Bleeding from Lady parts - Please help!

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Amzy

Re: Bleeding from Lady parts - Please help!

Post by Amzy » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:32 pm

Pretty sure Septrin is 0.1ml per 100g of rat. Same as Baytril =]
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

a_wee_one
Location: From Scunthorpe, now living in Rawcliffe, near Goole

Post by a_wee_one » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:45 am

acapae_wolf wrote:Is her breathing clear at the minute? The frequency of there being issues does increase the risk, but I'd take the situation as it is right now. One of mine has resp. issues on and off, and she recently had a lumpectomy (and spay given I have them done if there's no problems while under anaesthetic) during a gap in her breathing issues. Was nicely timed.

I don't know about septrin dosage, but have a look on rathealth/ ratguide?
eta - http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_ ... _sulfa.php I can't do maths though. Search function?
No her breathing is bad at the minute which is why she's already on septrin. They only ever get a few weeks clear. She's been on septrin now for just over a week.
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:46 am

Amzy wrote:Pretty sure Septrin is 0.1ml per 100g of rat. Same as Baytril =]
SAhe' on .45ml at the moment so that really is about the limit for her then as she is only a petite rat. She only weighs around 300g, give or take a few grams.
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:53 am

Aw boo :( Rats are awful at timings!
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:13 am

How is she doing?
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:19 am

She's been up and had a drink - gonna get her out ina moment and check her over. You're right about timing - we move in 11 days - i have chubbo who has a new lump, 3 with resp issues and now 1 of the 3 is bleeding from her hoohoo! :-?

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:21 am

Just had her out - bleeding looks a little less. She still doesnt look in pain, i had a bit of a poke at ehr belly to make sure it wasn't hard. Just waiting for the vet to call me back now.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:29 am

Glad she's feeling alright :)

Don't let less/ no/ any sort of change in the amount of bleeding fool you. Not that I think it would necessarily, but sometimes they do stop bleeding or it's only once or otherwise discontinuous - doesn't mean the problem has cleared up sadly. Not all of the above problems will result in visibly swollen tummies, but in my experience the ones that don't tend not to need/ as much pain relief, so that's good.

What was reccomended to after my last situation with this was to get the rat in question on an iron supplement. I was reccomended spa tone which is a human-intended naturally iron-rich water. It's about £7.50 for a *lot* from Boots. Much easier and better all round for long term increase/ support rather than looking for iron-rich foods alone. I've been using it to water down nommy foods as obviously the smell/ taste of iron is quite strong.
*~~Beri~~*

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:33 am

I could probably put a drop of natural cordial in to mask the taste. Waiting for vet to call still, she wanted me to speak to a nurse but i prefer my vet, i spoke to teh locum last night and she didn't really seem to know about rats.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:41 am

Yeah, I've done various things lol. Also if you want to put it in the water bottle rather than directly, it won't hurt those who don't need it as they just won't absorb the iron if they're fine. Good on you for insisting on talking to the vet.
*~~Beri~~*

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:45 am

Vet just called and has advised me to take her off the Corvental incase it's a side effect of that and is chasing up a jab of draaxxin (sp) for me, as that might give her the boost she needs to get a spay. It didn't even occur to me that it might be a side effect of their new meds. today she hasn't had corvental anyway and they only get a ball a day. So waiting on another call back from the vet.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:54 am

I've never heard of it being a drug side effect before.
*~~Beri~~*

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:59 am

She said she hadn't heard of it being a side effect either, but was going to call the company just incase and i was to take her off it (for now) and she will chase up draaxxin jabs for me. (which i'd opreviously enquired about but t was not something they kept as they don't deal with farm animals)

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:09 am

You could PM Neotoma about draaxxin as her vet willingly uses it - her mentioning recently was the first time I'd heard of it lol.
*~~Beri~~*

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:11 am

Yeah was the first time my vet had heard of it! I think it was that thread that i'd read it on. As mine have persistant resp issues i thought it might be a good thing to try with them.