Help for rat with PT, diabetes & urine infection.

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
fuschia

Help for rat with PT, diabetes & urine infection.

Post by fuschia » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi, I'm hoping someone might have some helpful advice for me to pass on to my vet.

My boy Rueben was diagnosed with a PT recently and is on baytril and Prednisolone so far. Today I took a urine sample to the vet and she says he's now got diabetes and a urine infection too :( . She suggested stopping or cutting down the steroids, but I don't know what to do. We are both looking into it this evening and she's going to ring tomorrow.

I thought I remembered seeing a thread about a similar rat with PT and diabetes, but I can't find it now.

Should we stop the steroids in case that's causing the diabetes? Or will that be really bad for his PT? Should I try and control it with diet, or give him insulin? Arghh I don't know what to do :cry:
:girly: Polly,Greta,Libby & Delylah :love: Billy,Eugene,Stan,Darwin,Dougal & Towser
:rainbow: All those gone before, forever remembered :hearts:

fuschia

Re: Help for rat with PT, diabetes & urine infection.

Post by fuschia » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:18 am

Bump?
:girly: Polly,Greta,Libby & Delylah :love: Billy,Eugene,Stan,Darwin,Dougal & Towser

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:01 am

Well it could be the steroids or the PT causing the diabetes, or I suppose he could've been going to develop it anyway? First I'm going to try out the diabetic diet for a week or two before deciding if we need to go for the insulin. And keep up with the steroids, but try and get him some galastop too. The diabetic article on here was useful, but trying to find info on rats with PT and diabetes together is nearly impossible, looks like not many people have experienced it.

ratwoman1958

Post by ratwoman1958 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:07 pm

steroids can deffo cause urine infections and sugar diabetes, I would stop the predisolone
Rats are like chips, you just can't have one!

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:51 pm

That's what the vet wanted to do first off, but I'd hate it if he then went down hill with his PT really quickly. It's kind of impossible to decide which is worse - diabetes or a pituitary tumour? :(

snaisby

Post by snaisby » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:00 pm

To be honest, and not wanting to sound pessimistic, i would be going for symptom relief at this stage rather than worrying too much about long term side effects of meds. If the symptoms of diabetes aren't bothering him, I would stick with the steroids, because that's what will give him good quality of life with the PT. You could try reducing the dose and see if he is still coping ok, but I personally wouldn't stop the pred completely. The urine infection can be treated with ABs alongside it.

Is he on Galastop? I've heard good things about it in relation to PTs.

Really hope you can keep him bright and happy as long as possible :love: :luck:
Sarah :)
Mum to Russian Bloo Titus :smileyrat: Black Self Pike :smileyrat: Ginger Splodgy Pan :smileyrat: & Io the Ivory :smileyrat:
RIP my beautiful boys Dylan, Domino and Dexter
and my past girls: Noodle, Pax and Pinky

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:20 pm

Thanks Snaisby, apart from drinking loads, and losing weight (which is probably a combination of the 2), and being a bit wonky, he is seeming ok in himself on the meds he is on. Still getting on with his usual ratty life of sleeping and playing and enjoying his food and snuggles.

We've reduced the steroid to one tablet a day rather than one and a half, but I wouldn't feel happy stopping it altogether. I have been reading about the Galastop and will be asking the vet on our next visit. He has been on baytril since his PT symptoms began, so if his urine infection doesn't clear another antibiotic may need to be added.

ratwoman1958

Post by ratwoman1958 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:48 pm

a urine infection can be very painful
Rats are like chips, you just can't have one!

annc

Post by annc » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:43 pm

It certainly wouldn't be a good idea to stop the steroids suddenly - as is also the case with humans (longing to get off mine!) Batgirl is on them for respiratory problems and I'm slowly reducing them. However, if your rat isn't bothered by his diabetes, symptomatic relief for him would probably be best.

As he is on steroids he shouldn't have Metacam (or Calprofen) for pain relief because of the risk of bleeding, but can have infant Calpol (paracetamol) - about 0.1-0.15ml twice daily.
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

fuschia

Post by fuschia » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:29 pm

Had to take Rueben to the emergency vet for some insulin tonight :( . His blood sugar was through the roof, and he was all floppy. I'm hoping he does a pee soon so I can check his glucose levels before getting some sleep. My poor Rueben, I hope he perks up again by tomorrow I don't want to say goodbye to him so soon.