2 years and 4 months..

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
angiee-w

2 years and 4 months..

Post by angiee-w » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:26 am

Do you think thats too old to neuter? I want to get Eddie neutered so i can put him in with my girls but i'm so scared if something happened to him i would never forgive myself.. What should i do??? :(
<3 Eddie, Tiffany, Iris, Bluebell, Callie, Pearle <3
<3 RIP Boston Grace Molly Percy <3
.. This wont be a goodbye, but i will see you some day soon

angiee-w

Re: 2 years and 4 months..

Post by angiee-w » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:28 am

Just to add, his brother died two weeks ago so he is alone. I can't get a friend because my landlady wont allow me to get anymore.. This is why i feel stuck because i love him so much and want whats right for him which is why i'm asking here. Please don't think i'm being cruel keeping him alone.. I don't know what options are around and need to know so i can do whats best for him..

izzerie

Post by izzerie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:15 am

I think it depends entirely on the rat. If he's healthy and doesn't seem old then it's worth considering. You need to bear in mind that there is always a risk with anaesthetic and this risk does increase with age. I think you need to discus it with the vet and see what they say.

If the rat is not in great health or the vet thinks the risk is too great then unfortunately you may need to think about whether it will be best for your rat to be rehomed if you are not allowed to give him the company he needs. I know that's really tough and sad but it may be what is best for him.

Big hugs to you!
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:25 am

If you're not allowed to get him a friend your choices are:

1) neutering - cons are that the risks are probably greater, as the heart might be weaker etc. It's not impossible (I've known girls delumped at that age), but tbh I wouldn't put a rat under gas at that age unless there was a pressing medical reason. I would be very very reluctant to neuter (and as the eunuch horde of squish can attest, I'm not generally a reluctant neuterer).

2) rehome him to someone with a group where he is likely to intergrate

3) keep him on his own

4) sweet talk your landlady into letting you take a neutered boy as a friend for him, who can then go in with the girls later

If your landlady is at all sweet-talkable, 4 would be the favoured option. If not, then which is best of 2 and 3 depends very much on how he is alone (some old rats settle into a little routine and don't actually care that much about company - some really pine for company), what his health is like, and how stressful he would find moving elsewhere. It's not really a situation with a right answer - it's a judgement call on what you feel would suit him best out of the options.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

angiee-w

Post by angiee-w » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:13 pm

I've booked him in to see the vet for his opinion. Eddie does sneeze and a little bit chunky but otherwise he's really healthy.
I worry about putting him in with other rats because it took him a year to re-introduce Percy back with him.. I worry hes lonely but he doesn't make me think he is because when I lost grace you could clearly see molly was lonely but he seems happy but it's more me who's worried about him

I am trying to plead with her by saying if I can get a foster for him, but I'm scared to intro him to another older boy.. I think younger would be too much for him..
I'm trying to exhaust all option before I think about giving him away, if I did if want to see him everyday :(

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:17 pm

Well, the other thing you have to think about if he was hard to introduce before, is whether the op would actually gain you anything - it's big risk if there is a fair chance he might not intro to the girls.

No harm in getting a vets opinion, but personally it's not something I'd do at that age, even in a healthy rat.

angiee-w

Post by angiee-w » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:44 pm

I'm working on the landlady. She's really nice so I'm hoping she will agree but do you think fostering another boy would be a good option for him or do you think he is happy on his own? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question but I just want to do the right thing for him

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:29 pm

Fostering a neutered boy seems a sensible idea. Not sure about unneutered if you have had issues in the past (plus you just end up with this situation again).