Bleeding from ear?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Anthony

Bleeding from ear?

Post by Anthony » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:14 pm

Hey,

more rat drama for me, it appears. Whenever one problem gets fixed, another arises. Miles, a rat we got from Emma and James at Luxus rattery has started to bleed from his right ear. When I took him out of the cage for some one on one time there was no blood and when I went to put him back, I realised some blood from his ear, there are no cuts or anything. I tried to clear this up but the more I cleared it up the more blood came, he is an active little guy so didn't like being held down. he did squeek a little bit but I'm not too sure if this is from pain or just the fact that he was held down. As far as I can see there is no cut externally and it is 100% coming internally. I'm going to give my vets a ring but I'm just posting here for some advice as to what could be causing this?

ETA: my vets earliest emergency appointment is 5:50 tomorrow which I've booked. He also doesn't have a head tilt or anything

Thanks.
Ollie :dumbo:, Oskar :dumbo:, Riley :smileyrat:, Joey :smileyrat:, Rupert :smileyrat: Eska :teen: , Erik :teen: and The baby :dumboteen:, Miles :baby:, Axel :baby:

RIP Louis, Minnie & Ginger <3

Anthony

Re: Bleeding from ear?

Post by Anthony » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:46 pm

hey,

I've just smelt the end of he cotton bud With the blood on it and it smells like a light "puss" smell I guess? I can't explain, but it's like that infection smell? ;S Could this just be a inner ear infection? He doesn't seem to be tilting to any side or anything and he is acting completely normal.
Ollie :dumbo:, Oskar :dumbo:, Riley :smileyrat:, Joey :smileyrat:, Rupert :smileyrat: Eska :teen: , Erik :teen: and The baby :dumboteen:, Miles :baby:, Axel :baby:

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:57 pm

I don't want to alarm you but that can be one of the first signs of a ZGT. You may be lucky and it's just an ear infection but either way a high dose of antibiotic such as Synulox is a good idea. Does he have a swelling under his ear on his jawline?

Might be a good idea to contact the breeder if it is a ZGT as they will need to know as they can be hereditary.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:17 pm

Ratty_Rhian wrote:I don't want to alarm you but that can be one of the first signs of a ZGT. You may be lucky and it's just an ear infection but either way a high dose of antibiotic such as Synulox is a good idea. Does he have a swelling under his ear on his jawline?

Might be a good idea to contact the breeder if it is a ZGT as they will need to know as they can be hereditary.
Thanks for your reply, I've done a quick search but can't find a proper answer as to what ZGT is, sorry ;x *feels like an idiot*. I do have a copy of the Fancy Rats Guide to Common Illnesses, do you by any chance know if there is an article about ZGT in there that I could perhaps show my vet? Miles doesn't have any swelling or anything anywhere, I did a quick check over when I found the blood and other than the ear he seems completely normal.

Also, as I don't know what ZGT is, what does it do and does it cause certain death eventually or can it be treated?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I've seen it mentioned a lot but no idea what ZGT actually stands for.

Thanks again for yoru reply!

ETA: He is only coming up to 5 months old, so he's still a youngun if that could make any difference!

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:27 pm

I'm posting from my phone so I can't get you links but try Rat health guide. If you google Zymbal's Gland Tumour Rat health guide you should get some articles.

Basically it is a tumour of the Zymbal's gland which is located just under the ear along the jawline. It is accompanied by an abcess on top of the tumour which fills and pops cyclicly depending on how long the rat survives. My last girly we had PTS 2 weeks after diagnosis as it was very aggessive and she'd given up but my old boy who had it was PTS 7 months after he was diagnosed. He was on Synulox and metacam to try and delay the inevitable. Hos tumour eventually grew out of his ear and he was starting to get malocclusion so we decided to call it a day. The tumour can grow inwards or outwards and normally do more damage quicker if they grow inwards. Most people say not to operate as it will grow back quickly, the area is delicate and aome forum members who opted for it reported their rats didn't live long after the op but obviously that is a decision for you and your vet.
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:54 pm

Hey,

thanks again for your reply. if it was ZGT, what would the lump feel like? Would it feel like a tumour? (just because you said swelling), there is no swelling or anything, but he does have a little thing on the bottom of his jaw, it feels almost like a scab rather than a lump though and feel external, but he wouldn't keep still. I couldn't see any external mark though, but his fur on the bottom is pretty thick so it's hard to say.

I guess all i can do is wait, I don't mean to sound like an idiot again, but what should my vet be looking for to see if it is ZGT, will she just be looking for the lump or something else? I'd prefer not to have him put under any anaesthetic (after losing a girl to anaesthetic when being checked for a brain tumour).

Also, what should the dosage of Synulox be? It does say int he book, but I don't understand what it means :oops: Sorry for being such a hassle :rollred:

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:57 pm

lots of info

I've never had to deal with one so my advice would be pants - hope the vets goes ok!

x
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:58 pm

Anthony wrote:Hey,

thanks again for your reply. if it was ZGT, what would the lump feel like? Would it feel like a tumour? (just because you said swelling), there is no swelling or anything, but he does have a little thing on the bottom of his jaw, it feels almost like a scab rather than a lump though and feel external, but he wouldn't keep still. I couldn't see any external mark though, but his fur on the bottom is pretty thick so it's hard to say.

I guess all i can do is wait, I don't mean to sound like an idiot again, but what should my vet be looking for to see if it is ZGT, will she just be looking for the lump or something else? I'd prefer not to have him put under any anaesthetic (after losing a girl to anaesthetic when being checked for a brain tumour).

Also, what should the dosage of Synulox be? It does say int he book, but I don't understand what it means :oops: Sorry for being such a hassle :rollred:
It's tricky because the 2 I have had to deal with so far have been very different. The lump will feel quite hard as it will be an abcess. If it is a ZGT it may take a few weeks for this to appear anyway. I'd not advise putting under anaesthitic but administering palliative care as suggested by rat health guide.

This is the dosage for Synulox http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_ ... lanate.php but just as a guide for my boy he was on 1/4 tab twice daily which I think was the 50mg tabs.

Don't apologise. I was asking the same questions last September when I experienced my first one. Like I said, it may just be an ear infection so try not to worry. Get the Synulox into him and it will help both illnesses. The metacam is handy when you know it's a ZGT as it reduces inflammation and will help with the pain.

Member of the EC!

Anthony

Post by Anthony » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:02 pm

Thanks for all of your advice Rhian and the link Amzy, I've just gotten back from the vets. He has a ear infection in both ears! When we got there, the vet squeezed gently the base of the wrong ear (despite me saying it was the right :rollred:) she then realised she did the wrong ear but loads of puss and blood came oozing out, so he has it in both ears. She said we saw it just in time, because if it got any worse then it would be the point where he wouldn't be able to navigate at all, drink or eat since it is in both ears.

She said that it is fairly serious and looks like it's going to need a lot of treatment, she said if this was any other animal then she would expect him to be lying around feeling pretty *please do not swear*, she said that he is the perfect example as to why people go to breeders as he is acting completely normal and is obviously fighting the infection and is a tough lil' man!

Thnaks again! :D!

Ratty_Rhian

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:35 pm

So glad to hear that it's just an ear infection! Sorry if I paniced you with talk of ZGT but my assumption was if you had all the facts you and your vet would be able to decide between you if that's what he had and get a diagnosis quicker.

Hope he makes a fast recovery :luck:

Member of the EC!