New and frequent choking episodes

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
malude

New and frequent choking episodes

Post by malude » Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:15 am

Iris has started choking on a very regular basis. She first did it quite badly a couple of weeks ago and it took her several hours to clear it. She then developed a chest infection and so is on doxy/Baytril. But she now has small choking episodes quite often when she is having meds (mixed with soya pudding) and this morning when my OH went to giver her meds she had one lick and then drooled a load of stuff down him all speckled with blue from a lava ledge :o
Is a new onset of frequent choking something I should investigate? Could it indicate anything like an internal tumour affecting her gut/throat?
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

malude

Re: New and frequent choking episodes

Post by malude » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:10 pm

Wondering if maybe it could be a problem with her teeth meaning she can't grind stuff properly? She has also lost a little weight recently.
If anyone could shed any light I'd be very grateful, she has choked at least 3 times today alone...and those are just the ones we've witnessed :o. After she's cleared the perilla she's choking on now I'll check her teeth.

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:14 pm

I'm so sorry I can't offer any helpful advice. Her daughter Ripley ended up at the emergency vets one night when she was about 3 months old after they'd had bones to gnaw. She wasn't choking, but doing this weird thing that looked like she was trying to pull her head down into her neck. She had anti inflammatory & painkiller and thankfully I've never seen her do it again.

lots of love to you and Iris xxx
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

malude

Post by malude » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:45 pm

Thanks for the love :love:
It's definitely choking, she is doing the classic wretching and drooling and pulling her ears back. The first time it was on some soft/soaked food so I thought it was too thick so I haven't fed her that again. Then it was on meds with Nutrical and soya pudding, so I stopped adding gloopy Nutrical. But now it seems she chokes on just about anything, solid or soft. I scatter feed so no wolfing stuff down from a bowl. Tonight in free range I scattered some perilla seeds and she choked the moment she ate :( She is now sitting miserably trying to clear it and so I can't give her her meds. She's had a week of doxy/baytril but I was aiming for more like 10-14 days but if she spends all night choking she'll totally miss tonight's dose and I'm wary of the risk of resistance so not sure if I should just end the course and monitor.
I'm just so confused as to why a rat who has never knowingly choked before is now choking several times a day on almost anything :-? :(

rattypetrolhead

Post by rattypetrolhead » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:26 pm

malude wrote:I'm just so confused as to why a rat who has never knowingly choked before is now choking several times a day on almost anything :-? :(
Sorry you've got another poorly on your hands atm :( My Summer was a serial choker but never had a problem clearing her throat... she had quite serious nasal scarring, but not an infection like Iris. Is it worth trying Iris on an anti-inflammatory? I'm just thinking along the lines of a sore throat - if it's already sore and inflamed is she more likely to choke again? Could she be making the problem worse each time she chokes? :( Hope Iris is feeling better soon x
Susie, Alfie, Norman, Echo, Sierra, Fox, Blyth, Clacket, Knutsford, Glenda, Daff, Thirteen, Pickle, Tuesday and Spike

Missing you lots - Dot, Daisy, Summer, Grace, Clover, Juno, Ruby, Fox's bubs, Mamma, Twinny, Rammy and Sheena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

malude

Post by malude » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:50 pm

Thanks for the reply, if she stops choking for long enough I'll try her on a drop of metacam. We were wondering if a whiff of gas and a quick scope to look in her mouth and throat might be worth while in case there is something causing this. I just need to try and find a new vet, if I was in Plymouth still I'd probably already have her booked in for this but having just moved her timing is awful :roll:

beckie2040

Post by beckie2040 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:40 pm

One of mine is also suffering with his breathing at the moment, and choked a couple of times whilst I was giving him his meds mixed with baby food, but he hasn't done it for a few days now, thank god, and it doesn't sound as bad as yours.

I was wondering with mine if it was just because he was so congested that eating and breathing at the same time were impossible - a bit like we get when we have colds where your nose is so blocked you just cannot breathe whilst eating, and that he just wasn't realising he needed to take breaths between mouthfuls.

I hope your girl gets better soon :)

hlcasey

Post by hlcasey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:32 pm

I only had one rat suffer choking and it was following a stroke, although Delilah eats too quickly and has mini chokes. I cant really offer any advice, but I hope she gets better soon x
I <3 my ratties

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:12 am

If she's choking a lot, regularly, following a life-time of not choking, then I'd guess there is something wrong with her swallow reflex - either a blockage, or an actual neurological reflex problem. I'd get her down the vet asap, and have them check her under gas.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

malude

Post by malude » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 am

Thanks, I have an appointment this afternoon. If they find nothing physically wrong presumably then this suggests a neuro issue. In which case would it be kindest to pts? It seems unfair to have her choking so frequently and essentially not able to eat nearly enough food :( Any thoughts?
If they find a tumour or something inoperable then I guess pts is the best option there too :-?

rattypetrolhead

Post by rattypetrolhead » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:26 am

Hope the appt goes well this afternoon - can't offer any more advice, but wanted to give you my support x
Susie, Alfie, Norman, Echo, Sierra, Fox, Blyth, Clacket, Knutsford, Glenda, Daff, Thirteen, Pickle, Tuesday and Spike

Missing you lots - Dot, Daisy, Summer, Grace, Clover, Juno, Ruby, Fox's bubs, Mamma, Twinny, Rammy and Sheena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:02 pm

(((HUGS))) Ripley and I thinking of you and Iris xxx
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

malude

Post by malude » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Luckily the new vet seemed nice and open to me waffling on about Iris and her symptoms and what I'd done for her so far and my diagnostics ponderings so she is booked in for a quick anesthetic and scope to look down her throat tomorrow. Her chest isn't great though so she's a higher than normal anesthetic risk :( but I just don't think I have any option, I can't leave her like this.

secretpennell

Post by secretpennell » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:07 pm

Good luck Iris. :luck:
Rat Out of Hell Rescue

neela

Post by neela » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:51 pm

One of my older girls, Ellie, had chronic resp issues and went through a period of panicky/distressing choking episodes and regurgitating slimy brown gunk. Our vet said it might be an inflamed larynx. Ellie was put on to Zithromax + Doxy and a long-term maintenance pred dose and responded reasonably well (ie stopped the choking!) so we didn't have to resort to GA and never found out what it actually was. Best of luck to you and Iris :luck:
Lisa & the BatRats @ http://www.batrats.co.uk: Dicey, Roux, Busby, Fliss, Rae, Nancy, Dr Pepper, Darkling, Contra, Stanleymuffin.
At the bridge: Bernie Mac, Tesla, Elliot, Bunk, Bandy, Bobby, sorely missed and forever loved.