Abscess needs to be lanced but can't go under

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
lamb

Abscess needs to be lanced but can't go under

Post by lamb » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:31 am

My Hermie developed a huge(the size of a walnut) abscess last night and it appears to be deep if you know what I mean. The skin feels very tight and I am worried it will pop inside him. The vet would like to lance it. He nearly died when getting castrated and my old vet said he would never operate on him again. He said he had never seen a rat react so badly before. He is booked in at 2.50pm today. Has anybody else ever been in this situation?

MarieM

Re: Abscess needs to be lanced but can't go under

Post by MarieM » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:05 am

So, is he booked in to get it lanced or just to see the vet?
:girly: BonnieSusieRosieMindyCleo
:rainbow: SilvaCocoSumaPoppyDaisyTara :hearts: :girly:
http://www.thenaturalrat.co.uk
Holistic Health Care For Rats

ratwoman1958

Post by ratwoman1958 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:10 am

the vet should be able to lance and clean it out without having a GA, you will then have to continue this daily when you get home, ask your vet for a syringe and some hibiscrub (use 1 to 10 diluted) to do this, also some anti-biotic
Rats are like chips, you just can't have one!

lamb

Post by lamb » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:15 am

I didn't know they could do that. I have a good supply of Hibiscrub and syringes. MarieM he is just booked in for a look at it, but you get 20mins (not like my old vets you only got 5mins) so maybe they could lance it then. Only problem is I won't get to pop it myself :(

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:18 am

When they lance it, make sure they do 2 cuts so you get an X rather than just one. With the latter it will close and try and heal up again much quicker. While the cross means it'll stay open for pus removal for much longer, and also makes all areas of the abscess more easily accessible during cleaning.

ABs are always good, I'd try and get one that's safe to be applied topically as well, rather than say baytril where you can't. Abscesses have really bad blood supplies which means although oral ABs do help, it's often beneficial to be able to apply directly as well :)
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

ratwoman1958

Post by ratwoman1958 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:23 am

ditto all that
Rats are like chips, you just can't have one!

littlebabyribbon

Post by littlebabyribbon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:29 am

I use warm compress on abcesses to get them to the surface and then clean as described above. My recent abcess on a hairless doe took a good few days to come to the surface but it did and shes all healed up now.

lamb

Post by lamb » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:30 am

Thank you so much. I am so glad you mentioned the cross bit. All the abscesses I have had lanced in the past have healed too quickly. I will ask for a topical AB. That makes sense. So glad I came on here before I went :D :D :D

aimlessdesire

Post by aimlessdesire » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:48 am

I've used the powder synulox that you mix with water and put it directly into the abscess before. The only problem is that it's more expensive than the tablet version, but i'd say synulox is better for abscesses than baytril is.
Caledonian Rattery breeding for Russian Blue Point Siamese, Black Eyed Siamese, Black and Russian Blue.

annc

Post by annc » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:52 pm

One brilliant topical AB is Antirobe (lincomycin). It is so vile that it's dreadful to give by mouth!
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

lamb

Post by lamb » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:24 pm

Back from vets. You should have seen the face on the vet when puss started squirting out. I thought he was gona faint :lol: I said I would finish it myself at home to save his stomach. Got a nice big hole so it can drain properly. I finished it off and flushed it loads and filled with Manuka honey. Hermie hates me more than ever but as long as he is well I don't mind...much. Off to clean the bathroom now the is green puss up the walls (seriously) :sickrat: Thanks for all the top advice as usual :D

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:28 pm

:lol: poor walls! And vet!

Sending healing thoughts your way :luck:
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

Lillyland

Post by Lillyland » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:47 am

That has actually made me feel violently sick :sickrat:
I pray to god i never get a big abscess on my rats. :sickrat: :sickrat:

KellyTheCrazyRatLady

Post by KellyTheCrazyRatLady » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:38 pm

my vet lances without an aneasthetic. if the lump is somewhere where it will really hurt the rat to cut, like martris had a lump on his stomcah the vet gives a local aneasthetic in the area and then does it. for a few days you will have to keep opening the wound to get all of the gunk out. then when all of it has gone let the wound close, keep clean with savlon wound spray or salt water etc. also give baytril to help fight infection
Owned by Aeris Akkarin Araxis Braxton Briec Brisingr Codeh Deloi Eihbear Eldunari Gwenvael Kirin Kyddin Laisren Leighton Lorlen Martris Micah Osen Phury Qysan Reuben Rhage Riley Rixon Rydan Serin Toffee Torin Tyailan and Wraythe

lamb

Post by lamb » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:27 am

Healing well. Still a bit of puss coming out, So keeping up with the flushing. Skin looks nice and pink :D