New rat. . .health problems. . advice needed please!

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Julie_Ann

New rat. . .health problems. . advice needed please!

Post by Julie_Ann » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:59 pm

Hi,

Hoping I can get some advice from someone with more experience than me. . .

Just acquired three female rats. . .in very poor condition. . .two needed to be put to sleep today and the other one (Peach) has been put on Baytril for a respiratory infection. I wanted to introduce her to my existing female rats (especially now that she is alone) BUT I don't want her to pass on the infection to my healthy rats. How long should I wait, after the infection has subsided, before I try introductions?

Peach also has a very red, scabbly tail with a lot of scales missing. I don't know what has caused this (I read that too much protein or ringworm can cause it...)? The vet suggested Sudocreme - does anyone agree/disagree with that?? Or have any other suggestions? Will the antibiotics clear the scabby tail too?

She is around 22 months old, if that helps.

Thanks!

Rach210

Re: New rat. . .health problems. . advice needed please!

Post by Rach210 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:39 am

Personally I think I'd wait until the antibiotics are finished, just to be on the safe side. I wouldn't want to take any chances.
Owned by Jack and Charlie my two fatty ratties

MistressSadako

Post by MistressSadako » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:23 am

I would quarantine as best you can for 2 weeks, that's usually sufficient. Can't help with the tail, sorry. Best of luck with her :love:
Stacey and the residents of Muse Rattery
Missing all my past ratties :hearts:
North of England Rat Society - next show Saturday 25thJune, Preston

Julie_Ann

Post by Julie_Ann » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:13 pm

Thanks guys :)

Unfortunately Peach isn't looking great - she literally turned Blue while I was giving her ABs and was gasping for air. Never had a rat that bad before. The worst I've ever experienced was a healthy male with a rattly chest which cleared up after a few days of ABs. This doesn't look good though. So she may not even make it past the quarantine stage :(