I really need help

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
angiee-w

Re: I really need help

Post by angiee-w » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:00 pm

thanks, i know he hasn't given up yet. every morning when i wake up hes always right by my face sleeping and when i stroke him he does the biggest stretch and gives me licks. he looks happy or at least content to me, he woke me up in the night wanting more food.

i do accept he doesn't have long left, and that maybe in the next few weeks he will probably let me know hes ready :cry:

when i had molly, the day she was pts the vet told me we could try the injections but she probably wont live till the end of the week and that i would be prolonging her suffering. he said he doesn't put animals to sleep lightly and he did say with percy once the injections have no more affect on him that i should let him rest.
i can't see the vet until next tuesday because hes away but he is booked in so i'm really hoping by then i will have a better idea what is right for him.

his breathing is quite loud although he seems ok, should i worry that its quite loud? :(
<3 Eddie, Tiffany, Iris, Bluebell, Callie, Pearle <3
<3 RIP Boston Grace Molly Percy <3
.. This wont be a goodbye, but i will see you some day soon

angiee-w

Update- I really need help

Post by angiee-w » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:36 pm

I have just come home from work to find that Percy's lump looks a lot bigger. I don't understand how just over one night/ day it could grow so much :cry:

Its not going to get any small or is he going to get any bigger. I have decided next Tuesday i'm going to let him sleep :cry:

Ceslater

Post by Ceslater » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:44 pm

i'm so sorry it has to come to it, trust your judgement and treasure him whilst he's with you. x
deimos...kale...rowan...elvis
jack, alfie, obe, bean, bali and petal. love you all always. x
http://outfitappropriate.blogspot.com

angiee-w

Post by angiee-w » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:00 pm

he seems bothered by that lump, hes always washing and scratching his face. his breathing is loud and almost sounds like he is struggling :cry:

he still eats i don't know, i'm starting to feel i'm keeping him for me but this video i will link. does his breathing look heavier than normal? :cry:

i feel like i've failed him, i only want whats best for him :cry:

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:22 pm

You've not failed him at all, you've only tried to do your best for him. Personally I would pts sooner rather than later, to avoid him suffering. Its a really hard decision and I really feel for you :(
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

angiee-w

Post by angiee-w » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:26 pm

do you think in the video hes suffering/ struggling? :cry:

Jimi+Milo

Post by Jimi+Milo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:42 pm

I dont honestly know, his breathing does look a little laboured to me but I'm only judging off what Jimi was like when he was poorly near the end. I know what you mean about wanting him to pass at home and I think we would all love that but its not always the right thing. When Milo was ill we hoped for that too and I think we left him longer than we should have, I do think he suffered. With Jimi when he was at the point that he was still eating, drinking and having very small bits of happy time we pts because we knew he was only going to get worse from there, he wasnt suffering but we knew he would've been if we left him much longer. *hugs*
Hannah
Mummy to 2 boys Cheech and Chino :hearts:
Missing my sleeping little angel Milo and big squishy Jimi :hearts:

angiee-w

Post by angiee-w » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:50 pm

I cant believe I'm going to be saying bye to him :cry:

Hes the third one this year, the second rat that will be pts. I'm absolutely heart broken.. I can't wait to move to York, i feel like i will have more support there once i meet other rat lovers at the show :cry:

Sarah_B

Post by Sarah_B » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:13 pm

angiee-w wrote:I cant believe I'm going to be saying bye to him :cry:

Hes the third one this year, the second rat that will be pts. I'm absolutely heart broken.. I can't wait to move to York, i feel like i will have more support there once i meet other rat lovers at the show :cry:
I'm so sorry :( I've lost six this year and it really helps to have people nearby who know what you are going through.
♥ Cabbage, Sprout, Bean, Bandit, Croque Monster, Peanut, Jam and two unnamed Rattray babies ♥ R.I.P. Flapjack, Sallad, Gherkin, Jim, Doogh and Heathcliff

Rat hammocks, cubes and tubes for sale!

velvet_nothing

Re: Update- I really need help

Post by velvet_nothing » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:29 am

angiee-w wrote:I have just come home from work to find that Percy's lump looks a lot bigger. I don't understand how just over one night/ day it could grow so much :cry:

Its not going to get any small or is he going to get any bigger. I have decided next Tuesday i'm going to let him sleep :cry:
So sorry for what you're going through :( One thought - are you certain it's a tumour as opposed to an abscess? You say it has a nasty smell to it, which got me thinking (but perhaps I'm just being overly hopeful). A facial abscess would still be nasty, but treatable at least.

angiee-w

Post by angiee-w » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:13 am

I was meant to say hes not going to get any better :oops:

Well, two saturdays a go he had a really nasty nose bleed and i rushed him to the vet. He did say it could be that or a tumour and because Percy won't touch food with ab on it and making him take it stresses him out and he also spits it out the vet and i agreed every two weeks i would bring him in for an injection

Last time he had steroids, metacam and baytril but the lump hasn't got any better :cry:
He also seems bothered by the jump because he wont leave it a lone. If is was an abscess would it be better by now? Or at least smaller? :(

angiee-w

Post by angiee-w » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:56 pm

Tomorrow morning, Percy will be helped to cross over the rainbow
I'm dreading tomorrow I don't want to tonight to end but my baby will never have to hurt ever again :cry:

MissBlackEyeliner

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:01 pm

Awww i feel so sorry for you but your making the right choice!
Its horrible when one of our little ones has to go to the bridge!

xxx
From Erin
Polo, George, Dylan, Mini, Teddy and Stanley <3 xxx

Play hard on the bridge Brian (02/12/09), Bob (20/01/10), Spoon (13/04/11) and Jacob (28/05/11) xxx

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:12 pm

I'm so sorry Angie, I know what a difficult decision it is.

Thinking of you both xxx
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

Bazu

Post by Bazu » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:20 pm

I know exactly how you feel; I had to do the same a few months ago with one of my lot - the girl who was far and away closest to me out of the lot. The wait's horrible :(

The best advice I can give is to keep him close tonight and spoil him rotten. Isis was allowed a bit of cake and some of my tea, and had a wander in the grass outside, and alternated between squishpiles in the cage and playing with me. I know fully well that she had a wonderful last day, and that did make it a little easier.

Will be thinking of you - I know it's not an easy choice, but it's the right one :(
Orca, Minke, Myst, Nova, Exi and Fye

Never forget you Isis, my little whiskery angel...