Bleeding from Lady parts - Please help!

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
a_wee_one
Location: From Scunthorpe, now living in Rawcliffe, near Goole

Re: Bleeding from Lady parts - Please help!

Post by a_wee_one » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:22 pm

Ironically as me and Pinkfaerie are friends in real life too - one of mine has started with this, only spotting from her vagina not her pee nobble. I cleaned her up and it is only spotting, but she has such bad resp issues (she is already on septrin .45ml a day - this will be the 4th long course she's had in the last 8 months - she's also on a ball of corvental a day) i'm not sure if they will do a spay on her. I'm going to call and speak to my vet tomorrow. It's not much blood at the moment. Just a drop. I'm hoping i can up the quantity of septrin to see if that helps. :cry:
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

pinkfearie

Post by pinkfearie » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:34 pm

My fingers are crossed for you :( Alpha felt very cool when I took her to vets, not very warm or wriggly. Thats how the vet knew something wasnt right. Yours is quite warm tho so fingers crossed.

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:38 pm

I wouldn't have even noticed anything was up if i wasn't giving her meds, I flip her on her back to wrap her in a t shirt so they can't struggle and thats when i noticed. She is her normal self - not foofed, not cold - eating/drinking.

The only thing that concerns me is the fact it's vaginal and she has such bad breathing i suspect the vet won't operate. :x
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

yuuki_forever

Post by yuuki_forever » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:57 pm

Sadly I've had this recently. It was very sudden, a terrific amount of blood, and we couldn't save her. The vet took samples and scanned her, but her uterus was empty and there was no sign of bacteria/pus in the blood. Up until the bleeding started she was fine, just prone to phantom pregnancies. The only diagnosis the vet could think of was a kind of rat version of poly-cystic ovaries, but why she ruptured like that I will never know.
Wee-one, I'm sure your rat will be OK. Just keep going with AB's, and if they don't work you can start thinking about a spay. It's absolutely heartbreaking to lose a rat this way, I sincerely hope no-one else has to suffer the helplessness and guilt I did over Shirou. Sorry for your loss, pinkfearie, but I'm sure little Alpha is at peace now.
Rukia, Misaki and Mai

Forever in my heart; Rose, Buffy, Willow, Lucius, Malachi, Morrigan, Merrick, Yuuki and Shirou

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm quite lucky in that i always have a supply of some form of anti biotic as her and her sisters all have really bad resp issues. Same litter from the same pet shop. Lesson learned though - they're just not healthy beavers. :x

Called the emergency vet and she just advised me she would like have just prescribed me septrin anyway and just to keep giving her it and keep a watch to make sure it's no more than spotting. Tomorrow i'll ring my proper vet as she was sayign it could be hormonal ( and i know it can't be - rats don't have periods) so as she's ok in herself and not bleeding badly she is back in with the ladies and will be checked again tomorrow before i call the vet.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:14 pm

Pyometeria (infected uterus to the degree of being pus-filled) is just one of a number of possible problems associated with vaginal bleeding, and can be open or closed (no pus exits). There's also other infections, uterine/ ovarian tumours, uterine/ovarian polyps and cancer. For some reason posts on FR seem to denote pyo as the only cause for vaginal bleeding as 'catch all' term for all of the above. Which tbh is less than helpful!

Having said that, the actual cause does tend to only be diagnosable in hindsight (with the exception of an open pyo, which will have pus being passed also).

eta - a wee one, she might need some painkillers too. Do you have any to hand tonight until you can get some from the vets? If spaying isn't suitable given the rest of her health I'd whack it with a really high dose of ABs. Hopefully it is something that will pick up after ABs, but in most of the cases I've heard about this tends not to sort the problem out, or only sporadically :( It's why if spaying is an option in the situation it is reccomended that people do that straight away. Regardless of how she looks in the morning I would get in touch with your usual vet when they open as it's not always continuous and can be just a one-off case of spotting. Goodluck :luck:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:15 pm

She doesn't seem in pain but i have some metacam left over - i'll give her a couple of drops (it's the cat stuff).

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:17 pm

I wouldn't give her any if she's not looking in pain, but it's good to have to hand :) Even the cat strength metacam dosage is just a drop max for most rats. I tend to try and get less than a drop by squeezing and then touching the forming drop on the surface of whatever I'm mixing it with.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:22 pm

I only do the teeniest drop. I do it straight from the dropper i don't use the syringey thing that comes with it. That makes a globule not a drop! Won't give her any then - she seems fine in every other way. Normal wriggly self.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:25 pm

I do it straight from the dropper too, much easier lol :lol:
*~~Beri~~*

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:26 pm

Yeah it's much easier to control the amount. I don't know why they give you the *please do not swear* thing. Worst sringe design ever. :x

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:29 pm

I use it for measuring calcivet LOL.
*~~Beri~~*

littlebabyribbon

Post by littlebabyribbon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:32 pm

One of my old foster ladies had bleeding the other evening and in the morning on the way to the vets she had puss. When she was spayed it was discovered that she had a growth in her uterus. Shes all stitched up and hopefully on the way to a full recovery. It was a bit scary with her age but I think I wouldve been considering PTS pretty soon if we hadnt tried. FIngers crossed shes going to have a good few more months + now.

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:36 pm

My only worry is her breathing - her and her 3 sisters (there were 4 but unfortunately one was PTS a couple of weeks ago) have ongoing breathing issues. They get clear for a few weeks then it comes back - rattly chests and side sucking. I'm hoping when we move house ina couple of weeks it'll help as this house is really really damp. You literally can't put anything against the exterior walls cause it gets mouldy. This will be the 4th of 5th long course of Antibiotics.

Anyone know what the max dosage of septrin is for a 300g ratty?

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:39 pm

Is her breathing clear at the minute? The frequency of there being issues does increase the risk, but I'd take the situation as it is right now. One of mine has resp. issues on and off, and she recently had a lumpectomy (and spay given I have them done if there's no problems while under anaesthetic) during a gap in her breathing issues. Was nicely timed.

I don't know about septrin dosage, but have a look on rathealth/ ratguide?
eta - http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_ ... _sulfa.php I can't do maths though. Search function?
*~~Beri~~*