Abscess nearly gone - intros?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
kammi_sparky123

Abscess nearly gone - intros?

Post by kammi_sparky123 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:17 pm

Stu's abscess is about 95% done now, there is barely anything there, just a little and so I am still soaking it and stuff is coming out but it is nearly all gone..

I was waiting until it was cleared and healed until I started intros, but I am fed up of him being on his own now!

It started as a largeish hole, now it has mostly healed over except a tiny bit where the stuff can still come out - but it doesn't even look/seem like a hole now, more just a small leakage point (sorry :lol: )

Soo... would he be okay if I started intros? Like I just do "out of cage" intro's for a couple of days to give him a few more days, but I would really like him to have some company lol

I would have started already but wasn't sure if the infection from the abscess should be kept just to stu, or if it would be okay?
x Kammi x
Star, Ivy, Alice, Meeka and Stuart :hearts:
Amelia, Mable, Steve, Piper, Rosie, Lilly :rainbow: :hearts:

RetroLemons

Re: Abscess nearly gone - intros?

Post by RetroLemons » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:56 pm

I see no problem with starting intro's between them now, when Paddy had an abscess he was kept in the same cage as everyone else and there were no issues.

I would definitely see about him getting some girlfriends, poor man :wink:
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:03 pm

I don't know. Perhaps the 'London Agouti' abcesses were different but they certainly did spread to most of the other rats in my cage and caused havoc to their health. I firmly believe one of my rats died because of them. :(

I know the LA case was perhaps more invasive than usual but if you can wait a bit I would do tbh. Better safe than sorry.
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:10 pm

Hanlou wrote:I don't know. Perhaps the 'London Agouti' abcesses were different but they certainly did spread to most of the other rats in my cage and caused havoc to their health. I firmly believe one of my rats died because of them. :(

I know the LA case was perhaps more invasive than usual but if you can wait a bit I would do tbh. Better safe than sorry.
From what I read they were different, I cant remember the details behind it but this is just a normal post op abscess which a few rats get after with no negative consequences to their cage mates.

Sorry to hear about your rats :( I guess I can understand why you would wait.

ETA: I thought I would look it up, I've quoted the bit of importance but here is the link.
tabirat wrote:Well many of the London agoutis carried a strain of E coli that produced frequent neck (and occasionally other areas) abscesses. After many months it became clear that this was passed on to other rats living with the rats longterm (presumably from eating the faeces of the infected animal) though not through any other means. The way it all works took a while to suss out (initially it looked like our breeder bred rats were immune), and I just happened to be unlucky enough for it to be my breeding colony of tabi line Nezumi girls who are the affected cage group (ie the group that Buckingham - our LA rescue - lived with).
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

kammi_sparky123

Post by kammi_sparky123 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:10 am

Well I have left it the extra two days, Stu is looking fab so will start intros today! :D
x Kammi x
Star, Ivy, Alice, Meeka and Stuart :hearts:
Amelia, Mable, Steve, Piper, Rosie, Lilly :rainbow: :hearts: