Seizures, fits - Heart? Meds?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Amzy

Seizures, fits - Heart? Meds?

Post by Amzy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:51 am

As if I hadnt had enough problems recently Treacle is now poorly!

She hasnt been 'right' over the past couple of days but on Monday I lost Winston who was the alpha of the cage.... and two weeks prior to that I had Mollie (whom she came into rescue with) PTS.... I put her not being right down to grief. She's quite old, and has 2 lumps.

Anyway, last night she seemingly started having Siezures. I noticed this in the cage where she'd act like she was being electricuted and fly around the cage like she was trying to get away from the pain, she'd then gasp for air and fling her head upwards as if to grab as much oxygen as possible. I removed her from the Freddy as it was starting to get dangerous and she would have ended up hurting herself. She continued to have these Siezures about once an hour. I removed her to a padded out carrier so she wouldn't be so much as at risk from hurting herself. Her mouth was also purple.

Is this the beginning of the inevetable? Vets jam packed with appts today :angry: so I don't have one until 5.10.
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave
Aunty to 30 & Half-Mum to 4 :hearts:

tagalong

Re: Seizures, fits - Heart? Meds?

Post by tagalong » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:59 am

sorry she's so poorly-it sounds like heart -the purple is lack of oxygen and that makes them react quite violently -hope vet can help -needs a diuretic probably to reduce fluid
My boys: Sooty ,Sweep, Cookie, Muffin ,Fugles
My girls: Roxy,Millie,Isabel ,Polly
and all my little ones past and present

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:04 am

tagalong wrote:sorry she's so poorly-it sounds like heart -the purple is lack of oxygen and that makes them react quite violently -hope vet can help -needs a diuretic probably to reduce fluid
I lost one to a heart attack 6 weeks ago - it was all very sudden - and she was purple so I assumed this was heart also :( She doesn't sound or behave respy when she's out of the seizures - I haven't seen one yet this morning but she's still quiet.

I've got a nebuliser - if that would help at all?

She is eating very very little and being very fussy with it :(
Amy&the girls: Mary Miffy Lily Cupcake Lucky Pickle Dina Seven Fortune Rowena Tianna Leila Aurora Enya Texalina Kiara :dumbogirly: & the boys!: Heinz Branston Hellmans & Dave

tagalong

Post by tagalong » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:29 am

nebuliser may help a little but tbh peace and quiet may be best if she is settled until the vet trip
hope vet can help
My boys: Sooty ,Sweep, Cookie, Muffin ,Fugles
My girls: Roxy,Millie,Isabel ,Polly
and all my little ones past and present

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:32 am

She's in the carrier - very shallow breathing and not interested in food etc.

Will see what the vet says

malude

Post by malude » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:41 am

How did it go at the vet?
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

Amzy

Post by Amzy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:58 am

malude wrote:How did it go at the vet?
I saw Kerry (not the vet of choice - was told I was seeing Sinead and got there and it had changed) however she was very good. I ended up having to take 3 down there - Lily needed a steroid and duretic for an on-going resp problem which I'm trying to shift. Wendy unfortunately needed helping to the bridge because of her massive mammory lump :cry:

I explained about the siezures and we came to a mutual agreement that we both thought it was heart failure. Treacle had one mammory lump (about the size of an acorn) but we could both feel another developing. Kerry couldnt feel any internal lumps but she seemed to think that the lumps may have traveled internally within her chest - she said that mammory lumps can spread to their chest/lungs - but I wasn't aware of this?!

We both came to a decision that we thought PTS would be kindest as we were only prolonging what was going to happen soon. Kerry said that at any point she could start having more seizures and these could turn out worse or be fatal. We thought it would be kindest to let her go... and although she isn't my regular vet I trusted her judgement.

So my darling Treacle and my darling Wendy went off to the bridge together :halo: :hearts: It was so hard, but it was for the best.

x

malude

Post by malude » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:16 am

I'm so sorry, you really are having a tough time at the moment. I've seen Kerry before too and she is good. She put one of mine to sleep (think it was Murray) and she was good at looking at all the options and helping me make the decision. It must be so hard losing 2 together :(
As for the lump spread thing, I guess maybe she meant a tumour metastasising and spreading to secondary places like human cancers do but I don't know for sure.
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo: