new rats...

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Lauraaa

new rats...

Post by Lauraaa » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:43 pm

I got 2 new rats today from someone who just needed to get rid of some babies, for some reason i took them home, and i dont know how i missed it, but they have missing fur! its only around the base of the tail , like a complete patch missing on both rats, i havnt any experience with mites but do you think thats it? theres no scabs, and for as long as ive watched them today they havnt scratched so maybe they had mites and got treated? and they stink! my 2 boys are about 2 or 3 months older and dont smell at all, but these 2 babies were in with about 7 other bucks.

How soon should I wait to bath them? theyre already quite confident with me, theres not the slightest bit of fear in them but obviously i wouldnt stress them out by bathing them their first day home! but they smell absolutely gross, and ive had a ferret that didnt smell as bad so far away!

squitchley

Re: new rats...

Post by squitchley » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:52 pm

I don't know about the missing fur sorry, but when I got my 2 girls they stunk! But now they've settled down, got a decent diet & bedding, they smell lovely. So they might just need time to settle down and everything before they start to smell nice. :)

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:01 pm

if the missing fur is a perfectly trimmed patch then they were probably barbarred in the cage by a cage mate. That and the smell should disappear once they settle down in a well cleaned out cage. If they've been on a lot of high protien food they may smell a bit more until there onto an adult diet though.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Lauraaa

Post by Lauraaa » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:22 pm

ok thanks! il check them over again tomorrow ive left them alone in a quiet room for now to settle down but i think it is probably barbering as theres no scabs that i can see etc

Lauraaa

Post by Lauraaa » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:58 am

gave them a bath, cant SEE any parasites, and theres definetly no scabs, its just a bit of missing fur, then a ring of fur around the base of the tail :-|

littlebabyribbon

Post by littlebabyribbon » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:59 pm

I think staph infections can cause patches of missing fur also.
If they have mites you wouldn't see them anyway as they're not visible to the naked eye. I would treat them with ivomectin drops just to rule out mites. I don't see the need in bathing them.

Lauraaa

Post by Lauraaa » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:11 pm

i bathed them because they were smelling and actually looked dirty lol ok thanks. they enjoyed it anyway

littlebabyribbon

Post by littlebabyribbon » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:32 pm

Sorry, should've specified that my comment on bathing was in relation to solving a skin infection or mite problem.

Lauraaa

Post by Lauraaa » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:56 pm

yeah i know! was just saying it wasnt a complete waste of time, i hate how text can come across horribly online :P il get them something for mites anyway, theres a spot on in wilkinsons and pets at home for rats, rabbits and ferrets (i think its all 3?) will that do? or am i better off getting a spray or something? il go look at reviews now anyways lol

littlebabyribbon

Post by littlebabyribbon » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:10 pm

I think the beapher one is recommended, might've got the spelling wrong. Its from pets at home. The bob martin one is useless!

fatsoratso

Post by fatsoratso » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:24 pm

Could also be ringworm - my rats have had it in the past and the first sign has always been bald patches. You could get your vet to do a culture and get some spray to treat it if it is ringworm. It is contagious though (even to humans) so use antibacterial handwash when you've handled them just in case. I caught ringworm off one of my rats once and it wasn't fun :-?

Lauraaa

Post by Lauraaa » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:52 pm

beaphar it is then 8)

ringworm eek! cant you see ringworm in the skin though? il look it up now

im reading far too much today lol

fatsoratso

Post by fatsoratso » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:24 pm

When our rats first got ringworm you could see scabs but when it came back a few months later there was no sign of skin irritation, just the fur loss.

Lauraaa

Post by Lauraaa » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:33 pm

ok thanks for the warning!