Help for hayfever treatment

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
jugs116

Help for hayfever treatment

Post by jugs116 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:16 pm

I am convinced that my boy dash has hay-fever as he only gets snotty when my daughters who suffer from hay-fever start sniffling. I have notice that some people have tried piriton on their rats with success. Is it piriton tablets (up to six a day for humans) or piriteze (one tablet a day for humans) as I wont want to overdose the wee man? Many thanks for any advice :D
jugs116
boys: bong, spots and dash girls: limpet and stitch
RIP all boys and girls gone to rainbow bridge

emma10

Re: Help for hayfever treatment

Post by emma10 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:42 pm

Bumping this as I'd like to know too!
Mummy to Billy, Maxi and Bilo <3

Goodbye Dento, hope you find a forever home my squidgey<3

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:03 pm

I'd really recommend asking your vet to work out the appropriate dosage for their weight for small animals, and also to recommend the most appropriate antihistamine (and confirm there is no chest involvement in the snottiness). Antihistamines are quite heavy duty drugs, there are quite a lot of different ones out there, and it isn't always possible to turn a human dose into a rat dose just by scaling via weight because different species systems process drugs differently.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

fatsoratso

Post by fatsoratso » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:51 pm

I have used Piriton with great success. And our vet doesn't seem to think it's heavy duty at all :-? He said there weren't any side effects and it's something that can be used long-term. We get the little yellow tablets from our vet and we tend to give 1/8th of a tablet two or three times a day. It's quite hard to do as the tablets are so small anyway but you just try to break it in half, then quarters, and so on and the crush 1/8th into powder and feed it on something yummy. This dose was worked out for our rats who are both between 430 and 530g.

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:01 am

I meant heavy duty in the way that any drug that has an active affect on the bodies response can be considered heavy duty. There are various things that can be used long-term and don't necessarily have side-effects - doxy and metacam being two, both of which we use happily long-term and in a wide range of rats - but you'd still consider doxy a fairly heavy duty AB, metacam can still have a serious effect on kidneys etc. They aren't things that shouldn't be used, or can't be used long term where appropriate, but they are things that have quite substantial physiological action, can have side-effects, and may have potential to conflict with certain medical conditions or medication - and they are therefore things that it would be normal to get vetinary adivce for before using in a new animal.

That was my main point really - not don't use it, but ask the vet for the drugs and the dosage for the specific rats concerned (as it sounds like you did), rather than trying to improvise with over the counter tablets or syrup.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

fatsoratso

Post by fatsoratso » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:23 pm

Yes and of course I agree a vet's opinion should be sought.

I would personally be much more cautious about giving something like metacam long-term because of the kidney effects but from what our vet said about piriton there weren't any negative effects on the body long-term or short-term and it can even be given with bronchodilators and doesn't seem to interfere with other meds. In that sense it's fairly low risk.

jugs116

Post by jugs116 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:56 pm

Thanks for all the advice I will phone my vet tomorrow for his advice before I give the wee man anything. He is fine at the moment due to the wet weather as is my daughters which makes me suspect hay fever.
jugs116
boys: bong, spots and dash girls: limpet and stitch
RIP all boys and girls gone to rainbow bridge