Big hole in rats back....

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
casw

Big hole in rats back....

Post by casw » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:10 pm

I just went to see my rats and i knew they had a fight yesterday but no damage as i checked them all , i went to be at 6am this morning and clearly they have had another fight since i went to bed and Spike has a big hole in his back. No blood but its a deep hole and i mean deep it looks awful.. Unable to get to a vets till tuesday no bus no money and the only people who i know who drive are my parents but they wouldnt take me anyway as they're selfish people and also live in the next town. Is they anything i can do till tuesday? any creams or bandages needed?

RattyRenton

Re: Big hole in rats back....

Post by RattyRenton » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:20 pm

Can you put a picture of the wound up please
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

casw

Post by casw » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:24 pm

yeah will attempt to do it now. brb.

KatieJ

Post by KatieJ » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:40 pm

You'd be suprised how well and quickly rat wounds heal. If it's a normal bite wound (before neuters I was seeing wounds that looked a bit gaping and were 1cm - 1.5cm long) then you'll find it's probably knitted together by later this evening with a straight line scab. What I always do before it seals up though it bathe the wound with hibiscrub in boiled and cooled water. If you have no hibiscrub you could use salted boiled and cooled water. Then just keep an eye for any sign of infection in the coming days and get some AB's if you notice any.
::Katie::
~Wisdom~Bounty~Sparrow~Sunshine~Arfur~Wilson~Deeks~Oakie~

casw

Post by casw » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:43 pm

thanks for ur reply.

i tried to get a picture but he wouldnt sit still. boyfriend helped me but my phone camera is *please do not swear* and it went like fuzzy and it was hard to lift his fur. it is very deep ya can see the muscle its like loads of layers of skin has been ripped. its about half inch long and a cm wide. its a open wound and the bloods not coming out.

KatieJ

Post by KatieJ » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:55 pm

Definitely give it a quick wash out and then I'd probably just leave it for now and check it again in the morning. If it is no better then go to the vets, but I really think it will be. They look horrific but tend to heal quite quickly :luck:

casw

Post by casw » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:59 pm

ok will do. thanks hun x

casw

Post by casw » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:39 pm

heres some pics of spikes wound. gonna put a new thread about this in the health bit.

http://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m49 ... s%20wound/

any replies , please send to my new thread on health.

casw

Rat got hole in back /pics added

Post by casw » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:40 pm

http://s1128.photobucket.com/albums/m49 ... s%20wound/

here is pics of his wound.

Admin Aide Note: Duplicate topics merged.
Last edited by purple_vixen on Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: to explain merge

RattyRenton

Post by RattyRenton » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:46 pm

Better to keep everything in one thread.

I've seen wounds like that a couple of times, it'll knit itself together tonight and you'll be amazed at how quick it heals. Just keep it clean.
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

casw

Post by casw » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:49 pm

thanks

GeekyGoth

Post by GeekyGoth » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:09 pm

That should heal no problems, just keep an eye on it, wipe it over with hibiscrub diluted, if you dont have that salt water solution, as long as no sign of infection he should be just fine. rats are AMAZING healers.
Whiskers In The Ear small animal rescue often has animals seeking forever homes.http://www.whiskersintheear.bravehost.com

Owned By The Fuzzy Hoards
Sweet dreams to all those at the bridge, Mummy loves you all

Wasanifu

Post by Wasanifu » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:00 pm

It's always said how quickly rats heal and up until last week I never had any idea (not having rats before!) of how quickly they do heal. My Rommie had an abcess that burst and left a great big hole on her neck under her chin. The vet said she thought it was a pretty bad one and they do see a fair few small animals. That was a week ago last Friday and it's now just a very small scratch like mark. The spot where they shaved the fur to stop it getting in the wound will take far longer to grow back than the wound did to heal!

I didn't have any Hibiscrub (ordering some next payday just in case!) so I just used salt soloution. I had a spare needle less syringe to squirt in the hole but it didn't work very well as she didn't like it, though who can blame her! I also used some kitchen towel soaked in the salt water and held that to the wound because she was so squirmy!

I'm sure your baby boy will be better in no time :)
Tiff & Rommie (Rats) Ludlow and Atticus (Syrian Hamsters)
RIP: Guthrie (August 2009-June 2010) Simba (September 2008- December 2010)- Syrian Hamsters

casw

Post by casw » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:39 pm

awww poor girl. that sounds awful a hole under her chin must of hurt and been uncomfortable. hope he heals by himself. i dont feel as worried now. thanks for ur reply it made me feel abit better.

KatieJ

Post by KatieJ » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:14 pm

How is the wound looking this afternoon?