Albert's porphy eye

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
izzerie

Albert's porphy eye

Post by izzerie » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:29 am

The last couple of days Albie has had an incredibly porphy eye. The other eye is fine, it's just the one. I have a pic:

This isn't the worst I've seen it, it has been much worse than this.

He's on the last few days of a two week course of baytril&doxy for respy noises but he's absolutely fine now, just making sure that's it's completely gone by finishing the course. No one else in the cage has any symptoms, the only other health problem in the cage is Sid's abscess. There is a little boy in another cage that has had respy issues and an infection in both eyes but his eyes are all cleared up and he is at the end of his course of AB's as well- these two never come into contact and I wash my hands and change my shirt between the cages.

Any ideas what it could be? Anything to worry about? I've been giving him the eye drops that were prescribed for the other little boy but they haven't made much of a difference so far.
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats

acapae_wolf

Re: Albert's porphy eye

Post by acapae_wolf » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:39 am

Looks a bit like the same as Esk had to me, especially if it's just one eye:
http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community/v ... 4&t=154876

Her eye was just sort of leaking porph - but there was a lot of cleaning so other than when she'd just woken up she didn't have any rings. When just awake it did look similar to your lad though.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:14 pm

It's probably either an infection or an inflammation due to irritation. Both can be treated with eye drops, but they need different types. I would take him to the vet so they can clean it up and have a careful look at what is going on - no point in treating the wrong thing.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

Beeratz

Post by Beeratz » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:31 pm

This looks exactly how my boys was yesterday!! I had him at the vet this morning and they put him under anaesthetic to have a good look at his eye as he's got a lump there which he's had since being a baby, but they couldn't find anything wrong at all!! I'd still suggest a check-up just to be safe though :-)
My boys Atlas, Orion, Hermes, Typhon, Chaos, Helios
My bridge boys Zeus, Achilles, Apollo, Morpheus xxx sleep well babies xxx