Post Castration Questions

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Hannah&Lee

Post Castration Questions

Post by Hannah&Lee » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:30 pm

Hello thanks for reading!
Dave has some serious behavioural problems so he’s getting the snip on Thursday, I brought a hideous pink savic hamster thing for his post op cage but have the following questions:
The vet said that I should take all 3 rats to the vets so that Dave doesn’t smell different and be rejected, is this right?

I put all 3 rats into the hideous pink post op cage for half an hour so they marked it so it smells like them, is this okay?

How long to I have to keep Dave separate for and do they need to be re-introduced?

Also I had an idea and would like to run it by you guys, I have a Jenny and can fit the hideous pink think into it, should I do it? So he can’t get roughed about so can heal but they can still be with each other and smell each other. Good or Bad idea?

Should I treat him any differently?

Do I feed him any differently?

Thanks
Hannah x

Golgotha_tramp

Re: Post Castration Questions

Post by Golgotha_tramp » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:41 pm

Heya,

with all my boys who have been fixed (4) they have been kept away from the rest of the group for a minimum of a week to heal, by then the smell will have gone. How long you should keep him separate will really depend on how long it takes for his hormones to subside (I have seen really aggressive rats on the forum take 3 months or more to completely chill out, others the day after). I would be prepared to keep him in separate for 2-4 weeks and play it by ear. I would follow "intro" methods but it shouldn't take too long or be too stressful. If there's lots of foofing etc. probably leave it a while.

With the cage in cage idea I did try this once and found that the boys would sit on top and get their toes nipped or the one in the cage would stick their nose though the bars and get their nose nipped.

Just keep an eye on him and make sure he doesn't open his stitches, when he gets back he will probably be groggy and in pain so Metacam will help with that (ask the vet for some/if they will give pain relief before coming home). He may not be too hungry so first day find something tempting for him, after that he won't need a specific diet.
Alex & The boys - Cathode, Sammy, Romulus, Remus, Sherman, Bohater, Rube and Fenrir.
Gone but not forgotten - :halo: Anode :dumbohalo: Fred

Flox

Post by Flox » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:41 pm

When I get my (latest problematic) boy done, my plan is to keep him alone only as long as he's groggy - then when he's perked up, put one of his 'friends' in (the one he bullies the least) so he's not alone through full recovery. Although they will be apart from the group for a while, I plan to re-introduce three groups together at once then, so they will ALL be confused, so that's a bit different to yours! But if there's anyone he doesn't have big issues with, it might be nicer for him to have company while he recovers, once he's less wobbly from the ordeal itself.

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:32 am

When I have rats operated on (including my recent lad who needed castrating due to being a bit hormonal) I leave them in my carrier (tis a big one) until they come round and start eating well. Sometimes this is overnight, sometimes it’s hours. Then depending on how major the surgery is they either go into a low level cage with a quiet cage mate, or into a specially set up but more normal sized cage (pleanty of ramps and not too hard to get around) with all there cage mates. I class a neuter as a fairly minor surgical operation and as long as the rats doing well and not overly aggressive enough that they will start fighting when I put them back in then I put them in with the group. I would play it by eye, see how he’s getting on and if he’s bright and well then try him with his cagemates, if there’s no fighting or mess then leave them in together, making sure there’s pleanty of food and water at low levels for him.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:08 am

