URGENT LINK TO RAT SWING PLEASE

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
malude

URGENT LINK TO RAT SWING PLEASE

Post by malude » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:22 pm

I NEED THIS LINK URGENTLY PLEASE.
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

Amzy

Re: URGENT LINK TO RAT SWING PLEASE

Post by Amzy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:31 pm

Choking rat - The symptoms of a rat choking are drooling and pulling the head back in gagging motion, flattening the ears. In most cases the blockage does not stop the rat from breathing and the best thing you can do is stay calm to try to help the rat to remove the blockage. Normally the blockage will work its way out given time and veterinary assistance is rarely necessary. If choking persists for more than about 6 hours then you must take your rat to a vet. The object lodged in the throat may be too big to pass down, or the cause may be a tumour or some other problem, rather than something the rat has tried to eat. Sometimes respiratory illness can cause gagging and choking symptoms.

If the rat cannot breathe, then it is imperative you assist quickly. You can try the Heimlich manoeuvre pressing sharply up and in underneath the ribcage in an attempt to dislodge whatever is stuck in the rats throat. Another method is described in Deb Ducommun's Rat Health Care book as "the fling".

"Hold your rat firmly around the neck with one hand, and by the base of the tail with the other to hold her securely. Make sure there are no objects within an arm's length. Lift the rat overhead and bring her down in a rapid arc, so that at the end of the path she's tail up and head down. This can be repeated 3-4 times, then give the rat a rest, check her breathing, and see if anything is visible in the mouth. This is extremely effective in dislodging objects in the throat. However, don't use this procedure if your rat can breathe, or you might make it worse."
ETA: Source - here I hope she is okay xxxxxxxx
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:37 pm

More info I've found:

http://www.ratfanclub.org/firstaid.html

http://www.ratballs.com/RatTails/Tails098.html

When Fortune choked badly I used the sling I quoted on first reply - it disloged whatever it was, and she sounded respy and was lethargic for a good 8 hours after x

ETA: found the link I was after in the first place - here
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave

malude

Post by malude » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:46 pm

I've swung her twice, she at least now seems to have some air entry but is doing major open mouth gasping like she is really struggling to dislodge it. She only had 2 licks of soya pudding :(

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:49 pm

I dunno if this is the right or wrong thing to do but when it happened to fortune I cleaned all the gunk out her mouth to try and make room for as much air as possible and I kept her with me by my side. She did sound horrificly respy and slept for a solid 8 hours on my bed after it happened.

I've not got much experience other than that :(

malude

Post by malude » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:57 pm

I'm setting up a hospital cage to put in our room overnight. My friend has given me a phone number for her vets who she says are good (she has cats though) and I'm gonna call them tommorrow to ask about their rat experience and if I'm happy book iris in for investigation. This choking is getting totally ridiculous now, we can't go on like this :(

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:04 pm

I can't even imagine how it must feel not to have a vets you trust to get to - and I know how good Woodlands are :(

I'd suggest that if you're willing to travel to a known good one recommened by someone on here - even 1/2 hours away its worth starting there with Iris as this could be quite complicated :(

Give her gentle scritches from me xxx

malude

Post by malude » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:28 pm

It feels totally helpless not having a vet I know and trust. If I was in Plymouth I'd have had her investigated by now or taken her for an emergency investigation tonight. There aren't many rat people in Norwich so I haven't had any really good recommendations. So I'll have to phone my friend's vet and hope :-?

secretpennell

Post by secretpennell » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:03 am

I can't think of anything to help Jude. I'm sorry you have another poorly rat. :( xxxx
Rat Out of Hell Rescue

myzoo

Post by myzoo » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:09 am

:hearts: sending lots of possitve vibes and good health.it must be horrible for you but the best thing you can do is try to stay calm and do everything you can untill you can get her to the vets.
my thoughts are with you sending lots of cuddles and scritches your way :girly: xx

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:19 am

sending lots of love
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

rattypetrolhead

Post by rattypetrolhead » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:44 am

Feel better soon Iris x
Susie, Alfie, Norman, Echo, Sierra, Fox, Blyth, Clacket, Knutsford, Glenda, Daff, Thirteen, Pickle, Tuesday and Spike

Missing you lots - Dot, Daisy, Summer, Grace, Clover, Juno, Ruby, Fox's bubs, Mamma, Twinny, Rammy and Sheena xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:32 am

malude wrote:It feels totally helpless not having a vet I know and trust. If I was in Plymouth I'd have had her investigated by now or taken her for an emergency investigation tonight. There aren't many rat people in Norwich so I haven't had any really good recommendations. So I'll have to phone my friend's vet and hope :-?
Ziggy knows that neck of the woods really well so I would PM her :)
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:24 am

How is she this morning?
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

malude

Post by malude » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:25 am

Thanks everyone. She is still with me this morning thank goodness and has stopped choking. I'll update when she has seen a vet.