Doxy/Baytril combo?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
lamb

Doxy/Baytril combo?

Post by lamb » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:18 pm

Sorry if this sounds daft but when it says combo does that mean take them at the same time? Also I was told to give 1/3 of a tablet of Doxy and have read on hear 1/8 to be given. Do you still follow the rule of 0.1ml per 100g 0f body weight for Baytril split into 2 doses when part of a combo? I am propper :-?

debzratties

Re: Doxy/Baytril combo?

Post by debzratties » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:26 pm

Hi, i'm not sure about your dosage on the Doxy, maybe the tablets you have are a different strength as the highest dose i've been given has been 1/8 twice daily, that was for my 280g girl. She also has Baytril at a slightly higher dose twice a day, it's apparently best to give the Baytril first then Doxy 1-2 hrs later rather than at the same time. I also prefer to give ab's twice a day rather than all in one go but whether that makes any difference i'm not sure, different vets recommend different things so it doesn't take me much to get confused either so your not alone :rollred:

Debz :dumbogirly:
Proudly owned by the ratty gang :dumbogirly: Poppy, Brown nose, Sage and seven adorable rescues :love:
Gone but forever in our hearts our special girls :rainbow: Dill, Parsley, Basil, Midge, Whisper and Parsnip :rainbow:

malude

Post by malude » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:27 pm

They need to be given about an hour apart. When giving doxy I usually start with 1/8 tablet twice a day but have given 1/6 twice a day for very bad or chronic infections. When giving doxy I still go by the 0.1ml baytril per 100g rat as a starting point, but again will increase this dose if it's a very bad infection.
I hope that helps :luck:
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

lamb

Post by lamb » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:12 pm

The packet they have come in says Ronaxan Doxycycline 20mg. They are tiny. I am worried I gave him 1/3 last night :o

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:56 pm

The tablets I have are also 20mg so the dose your vet prescribed is fine, it sounds a lot because your dose is 1/3 once a day but if you were to give it twice a day it would only be 1/6 which is probably why you think the dose seems high, but it's not.

And if you think those tablets are tiny, you want to try dividing Frusemide which is about half the size of Doxy, into 20 doses :o

Proudly owned by the ratty gang :dumbogirly: Poppy, Brown nose, Sage and seven adorable rescues :love:
Gone but forever in our hearts our special girls :rainbow: Dill, Parsley, Basil, Midge, Whisper and Parsnip :rainbow:

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:05 pm

I give an 1/8th twice a day - so 1/4 a day. But discussion with my vet suggests this is the lower end of the suitable dose, so 1/6th twice a day (which is 1/3rd) doesn't sound excessive for a male rat with serious problems. It's done by weight, so as long as your vet weighed the rat, it's probably the right dose. I'm not sure whether it's best to give 1/3rd once or 1/6th twice
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

lamb

Post by lamb » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:47 pm

Thanks guys Its so nice to be able to ask other rat owners for advice :) debzratties you must have to use a microscope to split that tab up :o I hope this does the trick for him. :)

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Best way to split small tablets is to crush them into powder first then divide them into equal portions on a smooth surface with a sharp object (can't beat mirror and razor blade actually - although if you have house-mates explaining what you are doing first is a good idea :lol: ). I currently use the back of a knife on a marble slab.

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:47 pm

Neotoma wrote:Best way to split small tablets is to crush them into powder first then divide them into equal portions on a smooth surface with a sharp object (can't beat mirror and razor blade actually - although if you have house-mates explaining what you are doing first is a good idea :lol: ). I currently use the back of a knife on a marble slab.
:lol: :lol:
Definitely agree with this, I got some weird looks the other day when somebody from Dell was at our house fixing my laptop
and he saw me trying to crush up Daisys tablets, I ended up on my hands and knees on the kitchen floor searching for the piece i'd dropped,
I did explain but somehow I don't think he really believed me :oops:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:26 am

I crush between 2 spoons and then use a dvd with a cardboard cover and my bank card atm. I need a better flat surface though...
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

malude

Post by malude » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:53 am

debzratties wrote:
Neotoma wrote:Best way to split small tablets is to crush them into powder first then divide them into equal portions on a smooth surface with a sharp object (can't beat mirror and razor blade actually - although if you have house-mates explaining what you are doing first is a good idea :lol: ). I currently use the back of a knife on a marble slab.
:lol: :lol:
Definitely agree with this, I got some weird looks the other day when somebody from Dell was at our house fixing my laptop
and he saw me trying to crush up Daisys tablets, I ended up on my hands and knees on the kitchen floor searching for the piece i'd dropped,
I did explain but somehow I don't think he really believed me :oops:

Sian 'Betterstar' introduced me to Ornicure - it's a sachet of powdered doxy and has revolutionised my life! No more crushing tablets and dividing them and having little foil wraps lying around. It's marketed for birds so you'd have to ask your vet for it specifically and it's expensive (£10.50 a sachet at my old vets in Plymouth) but lasts aaaaaaages. I'd only recommend it though for people who are used to dividing up the tablets etc as you have to try to dish out a pinch that looks roughly equivalent to 1/8 - 1/6 of a crushed tablet. So if people are new to doxy I'd stick with the tablets to start and then when confident ask about Ornicure :luck:
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:08 am

Also vets who do dish out ornicure often advise it gets put in the water bottle - this is a bad idea, as you can't control the dose. So using it is fine, but as malude says, it needs to be treated as a powder version of the tablet.

lamb

Post by lamb » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:18 pm

I have seen no improvement at all. Does that mean the was no infection? He has been on this for 10 days. Previously 2 weeks of Baytril. He is happy in himself, eating and a good weight 850g. Shall I take him back to the vets? What can they do? The vet said his chest was not that bad before treatment. The noise is just damage to his lungs. Will this shorten his life? Make him more prone to other things? Any advice would be great. :) He is such a lovely boy. We have spent the day baking and watching movies. Anyone for a choc fluff cookie? :lol:

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:40 pm

Could well be scarring then. I'd treat for the full course, then stopand see what happens - if he gets worse then it's an infection, and either needs different ABs, or is just one of these things that needs stabilising with ABs. If his chest doesn't deteriorate, then it's probably scarring. Rats with scarred lungs seem to be a bit more susceptible to future infections, so it'salways worth keeping an eye on them, and they do often seem to suffer from increased fibrosis of the lungs and lose of capacity towards the end of their lives. But most of mine have made it past 30 months happily enough.

If it's fresh scarring -i.e.inflammation may still be present, an anti-inflammatory might be worthwhile.