Hannah&Lee wrote:Hello thanks for reading!
Dave has some serious behavioural problems so he’s getting the snip on Thursday, I brought a hideous pink savic hamster thing for his post op cage but have the following questions:
The vet said that I should take all 3 rats to the vets so that Dave doesn’t smell different and be rejected, is this right?
Not as far as I know. Some people take an extra rat or two to the vet with them as company - it's a reasonable idea if they are all on good terms, but I've never bothered as they tend to be so groggy post-op that they don't seem to pay attention to other rats. Tbh, if you are planning on separating him post op anyway while he recovers I don't see the point, as if they are going to forget him (which I doubt) they'd do it then. he'll smell a bit odd post-op anyway - but it's never caused a problem for me.
I put all 3 rats into the hideous pink post op cage for half an hour so they marked it so it smells like them, is this okay?
Fine. Again, I've never done it, but it won't do any harm.
How long to I have to keep Dave separate for and do they need to be re-introduced?
Is he currently living separately from them? If he is, I'd give it a week or so for his hormones to drop a bit, and then do intros as normal. If he's already living with them, I'd put him back in as soon as possible. Of the boys I've had done while living in a group the majority went straight back in the main cage and a couple I kept separate overnight as they were either very groggy, or their friends were showing too much interest in the wound. I'd see how he reacts to the anaesthetic and then apply common sense. If he's likely to fight, I'd keep him out. as far as healing goes, rats heal very quickly - I've found that wounds that reopen (due to chewing normally) happen in the first 24 hours - after that they tend to be fine.
Also I had an idea and would like to run it by you guys, I have a Jenny and can fit the hideous pink think into it, should I do it? So he can’t get roughed about so can heal but they can still be with each other and smell each other. Good or Bad idea?
Probably not - rats with bars between them, even if they like each other normally, can get a bit silly - often results in bitten toes. I'd either keep him properly separate, or put him properly in, depending on his current attitude towards them.
Should I treat him any differently?
Depends how he reacts to the anaesthetic. If he seems normal you can treat him as normal - if he seems groggy you need to keep an eye on him as they can sometimes do odd things (I had one try and pull his toenails out - unsuccessfully fortunately). You need to keep a close eye that he isn't chewing his wound as reopening them is a sport for some rats. It is most traditional for them to leave it alone all day, and then reopen it shortly after the vet closes. Reopening it while the vet is open and easily accessible is considered unsporting for some reason :roll:
Do I feed him any differently?
He has to have easy access to lots of water - mine always seem very thirsty. He may not be that hungry at first, but he should eat sooner rather than later, so give him really yummy stuff to graze on (cooked, grain, or pasta with a bit of oil, cooked veg, fruit, whatever he really likes)
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

Hannah&Lee

Post by Hannah&Lee » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:53 am

Hey thanks for all your great advice! I will take Austin with him to the vets as they get on the best just hope they dont castrate the wrong one!
They are living together, its only in free range that Dave is most aggressive and bullies the others.
However sometimes in the cage (every 3-4 days) he attacks Munchy and its quite scary alot of squeaking and squealing its very vicious, I just dont want this to happen while hes healing as everything will rip open.
Im going to take all of your advice on board and play it my ear and see how he is and how hes reacting to the op and others!
Thanks so much! I really love being part of this forum it puts my mind at rest!
Thankyou!
Hannah x

Sarah_B

Post by Sarah_B » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:41 am

Hannah&Lee wrote:Hey thanks for all your great advice! I will take Austin with him to the vets as they get on the best just hope they dont castrate the wrong one!
They are living together, its only in free range that Dave is most aggressive and bullies the others.
However sometimes in the cage (every 3-4 days) he attacks Munchy and its quite scary alot of squeaking and squealing its very vicious, I just dont want this to happen while hes healing as everything will rip open.
Im going to take all of your advice on board and play it my ear and see how he is and how hes reacting to the op and others!
Thanks so much! I really love being part of this forum it puts my mind at rest!
Thankyou!
Hannah x
When I got my two problem boys castrated they were away from the other boys for about 2 months due to certain things and they reintro'd perfectly. The other boys definitely remembered them. The naughty boys are now much better behaved after their castration and I finally have one big happy group! They used to be worse at free range time and would foof up constantly but now they only do it every now and then.
♥ Cabbage, Sprout, Bean, Bandit, Croque Monster, Peanut, Jam and two unnamed Rattray babies ♥ R.I.P. Flapjack, Sallad, Gherkin, Jim, Doogh and Heathcliff

Rat hammocks, cubes and tubes for sale!