Difference between ventipulmin and ventolin syrup??

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
fatsoratso

Difference between ventipulmin and ventolin syrup??

Post by fatsoratso » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:34 pm

Is there a difference between ventipulmin and ventolin syrup?

We'd been using the ventipulmin our old vet issued us with until it ran out the other day and we got some more from our new vet who gave us ventolin syrup which he said was the same thing. It seems to be quite a different consistency though and smells very different. The ventipulmin is very gloopy and smells a bit like glue whereas the ventolin syrup is much more watery and smells kind of sweet.

My rat Ollie refuses to eat the ventolin syrup even when it's hidden in his favourite foods (yoghurts etc) but is used to eating the ventipulmin straight from my finger. I also don't think the ventolin is having the same effect on him... I've managed to get some of the ventolin into him these last few days with little effect so I went back to the old bottle of ventipulmin to scoop out the last bit and gave it to him and immediately his breathing sounded a lot better...

I'm guessing it's the same active ingredient but there must be some difference?

:-?

Neotoma

Re: Difference between ventipulmin and ventolin syrup??

Post by Neotoma » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:31 pm

It's probably the same active ingredient but just in a different type of syrup. E.g. noroclav tablets and synulox liquid are exactly the same thing biochemically, but in a totally different matrix.

If the rat has strong opinions I'd ask the vet for the prefered option and explain why.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

fatsoratso

Re: Difference between ventipulmin and ventolin syrup??

Post by fatsoratso » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:38 pm

Lol Ollie knows exactly what he wants. He's not taking the ventolin orally at all. Ventipulmin he'll have straight off my finger!! Funny boy. :) But we're going to nebulise with ventolin now anyway so he won't have much of a choice... :-|