Decided to castrate!

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
MissBlackEyeliner

Decided to castrate!

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:51 pm

I posted an earlier topic about castration but I decided today that I am deffo getting Dylan castrated as last night all I heard was squeaks and squeals from the cage as he was bullying everyone else!
His biting has got worse as well so I think its really time to get it done!
I've never castrated a rat before so its all new to me, and I've put it off as I'm worried about the risks.

I'm just wondering after the castration (hes booked in for Saturday) should I keep him separate from all the rest for a while or is it ok to put him back in the cage?
Also I've read varied things but about how long does everyone reckon he'll calm down? And does castration help with the biting or will that just come with more and more handling? (he is hard to handle as when i pick him up he squeals and wriggles and he wont stay on my lap for very long at all when we are sat on the couch)

Any advice would be greatly much appreciated :)
Thanks

xxx
From Erin
Polo, George, Dylan, Mini, Teddy and Stanley <3 xxx

Play hard on the bridge Brian (02/12/09), Bob (20/01/10), Spoon (13/04/11) and Jacob (28/05/11) xxx

ErnieG!

Re: Decided to castrate!

Post by ErnieG! » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:54 pm

If he's hormonal for the sake of the others as they clearly aren't happy, I would give it a couple of weeks to settle, no more than three I think.
Although, never had to do a hormonal castration before (and hopefuly never will).
I think you'll be able to free range for company, although I'm not the best to ask or tell :lol:

Sorry for not being much help!
I hope the surgery goes well and he heals well :luck:
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Erm... it all depends.

I've put rats back straight away, and I've kept them separate - it depends on a) what he's like post-op (I'd keep him separate if he's woozy), b) how bad the fighting is, and c) if any of the others look likely to interfere with the wound.

I find most rats calm down with rat aggression in between 1 and 4 weeks. But it can be quicker and it can be slower.

Biting - again, I find biting is substantially calmed by castration in the same sort of time span, but it does depend on why he bites - a habit that is purely hormonally aggressive will fix quicker than a habit that has input from fear, or early poor handling.

Nothing like a definitive answer is there? :lol:
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

MissBlackEyeliner

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:12 pm

Any answer is good :) as I have no idea, none of the other rats would bother him, they just like to snuggle. I'll see how he is after then. He doesnt draw blood from the others but they all run away from him in the cage and out, and hes really keen to bully my George and it looks like its stressing him out and thats not fair, so that was another reason why I decided.

He was a rescue from P@H and he was 4 months old when I got him so he just started with nipping fingers and the backs of legs etc, but recently hes been running up and intentionally biting me harder, probably to see what I'd do lol

Hopefully he'll become squishy afterwards, just gonna worry about him getting it done!

xxx
From Erin

Play hard on the bridge Brian (02/12/09), Bob (20/01/10), Spoon (13/04/11) and Jacob (28/05/11) xxx

ErnieG!

Post by ErnieG! » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:14 pm

Oh the little so and so :P

I hope castrating helps!
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

MissBlackEyeliner

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:21 pm

Yer me too so much! Hes a little trouble causer and I had to be up at 6 as well, had no sleeping coz of all the fuss in the cage lol
Oh and I phoned one vet and they said £72 and another said £50, is that reasonable? I've got with the £50 one, they are a good vets like, I hope they understood that I said rat and not cat! lol haha

xxx
From Erin

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:26 am

Neither is unreasonable - I pay about £65 at the moment. The experience of the vet is what really matters.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:28 pm

:lol: My usual vets charge £90 for a castrate. The vet who im seeing is charging £46.66 - it varies so much! The second vet is recommended on here, the first seems pretty experienced so I went for the cheaper option.
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

MissBlackEyeliner

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:14 pm

I'm not really sure how they are with small animals :S I've never taken my rats to this vets! SO I'm mega worried now! I'll see how the vet is with him when he has his pre-op check and if they are poor with that then I'll not let them do the operation

xxx
From Erin

emma10

Post by emma10 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:43 pm

Which Vets is it? (PM me if you cant say here) I've heard amazing reviews about one in the LIV if you need to find another one xx
Mummy to Billy, Maxi and Bilo <3

Goodbye Dento, hope you find a forever home my squidgey<3

MissBlackEyeliner

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:24 pm

I usually take my dogs to this vets and they are really good! And when Dylan had his pre op check yesterday the vet who seen him was really good, wasnt even bothered when I said he bit, so that was good, hopefully they will be good! I'm trusting my baby with them

xxx
From Erin

MissBlackEyeliner

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:54 pm

I'm just asking if Dylan will be getting any medicine to take after his castration? Like baytril or anything? Just so I know what to expect

xxx
From Erin

emma10

Post by emma10 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:18 pm

When Dento was done he didnt recieve anything. Although the vet said if he wasnt himself in the morining he could have some pain relief.

He was very funny once he got home, he just flopped on my knee all night, prpare yourself for a squishy monster for a few hours! xx

MissBlackEyeliner

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:28 pm

Hes not squishy ever like! Hates to be picked up or anything so we shall see tomorrow, I'd love to be able to sit with him and make him feel better, I bought him some chocolate yogarht to make him feel a bit better for a treat lol

I'm just worried about infection or anything but we shall see if he gets anything.

Thanks for the reply

xxx
From Erin

emma10

Post by emma10 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:30 pm

He should be fine as long as he doesnt try and bite them out, Dento hs his teeth filed down so he couldnt. Yer enjoy having a squish for a few hours :) xxx