2 of mine are being spayed today

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
acapae_wolf

2 of mine are being spayed today

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:18 am

Because I'm sick to death of emergency spays being needed. 3 unrelated breeder rats with vaginal bleeding (none of them old) in 10 months is a little over the top I feel.

I dropped Arky and Norey off this morning and I can phone (if they haven't done so already) at 2pm.
Getting ever so twitchy right now. I was writing something earlier, and then I moved onto playing bejeweled as a distraction. WHY IS FR DEAD AT THIS CRUCIAL TIME?!

They should be fine, realistically speaking anyway. They're both young and in good health (if a leetle podgy atm), but argh. Hate waiting!
*frets*
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

fuschia

Re: 2 of mine are being spayed today

Post by fuschia » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:34 am

What a worry ((hugs)) :( .

It's so horrible waiting to hear if everything's alright, and the time just seems to drag by so slowly.

Like you say, they should be fine, these things usually are - but nothing's going to stop you fretting till you know for sure!
:luck: x 2
:girly: Polly,Greta,Libby & Delylah :love: Billy,Eugene,Stan,Darwin,Dougal & Towser
:rainbow: All those gone before, forever remembered :hearts:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:10 am

Thanks for the reassurance, definately appreciated :)
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:48 am

As all of my girls have been (previously) pet shop and now rescues with unknown background I've always had them spayed. Rarely had any problems. Imogen burst her glued incision open but didn't seem bothered! I've had a couple that have reacted to their sutures, but generally everything's been good. Doesn't mean I haven't worried each time though!
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Imogen sounds like great fun :lol: I'm more worried about the actual op if that makes sense than afterwards. My vet is lovely and is ok with doping them up on vetergesic and I've never had a rat that's done anything other than leave the wound alone. Well, so far lol.

One of mine has been done, the other is at the minute (not sure which way round). I'm phoning back in about an hour. Shall fret a little less...

eta - Nicky, can I ask your opinion here please :)
*~~Beri~~*

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:51 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:
eta - Nicky, can I ask your opinion here please :)
done!
Cats Steffi Mac
<3 Shadow Noodles Ripley Halle Tia Kembali Tempest River Riley Finn Huxley Lucian
@Bridge cats BorisBillieMo :rainbow: PerdyMittsMrPobZemmiMannyAimeeFlossLucyLiuFargoRiddickMegan MelodyMonkeyImogenBrennaDannyNewtTurkMurphy Miss U :cry:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Going to get them at 5.40 :D Yayyyy!
*~~Beri~~*

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:52 pm

acapae_wolf wrote:Going to get them at 5.40 :D Yayyyy!

Glad to hear this!! Hoping for a quick and easy time healing :luck:
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

debzratties

Post by debzratties » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:20 pm

Good luck with your girles :luck: Not long to go now, I'm sure they'll be just fine :love:
Says she who's pacing up and down, impatiently waiting for the vet to ring :roll:

Debz :dumbogirly:
Proudly owned by the ratty gang :dumbogirly: Poppy, Brown nose, Sage and seven adorable rescues :love:
Gone but forever in our hearts our special girls :rainbow: Dill, Parsley, Basil, Midge, Whisper and Parsnip :rainbow:

Betterstar

Post by Betterstar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:51 pm

:D *healing scritches*
Sian & Boojum, Minnow, Poot, Esme, Oak, Burdock, Ptarmigan, Blunder and Jacques.
Missing Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:57 pm

I'm not worried about healing at all :oops: Thankfully they're both rats I've used in the past as company for ill rats, rather than being a pair that I wouldn't really be happy leaving together in the hospital cage or anything lol.

I'm slightly :-? about having been given a time for collection though. Usually it's just "some time after 4 (or 5 if finished later)" and I give a rough time and potter along. But I've been given an appt time which means I'll be seeing Anders... Hoping it's just because when I dropped them off, he hadn't come in yet, and he just wants to do a little talking check over thingy. It was a nurse I talked to on the phone rather than the receptionist (who now knows me rather too well lol), so maybe they're told to do things differently.

Have your heard about yours yet Debz? I'm just looking for my sandals to go get them :D
*~~Beri~~*

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:25 pm

Got them! He just wanted to talk to me generally about them and stuff. I gotta discount too haha. Or rather I wasn't charged for vetergesic seperately as in the past. Excellent :lol:
*~~Beri~~*

NickyE

Post by NickyE » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:41 pm

yay! *gentle kisses* to them
Cats Steffi Mac

BasilTheRat

Post by BasilTheRat » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:42 pm

Glad they are fine, it looks like you have come to the same conclusion I reached about a year ago! Preemptive spaying makes sense when you have had a lot of case histories of pyometras, lumps and other hormonal related doe problems. I'm glad they have come through the surgery okay!

:D
Andy and the ratties: Seven, Kes, Luna, Ada, Orion, Bandit
:rainbow: Janeway, Shandy, Deanna, Izzy, Kira
And the youngest of the family is moving with authority,
Building castles by the sea, he dares the tardy tide to wash them all aside...

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:51 pm

I'm properly copying you, because my next rats will be bucks, and they're going to be castrated when they're old enough too :lol:

They says thanks for the kisses Nicky (and Sian's scritches). They're really really woozy and wobbly haha. But that's fine, cos it proves that they weren't given metacam :)
*~~Beri~~*