Big hole in rats back....

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Neotoma

Re: Big hole in rats back....

Post by Neotoma » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:18 pm

We had one like that a couple of weeks ago - the vet's opinion was as the boy was old and not the healthiest, and the wound had started to dry, the best thing to do would be to leave it. The second vets opinion a couple of days later (when he went in for something else) was that it had been a high risk call, but the right one in the circumstances. The wound has now healed very well, but I got the impression that had it been one of the young healthy ones they'd have prefered to stitch it as it was right across the spine, so got a lot of movement.

The main question is whether it's in a location where it will constantly flex, as that can impede healing. However, if you can't get to the vet before tuesday, then it's a bit of a moot question anyway, as stitching needs to be done promptly if it's going to be done at all. The likelihood is it will dry up nicely into a scab, and you'll just have a scar when that falls off.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

casw

Post by casw » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:40 pm

i left it and its scabbed over. ewww. better than it looked poor baby.

KellyTheCrazyRatLady

Post by KellyTheCrazyRatLady » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:20 pm

ive had this twice with cookie (RIP) his cage mates got himwith their claws and cut his skin. it didnt seem to bother him in the clightest. the 1st one i let heal, i washed it out and then left it, it healed within 3 days. and the second was tapled as it was on his side and he was a squishy boy, that healed quickly aswell.
Owned by Aeris Akkarin Araxis Braxton Briec Brisingr Codeh Deloi Eihbear Eldunari Gwenvael Kirin Kyddin Laisren Leighton Lorlen Martris Micah Osen Phury Qysan Reuben Rhage Riley Rixon Rydan Serin Toffee Torin Tyailan and Wraythe