Age of elective spays

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
acapae_wolf

Re: Age of elective spays

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:57 am

Neotoma wrote:Unscientific personal opinion
I like those :) Thanks Alison.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:50 pm

Apart from my 1st two girls when I was still learning I've spayed around 4-5 months. The first 2 may have been a bit older.

I've had 4 girls get to around 3 years old and no lumps, 2 girls get to about 2.5 I think, again no lumps

Of girls who haven't lasted so long 3 had bad mycoplasma (my first girl, and 2 rescues who were dumped beside a river in February when only about 8 weeks old), Lucy Liu, another rescue, I had no idea what age she was when she came to me and she had something wrong in her head we think and was having little seizures, and dear Newt who went at 19 months (all of that bunch don't seem to have the best genes :( )
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:55 pm

Thanks for replying Nicky! The rats in question are only 11 weeks at the minute, so it won't be for a while yet, but I like to have things planned out/ properly considered in advance. At least where any form of big decision is involved anyway. Hopefully they'll be going up to stay with tabi for a fun filled holiday when the time comes :wink:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

longlegs

Post by longlegs » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:45 am

My vet prefers to spay them as soon as they are physically big enough. Most of the routine spays we've had done have been between 9 and 14 weeks old, and recently we had two done at 6 months and one at around 10 months. The ones we had done slightly older are still young and healthy, so I can't say yet if there is a difference in results. I've certainly had no problems with the young ones going through surgery, in fact the younger they are the more likely it is they are of the opinion that nothing has happened to them - monkey barring, leaping around etc hours after the op seems pretty common!
Katie and the Kahini Rats xxx
:hearts: Many gone but never forgotten :hearts: