SDAV

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
scoobylyn

SDAV

Post by scoobylyn » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:51 pm

I am pretty sure we have got SDAV here. I noticed symptoms on Sunday with some ill rats looking tired and porphy and with very laboured breathing. A friend also reported the same symptoms two days before in her rats. I lost one middle aged girl yesterday and today I found an old girl dead. One cage of year old lads all have throat swellings. It feels at the front of the throat and looks like they have excess skin and when you touch its swollen hard lumps. All of that cage have it. The cage about of old men all look pants and one there won't see the day out. The cage next to it of 6 month old girls, two of them have the swellings. The cage about of old girls all have it but no swellings.

I have 15 x 6 week old kits here and they all seem fine. All the 10-12 week old kits are fine.

I have 3 does due to birth in the next few days and one of those is very respy.

I have started treating the ones showing lethargy and fluffed fur with baytril and doxy and added metacam to those with swellings. I put last night into everyones drinking water 2 soluble disprin in 500mls of water and added some dr squiggles. How often do you change the water and do you top straight up with more disprin?

Long shot but would the disprin cause any swellings in the front of the throat? None of them have eye swellings.

I really need some help here as not sure what meds to give etc.

Should I PM any? I have one on deaths door who could be pts and bloodtested.
http://www.brammocksrattery.co.uk - breeding for Russian & British Blue, Black Eyed Siamese and Burmese
http://www.raundsratrescue.co.uk
http://www.snugglefuzzies.co.uk - luxury hammocks and bedding for ferrets, rats and other furries.

Amzy

Re: SDAV

Post by Amzy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:30 pm

I don't want to read and run but I'm not the best at sdav advice.

Stormsmuggler had it back in March and the thread is here... I had contact with her prior to her first loss and I blanket treated all mine with baytril and anyone sounding dodgy with doxy and baytril, but I had no losses nor swollen necks/eyes etc. When I realised she had it and I potentially had it. All my rat stuff was thoroughly cleaned (I used household disinfectant as I think I read it killed bugs) and all hammocks went on a hot wash etc

I know when her Tats looked like she was at deaths door with it and her 3 brothers had already passed she had a steroid injection which perked her up and she only recently passed.

x

Edit: Think a bit thing is getting fluids in also. I'd put dishes of squiggles around everywhere and lots of bottles with disprin, fresh water and squiggles.
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:27 pm

I just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear this and know what you are going through and that my thoughts are with you.
I think you should add details to the contagious infection thread stickied at the top of health pages to let other rat owners know where you have been recently, where any rats have come from ie rescues etc. I presume people have been out to see/choose their babies and now won't be able to have them until your in the clear again.
I hope it can be contained and hope you suffer no more losses. Keep everyone informed. ((Big hugs))
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.
Home of Chelsea bun mini muffins and some of park rats and parkies :)
to the 33 at the bridge I love and miss you all

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:28 pm

How is everyone? x
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Just wanted to say how sorry I am. This is something that scares me rigid. It's scary that it seems however careful you are, this isn't a guarantee that it won't get in.
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

Ceslater

Post by Ceslater » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:59 pm

i am so sorry you are going through this, i have no words of advice just sending you lots of love. x
deimos...kale...rowan...elvis
jack, alfie, obe, bean, bali and petal. love you all always. x
http://outfitappropriate.blogspot.com

scoobylyn

Post by scoobylyn » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:43 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying its been manic here. I have 63 rats down with this and over 40 on meds twice a day. We have lost 3 so far. 6 of the babies are sneezy and have sore eyes. All of my young year old lads are down with it and two have throat swellings. All my 18 month old lads (5) have it and excessive porph. Two of my old girls (2) are very very rattly and I am worried about them. Everyone looks like they have flu. Luckily all want to eat and are drinking. They are loving their warm special food. Tonight they had cous cous mixed with chopped spinach and brocolli, sweeetcorn, and I made up some high protein chicken soup mixed with some ferret biscuits and lactol. That was wolfed down. They are all up and about waiting to be fed when I go in which is reassuring but eating sends them back to bed afterwards.

For those who have had what meds did you use, what dose and for how long? How long before they started getting more back to normal?
http://www.brammocksrattery.co.uk - breeding for Russian & British Blue, Black Eyed Siamese and Burmese
http://www.raundsratrescue.co.uk
http://www.snugglefuzzies.co.uk - luxury hammocks and bedding for ferrets, rats and other furries.

stormsmuggler

Post by stormsmuggler » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:54 am

:( You must be going through hell at the moment. On both occasions that I had this, ironically the rats I lost were the ones that showed no symptoms, 3 big strong brothers 17 months old. After that the old and fraile passed. Those that showed symptoms such as porph, laboured breathing etc seemed to pull through but after that their immune system is compromised and something as simple as stress, mites etc would take them suddenly further down the line.
Baytril and doxy combo the onesw that have symptoms, Septrin for any under 6 months and keep them on it for a good 4 weeks, even if the symptoms clear up and they look well again.
Be very thourough with every cage clean, use one of the anti bacterial cleaners such as Dettol or Savlon, hot wash your hammocks. Don't move on or take in any rats for at least 6 weeks.
Cover the cages in bottles containing everything from fresh water, squiggles, lactol water with soluble asprin in it. Getting the fluids in is important especially for those that aren't too keen on eating much any that are struggling to eat make up complan or something similar for them. Try and keep the room relatively cool, no bright sunlight etc.
Got everything crossed for you and hope they all pull through. Much love sent your way.
Raz@hotel for rats. 23 boys, 11 girls :D Auntie Raz to 17 crazy girlies, 4 big boys and a mouse called Maurice.
Home of Chelsea bun mini muffins and some of park rats and parkies :)
to the 33 at the bridge I love and miss you all