viral menengitis

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
worthysmum

viral menengitis

Post by worthysmum » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:55 pm

On friday I found one of my siamese boys lying dead on the bottom of the cage. He had showed no signs of being ill, was a good weight and looked in the bloom of health. So it was a huge shock, there was not a mark on him either. He lived in a cage with his four brothers. Today whilst cleaning the rats out Smeagle, a litter brother to Smeadley who died, began screaming and thrashing about the cage, it was terrifying to see. His screams were terrible, I could not get hold of him and he continued like this for well over a minute. He finally dropped to the floor went rigid and shook, then fell unconscious. By the time I had picked him up and massaged his little body he started to come to, he was then just very sleepy. I took him to my vet, but sadly he had a massive fit while the vet was examining him and he died. I have left the vet to do an autopsy on the poor little man, he suspects menengitis, I didnt even know rats could get this. I am so worried for the three remaining boys, they all look well, but so did Smeadley and Smeagle. Also I have thirty other rats all in the same room, Im so, so worried. I feel so helpless and scared to go in the rat room. Has anyone else had this in a rat. I have not had any new rats in for the last six weeks, I havent been to any shows or had contact with any other rats, nor been to any pet shops. :cry:
Love is....a dumbo rat

KatieJ

Re: viral menengitis

Post by KatieJ » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:06 pm

I also lost a boy on Saturday due to suspected meningitis or encephalitis, I believe the symptoms/progression is similar. He became poorly very suddenly. It was a total shock. A thread on the NFRS forum that I had seen that very day said that another lady lost two of hers last week to the same/similar condition and that this year it seems more prevalent than in previous years. I'm crossing my fingers that no more become ill here. I also had previously had no rat related contact for a good few weeks. It's scary how it seeminly comes out of nowhere. The only symptom I had seen was a fluffed coat on my boy the day before he became so drastically ill. If I see it on any of the others they'll be straight down the vets for an AB & steroid jab to see if that helps at all. I hope the rest of your rats remain healthy. Thinking of you x
::Katie::
~Wisdom~Bounty~Sparrow~Sunshine~Arfur~Wilson~Deeks~Oakie~

worthysmum

Post by worthysmum » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:58 pm

sorry to hear about your boy, it is so scary how quickly it happend. Smeagle had the first fit at about one oclock by three he had gone. I honestly saw no signs of illness in either of them. I have just checked them all again and they all seem ok, they have all just tucked into roast potatoes, brussels and peas! My vet hasnt given me any abs for my remaining boys as they wont be any good against a virus. So Im wondering what if any treatment they can have. He has promised to ring me first thing with the results of the autopsy. I just dont understand where this has come from. I hope the rest of your ratties stay well.
Love is....a dumbo rat

worthysmum

Post by worthysmum » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Im so sad as I have now lost Smurf from the same group of boys :cry: It is so awful to see, the fits are so massive and so scary. Just two boys left out of five brothers.
Love is....a dumbo rat

Felix

Post by Felix » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:49 pm

I'm so sorry :(

whoopdedoo

Post by whoopdedoo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:07 pm

I'm so sorry, and so upset for you that you're losing them in such an awful way. I'm sending your two brothers healthy, lucky vibes, and love to you :love:

Sarah x

worthysmum

Post by worthysmum » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:55 pm

Thank you. Just spoken to my vet this morning and he feels as helpless as me, out of desperation they are on abs but this is unlikely to be of any use :(
Love is....a dumbo rat

myzoo

Post by myzoo » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:47 pm

:( IAM so sorry to read this rip little ones. i wounder if thats what happened the the ones ive lost ive posted about mine here http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/v ... 8&start=45 but it sounds like what happened with mine they was fine at play time and by evening where dead.one died the week before another during that week then 3 in the same day so i lost 5 all together for unknown reasons.
i know its so sad to lose them in this way with no warnings.

i hope to god nobody else has to go through this rip everybodys little uns xxxxxxxxx :hearts:

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:39 pm

Antibiotics will be useless if it is a virus i'm afraid.
I would also avoid steroids personally, as this can speed up infections. Can your vet send some CSF off for cultures and PCR?
I'm so sorry you are having to go through this :(

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:48 pm

So sorry (((huge hugs))) :hearts:
We've got everything crossed that your other boys are okay :love:

Debz :dumbogirly:
Proudly owned by the ratty gang :dumbogirly: Poppy, Brown nose, Sage and seven adorable rescues :love:
Gone but forever in our hearts our special girls :rainbow: Dill, Parsley, Basil, Midge, Whisper and Parsnip :rainbow:

petrify

Post by petrify » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:47 pm

Gosh, I am so sorry.

I dont have any advice, just wanted to voice my support xx
Rayne & Myst Sleeping:Tempest, Ghost, Whisper, Casper, Lara, Flick, Hopeful, Little Bit, Phoenix, Lady-bum, Embie, Tommy, Fernie, Bea, Aurora, Hazel & Willow, Freya, Missy. Goos Harold & Humphrey