Fluffed up - just old age?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
malude

Fluffed up - just old age?

Post by malude » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:37 pm

Just wondering whether it is normal for an OAP rat to be a bit fluffed up without any underlying illness? Could it just be old age?
George has a definite fluffiness to him most of the time these days but seems otherwise well apart from general old age. He's around 28 months old and has had respy issues in the past. His breathing is perhaps a little bit side-sucky but not actually laboured at all and absolutely silent at the moment even though he's one who sometimes does have a bit of a chortle either due to scarring or the odd flare up. He has lost a bit of weight slowly over the past 2-3 months but nothing severe and he's on daily treats as well as daily bisolvon with nutrical and senioraid. I can't feel any lumps or bumps anywhere. He is a little quiet but he's never exactly been a boisterous lad. He is eating and drinking well and not drinking any more than normal. I have given him metacam a few times in case it's pain related but it makes no difference and he certainly doesn't appear to be in pain - moving all limbs normally, he has no HLD and is as mobile as I'd expect a an elderly gent to be.
So could his fluffing up just be a sign of old age? Cos I can't find anything wrong with him!
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

acapae_wolf

Re: Fluffed up - just old age?

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:43 pm

I find older rats can get a bit fluffier, but in a changing texture sort of way rather than looking poofy.

Not sure if these help much as they're from my old camera at silly angles, but aged fluffy girl:

And aged fluffy boy:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Sarah_B

Post by Sarah_B » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:57 am

One of my rescue rats is getting on a bit and the texture of his fur has changed. It's not soft and smooth any more, but more fluffy. He is fine though!
♥ Cabbage, Sprout, Bean, Bandit, Croque Monster, Peanut, Jam and two unnamed Rattray babies ♥ R.I.P. Flapjack, Sallad, Gherkin, Jim, Doogh and Heathcliff

Rat hammocks, cubes and tubes for sale!

beckie2040

Post by beckie2040 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:18 pm

Yes, I think it's most likely to just be a sign of old age.

I found that my boy Patch's coat improved a bit after I started giving him Ipakitine, but he's certainly not silky smooth like he used to be!

hlcasey

Post by hlcasey » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:34 pm

My older girls (Topsy, Miya and Rhea) all were distinctly fluffed up in the old age :)
I <3 my ratties

malude

Post by malude » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Phew, I shall stop worrying too much then!
:love:George, Reuben, Zephyr Brompton Cocktail, Seth & Tate :hearts:
:halo: Daisy Matilda Myrtle Mildred Maud Lucy Mabel Polly Jemima
Ash Murray Martha Eliza Charlie Kit ZephyrRookieOfTheYear Pascoe Iris
:halo:

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:20 pm

It's probably age. However, if he is side-sucky, I'd have his chest checked even if you can't hear anything - deep chest problems aren't always audible.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat: