My hairless rat doesnt seem to be growing.

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
casw

My hairless rat doesnt seem to be growing.

Post by casw » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:48 pm

My hairless rat doesnt seem to be growing. ive had him 2 or 3 week and hes still tiny. i thought he might have grown abit but hes still tiny.

Jemma

Re: My hairless rat doesnt seem to be growing.

Post by Jemma » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:53 pm

How old was he when you got him, and what are you feeding him on. Some rats grow very slowly and some faster, as long as he looks healthy then he's probably ok, a lot of hairless rats i've met have been small and never really filled out in the way most furred rats do.
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

casw

Post by casw » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Jemma wrote:How old was he when you got him, and what are you feeding him on. Some rats grow very slowly and some faster, as long as he looks healthy then he's probably ok, a lot of hairless rats i've met have been small and never really filled out in the way most furred rats do.

the guy said he was 8 weeks. i feed him rat food, fruit, bit of bread, and gave him a bit of salad today. hes got a sneeze so im hoping hes not ill. he looks very healthy. hes active too.

Bazu

Post by Bazu » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:24 pm

What exactly do you mean by "rat food"? Like, is it a pre-made shop-bought mix, or nuggets, or your own mix? There might be a clue in there.

Do you know how big he is? Weight's probably the best guide to go by, if you can give us that :)
Orca, Minke, Myst, Nova, Exi and Fye

Never forget you Isis, my little whiskery angel...

casw

Post by casw » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:29 am

Bazu wrote:What exactly do you mean by "rat food"? Like, is it a pre-made shop-bought mix, or nuggets, or your own mix? There might be a clue in there.

Do you know how big he is? Weight's probably the best guide to go by, if you can give us that :)

hes about 4 or 5inches body length. i dont believe he was 8 week old when i got him i think the breeder just wanted to rehome him as he rehomed the others and he was a lone baby rat by himself. this guys got a good reputation for breeding rats but im not sure about the age. he said ''hes 8 week old and because hes a mutant rat he will grow slower than normal furry rats''.

how do i weight him? i only have human scales and that wouldnt even move haha.

just want him to grow, the cage that my other rats in have like wide (ish) wires and because hes tiny he can squeeze through it i bet so im wanting him to grow so then he can go with the others. when i went to pick him up from the breeder i didnt realise he would be that tiny.

i get my hairless rat out ALOT through the day as hes alone and his cage (thin wired cage) is next to me when i sit in the chair in the living room so i talk to him , handle him alot, he loves licking my fingers we got a special bond. bless.

another thing im worried about is , what if my biggest rats hurt him or bully him when they finally meet as hes gonna be smaller than them. will they eat him? im so worried. my baby 'gremlin' is special i dont want him to get hurt.

casw

Post by casw » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:32 am

rat mix i have is like seeds, like crispy sweetcorn and green and orange biscuit things theres a few wierd looking stuff in it. its just a clear back that says on a sticker on the top 'rat mix'.

no good?

do i need to change?

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:10 am

I have never yet seen a hairless rat grow any bigger than that of a 'furred' 3 month old kitten. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but they've always seemed dead weedy to me!

Bazu

Post by Bazu » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:08 am

Easiest way to weigh a rat is with kitchen scales, and you can usually pick these up dead cheap in places like Argos or - if you're REALLY lucky - in pound stores. They're well worth having, because a rat's weight is a very good marker as to how healthy they are (if they suddenly lose or suddenly gain weight, it can be a first [and sometimes only] indicator of illness).

And honestly, I don't know if you "need" to change that mix or not, given how little we can tell about it :lol: I personally would on the grounds that if I make my own mix, I know exactly what my lot are eating, and know how to adjust their diet as needed, what needs supplementing etc, and it gives me a chance to introduce variety into their dry mix as well as the fresh stuff :)

I can't vouch for how big hairless rats grow, having never seen one face to face, but I'm sure I've seen pictures of them beside a 'normal' rat where they looked the same size - but that said, we know how much the camera can lie and how good rats are at distorting their body shape :lol:

If you're worried about him squeezing through the bars, you could maybe put mesh inside/outside the cage to keep him in - like chicken wire or something? You can buy it reasonably cheaply from places like B&Q and Wickes (can get it delivered if you order online, if needed), and it'd obviously be better for your boy socially if he can get in with the others sooner rather than later, though I'm sure you already knew that :)

(As a side note, a "mutant" rat? :o I realise that's technically accurate, but not very flattering! I'd also be a bit dubious of him as a breeder if he's left himself with a lone baby and just wants to shift it, regardless of his reputation :-?)
Orca, Minke, Myst, Nova, Exi and Fye

Never forget you Isis, my little whiskery angel...

casw

Post by casw » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:44 am

thank you very much for your reply. its been helpful. will pop down to B&Q today. yeah i dont like it when he said ''mutant'' they are rats all the same to me. will buy some kitchen scales as i want to find out hes ok.

Amanda Shay

Post by Amanda Shay » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:59 pm

Lillyland wrote:I have never yet seen a hairless rat grow any bigger than that of a 'furred' 3 month old kitten. I'm happy to be proven wrong, but they've always seemed dead weedy to me!
My hairless rats are much bigger than my furred ones. Here is my largest one Scabbers. He is a chunky boy...
Love My Rats
1. Scabbers: Black eyed white hairless 2. Krum: Mink bareback hairless
3. Delilah: Mink Bareback Dumbo 4. Ruby: Champagne Satin
Rest in Peace Cleopatra and Nefertiti (former female ratties)
*Note - extra lines as per the guidelines*

casw

Post by casw » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:21 pm

scabbers is beautiful.

Amanda Shay

Post by Amanda Shay » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:05 am

Thanks, he is my big squishy boy, the pic doesnt do him justice. I have never had health issues with him. Not even dry skin or bumps on the skin. His face in that pic is kinda dirty but his is solid pink(white).

His brother Krum was kind of skinny looking when i first got them, here is a pic of him when i first got them

This is Krum now:
Love My Rats

casw

Post by casw » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:33 am

awwwww x so cute

Amanda Shay

Post by Amanda Shay » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:32 am

You should post pics of your hairless too :)
Love My Rats

casw

Post by casw » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:38 pm

i have hun its somewhere in the 'your rats' section. some of my others too .