advice on PTS time for 22 month old female girlies (tumours)

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
frisby

advice on PTS time for 22 month old female girlies (tumours)

Post by frisby » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:37 pm

Hello folks,
I have two female ratties, both 22 months old, George and Ringo.
George has had two mamory tumours removed, and now has two more appearing, one marble size and the other a bit bigger.
Ringo has had no previous tumours but now has a darkish colour tumour that is about the size of a golf ball. The vet said this wasn't the usual mamory type, but I can't remember what type she said it was.
I have decided due to their age and the fact they get very stressed when taken away from home (and the fact that the vet said George's breathing was very laboured last time) not to have any more tumours removed.
What I need advice about is when is the right time to PTS. I am trying to strike a balance between not doing it too soon when they still have some qualilty life, but not leaving too late that they are in discomfort or pain.
At the moment they don't have any breathing difficulties, they are eating as normal, grooming and moving around OK. They may be sleeping a wee bit more but that is difficult to judge when I am out at work and do different shifts.
The other thing I am trying to take into consideration is them going at the same time because they are so attached. :(
Any advice welcome.
Thank you
x
Proudly owned by George and Ringo :)

Alijane

Re: advice on PTS time for 22 month old female girlies (tumours)

Post by Alijane » Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:59 pm

I am in the same position with a number of my old ladies. Lola, who is probably my oldest, has two fairly large mammary tumours and HLD, but she is still eating well and getting around the cage. She seems to be enjoying her life - although she does spend a lot of time snoozing in the hammock. I am hoping she will just go because she is old, rather than because her tumours/HLD get the better of her. Dorothy and Momo have the largest tumours and I fear that they will cause them discomfort before either girl goes of natural causes. I just keep a careful eye on the girls, so that, if the tumours begin to look uncomfortable, I can take them to be pts. I think it is a judgement call about the moment when their various problems become greater than the pleasure they get out of life. Dear old Lola is sitting in her hammock, with the two babies beside her, eating a very large piece of shortbread and looking very cheerful. Dorothy has a bit of cake, which she is eating with a smile on her ratty face. Momo is working her way through a brazil nut shell, which is one of her favourite activities - chewing the shell is what she likes ... she can take or leave the nut! :hearts:

annc

Post by annc » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:25 am

A possibility for George, with mammary tumours, is Galastop medication - this helps with quite a few.

If they are apparently enjoying life, I don't think it's 'time' yet.
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

frisby

Post by frisby » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks for the advice folks. Am going to vets tomorrow to see what she advises
x
Proudly owned by George and Ringo :)

GeekyGoth

Post by GeekyGoth » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:06 pm

Just to add, I have a girl well over 2 with inoperable tumors and in the month or so since starting galastop they have not grown a considerable amount if any.
Whiskers In The Ear small animal rescue often has animals seeking forever homes.http://www.whiskersintheear.bravehost.com

Owned By The Fuzzy Hoards
Sweet dreams to all those at the bridge, Mummy loves you all