Lethargic with Swollen nose and Increased porph/blood?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
debzratties

Lethargic with Swollen nose and Increased porph/blood?

Post by debzratties » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:55 pm

I've just gone to the cage to find Poppy with what looks like blood on her nose it looks more like proper blood than the usual porph, she's not her usual self at all and seems quite lethargic especially when eating/drinking.

She's quite fluffed up which is making her look a lot bigger, her head included, but her nose in particular looks like it's swollen with one side more so than the other.

Everything else apart from this looks fine, no lumps or bumps anywhere, chest sounds clear, no sneezing, bladder and bowel working okay.
She's one of our original girls who we adopted along with her sister last February and is around 18-19 mths old and until today she's been in perfect health.

The vet's at the other practice doing op's atm so we won't be able to see her until later today so wondered if anyone has any idea what can be causing these symptoms or if there's anything we can do to help her before going to the vets, i've got her seperate from the others, with her sister for company and she's had some yoghurt and a little drink of ribena but she's not taking very much, all I know is she's not right and going by how she is atm don't think we'll be bringing her back home :cry:

Debz :dumbogirly:
Proudly owned by the ratty gang :dumbogirly: Poppy, Brown nose, Sage and seven adorable rescues :love:
Gone but forever in our hearts our special girls :rainbow: Dill, Parsley, Basil, Midge, Whisper and Parsnip :rainbow:

malude

Re: Lethargic with Swollen nose and Increased porph/blood?

Post by malude » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:27 pm

Sorry to hear Poppy isn't well. It sounds like something very similar to what my lad Rookie had a few weeks ago and unfortunately he didn't make it :( Sorry to be blunt...never a subtle way of saying these things.
Have a read of the thread from his illness here
The post mortem essentially said a septicaemia was the cause, I can only assume the swollen nose was due to a sinus infection which spread to his blood and attacked his organs.
I'd get your girl to the vet today as an emergency and start her on a high dose of antibiotics and make sure she gets fluids and keeps warm.
I hope she pulls through :love:
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:51 pm

malude wrote:Sorry to hear Poppy isn't well. It sounds like something very similar to what my lad Rookie had a few weeks ago and unfortunately he didn't make it :( Sorry to be blunt...never a subtle way of saying these things.
Have a read of the thread from his illness here
The post mortem essentially said a septicaemia was the cause, I can only assume the swollen nose was due to a sinus infection which spread to his blood and attacked his organs.
I'd get your girl to the vet today as an emergency and start her on a high dose of antibiotics and make sure she gets fluids and keeps warm.
I hope she pulls through :love:
Thankyou for your well wishes and the link, i'm so sorry your boy had to go through all that :hearts:
I can't believe i'm having to say this again so soon after losing Parsnip and Whispy, but she's gone :cry: It's been such a harrowing few hours and need to go break the news to my son, sorry can't put anymore atm

Proudly owned by the ratty gang :dumbogirly: Poppy, Brown nose, Sage and seven adorable rescues :love:
Gone but forever in our hearts our special girls :rainbow: Dill, Parsley, Basil, Midge, Whisper and Parsnip :rainbow:

malude

Post by malude » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:55 pm

I'm so sorry :love:

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:59 pm

oh no, I'm so sorry (((HUGE HUGS)))
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:41 am

Thankyou both, it means ever so much :hearts:
Most people I know can't comprehend why i'd go to such great lengths for "just a rat" so it's lovely that there's so many nice people on here who understand and feel the same way.

I'd already rang round quite a few vets before posting yesterday as Judith who i'd normally go to doesn't open until 4pm, the other vets I travel to was no use either because the good vet there was off yesterday so I ended up going to a vets just round the corner from where we live, she's the only one local that's willing to offer more than just Baytril.

By this time I knew Poppy had little chance of pulling through, the vet examined her and diagnosed an acute onset pneumonia and heart failure, she said that because Poppy had deteriorated so suddenly that she must have been hit with a very aggressive strain, she said that she wouldn't even attempt ab treatment as it would only prolong her suffering, her litle paws were covered in blood where she'd been rubbing her nose, she'd stopped eating and drinking and was really struggling to breath, she'd never had so much as a sniffle since being here so to see her like that was absolutely heartbreaking.
I knew i'd have to let her go so agreed to have her pts.
I just hope the vets dagnosis was correct as I feel so guilty that I couldn't do anything to make her better :(

malude

Post by malude » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:56 am

debzratties wrote: I just hope the vets dagnosis was correct as I feel so guilty that I couldn't do anything to make her better :(

From the sounds of what you say and having lost Rookie to a similar thing and having recently lost Iris to pneumonia I'm sure your vet has diagnosed correctly and you've made the right decision. So sorry you lost her, it is so hard :love:

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:57 pm

Thankyou x
oh's outside digging a hole, ready to bury her in the garden alongside the rest of her friends.

We originally adopted Poppy and her sister because she was a biter and my oh was worried that whoever got them might hurt her if she bit them. We would often end up with really nasty bite wounds then a few weeks later after she'd given my oh yet another nasty bite I heard him saying to her "don't worry you'll get used to us soon" and a few days later it's as if we had a different Poppy as she became really friendly, even on the odd occasion that she'd give us a nip she knew straight away and would look ever so sorry and come straight over for a cuddle, it was like her biting had become an involuntary habit, it seems like so so long ago that she was like that as I can't remember the last time she did it but hope it mean't she did eventually get used to us and really hope we made her happy :dumbohalo: :hearts:

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:36 pm

debzratties wrote: few weeks later after she'd given my oh yet another nasty bite I heard him saying to her "don't worry you'll get used to us soon"
that made me :cry: how lovely!

I had a bitey rescue girl and I still got the odd nip right into her older age. It was like "Do you remember when I used to <chomp>?" Ahm yes, Brenna, cos you just did it again!

I remember specifically the turning point. She was living on her own after some unsuccessful intros. She was bitey. She was depressed. I used to cook her scrambled egg (her favourite) and say "this is just for you Brenna, no-one else has any". She was laying in a tube hammock with her face poking out one day and I was talking to her. I said "I'm not going to give up on you Brenna." She gave me the strangest look so I said it again. She got out and came to the front of the cage and I said it again - I'm NOT giving up on you. From that point I swear we turned a corner and I was so proud of my girl.

So I am absolutely sure that Poppy was a very happy girl, cos she sounds like my Bren and I could see the difference in her so much
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:41 pm

Thankyou Nicky x
Poppy may have left us to soon, but she's left so many happy memories :love:

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:35 pm

Another couple of our girls have started sneezing quite a lot, one with a lot of porph on one eye :( would It help if I put all 9 onto ab's just incase whatever took Poppy is contagious
especially with her deteriorating so rapidly and which ab would be best, I have some Baytril and Ceporex at home.
Also is there anything symptom wise I should be watching out for?

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:10 pm

I've just checked my meds and I also have Doxy but I don't think i'll have enough Baytril to do all nine girls tonight, I know I shouldn't be taking them to the vets incase they spread a potential virus but how will I know what they have if I don't go? Will it be best just to get someone to collect some meds from the vets and treat them all at home? sorry for all the questions, I've just got a horrible feeling they've caught whatever it is that Poppy had, she was strong and in excellent health whereas the rescues are a lot weaker :(

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:47 pm

I've rang the emergency vets for advice and they said to bring the affected girls in but I thought you wern't supposed to with a suspected virus, does anybody know what I should be doing? Also would a blood test help, I don't want to be hanging about if it's okay to take them as we lost Poppy within a matter of just a few hours and Daisy's already very weak due to severe heart/resp problems :(