Vets bill

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
emily97

Vets bill

Post by emily97 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:36 pm

Hi all,

Today one of my ratties ( Heidi ) had a operation on her eye, the reason for this was that her eyelashes had grown on the eye so the vet put a stitch by the top of her eye to kind of fixt it up back into position its hard to explain but you get the idea, any way it all went well so I picked her up from the vets and the vets bill was £126.94 the vet told the nurse to take it down to £100.00 this bill was for Heidi's operation and my other ratties matacam so if I take the metacam of its £81.66 my dad seems to think that’s way to much for a rats vet bill and keeps moaning about it ( Just so you know he isn't paying I am :roll: ) any way is that really that expensive. I didn't think so.

Thank you for your help.
Emily and my four lovely girlies Topsy :girly: , Heidi :dumbogirly: , Sophie :baby: and Vanity :baby:

RetroLemons

Re: Vets bill

Post by RetroLemons » Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Im confused, how much did you actually pay in the end? :lol:

Either way, my parents are the same. Except they usually laugh and say something about the financial responsibility of owning pets :lol:
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

emily97

Post by emily97 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:01 pm

In the end £100 but the operation for Heidi was £81.66. So is £81.66 really that expensive. sorry for the confusion Im very stressed today.
Emily and my four lovely girlies Topsy :girly: , Heidi :dumbogirly: , Sophie :baby: and Vanity :baby:

RetroLemons

Post by RetroLemons » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:05 pm

That's okay, I just got a bit confused will all the numbers :oops: That doesnt sound too bad at all really!
From Rowan and the Fuzzlets! Miss you Kenco, Salt, Pretzel, Delilah, Moony & Bailey :( x
RatPad Hammocks - New hammocks out now! Oh and 20% of pre orders go into the rescue pot ;)
10% of your order going to a rattie rescue every time!

emily97

Post by emily97 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:11 pm

Thank's thats what I though but i've never had any rats operated on before.

Rhi01

Post by Rhi01 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:14 pm

That sounds good to me! I paid £130 for an abscess drain and I imagine eye stuff is far more complicated.
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.

Bazu

Post by Bazu » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:20 pm

Non-rat-owning people seem to think that the smaller the animal is, the cheaper the bills should be, but having pet rats has taught me that the opposite is true :lol: In all fairness, performing surgery on a rat's anything is probably harder than on a dog's, for instance, both through the fewer times the vet probably has to do it (i.e. less practiced at it) and the much smaller working area!
Orca, Minke, Myst, Nova, Exi and Fye

Never forget you Isis, my little whiskery angel...

emily97

Post by emily97 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:25 pm

Thank you guy's, it is not really that much money it just seems it to my dad and its alot when you haven't got much. But I always have money put to one side just incase the ratties get sick.

ratwoman1958

Post by ratwoman1958 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:28 pm

your vets are a lot more expensive than mine, I pay approx£40 for a tumor removal
Rats are like chips, you just can't have one!

emily97

Post by emily97 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:37 pm

My vet specializes in small animals so not sure if that makes a difference. :-| But thank's for your reply it's nice to have lots of opinions to work with.

not_ginger

Post by not_ginger » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:50 pm

I paid £120 for Rooney's eye removal and neuter, so I'd say £81 is very reasonable.

Hope she continues to heal ok. :luck:
*Angela*
And Ronan :smileyrat: ,Riddle :smileyrat: ,Ralph :dumbo: ,Roland :dumbo: ,Boots :teen: ,Bloo :teen: ,tilty Roobarb :teen: and the new babies Baldrick :baby: and runty Gaspode :dumbobaby:
R.I.P rainbow rats :rainbow: Missing Rooney already :(

emily97

Post by emily97 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:52 pm

Thank you, she seems fine just like her old self. :dumbogirly:

Wasanifu

Post by Wasanifu » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:53 pm

I was quoted about £65 for an abscess removal and thought that was very fair. When they break it down for you; consult (£13) plus gas, plus meds while under plus take home medication I thought it worked out pretty fair.
Tiff & Rommie (Rats) Ludlow and Atticus (Syrian Hamsters)
RIP: Guthrie (August 2009-June 2010) Simba (September 2008- December 2010)- Syrian Hamsters

pumpkinpie83

Post by pumpkinpie83 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:01 pm

I am a bit confused by our vets.

A couple of weeks ago my cat decided to eat an elastic band, she had treatment and had to be kept in, that cost £41.16.
Last week Rascal had a swollen foot so I took him in, they asked if I could hold him while they tried to drain fluid off to see if it was an abscess, I tried but he kept wriggling so they gave him some gas, in total his treatment was £79.02??? They charged me for the gas but they choose to do it? I got that taken off but it was still £50.02, more than a cat? I don't begrudge paying it but they don't have a price list so I never have a rough idea of how much it is going to cost.

Another thing that annoyed me with vets or should I say emergency vets recently was when I found Rocky dying, he was struggling to breath so didn't want to make him suffer, i had to take him to teh emergency vets as it was out of hours. They wanted £129 to put him to sleep. :o
I didn't end up paying it, by the time i got there he was already unconcious, the vet said she would give him an injection to help him pass but not charge me. I must say it was the nicest thing anyone has ever done for my boys.
To the world you are a rat, but to me you are my world.
I love to hug a hoody!
Penny - Owned by Rocky, Rascal, Wallace and Gromit.
Waiting at the bridge - Reggie, Ronnie, Rizzo & Remy.

Bazu

Post by Bazu » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:19 pm

pumpkinpie83 wrote:i had to take him to teh emergency vets as it was out of hours. They wanted £129 to put him to sleep. :o
I hate that about emergency vets :( Something like £80+ of that would have been added purely because your regular surgery had closed.

The thing is, I can partly understand it - the vet/nurse, receptionist etc on duty all night have to be paid, and those are what would be called 'unsocial hours' and so probably count for double or even triple their usual rate. If they typically only get 3-4 visits over that period, those 3-4 visits have to cover the wages of everyone present, the additional power bills etc. I'm sure a premium is chucked in on top of that, but it's probably not as much as it first appears.

It doesn't mean I like it any more, but I can grudgingly accept the reasoning...
Orca, Minke, Myst, Nova, Exi and Fye

Never forget you Isis, my little whiskery angel...