Apply AB's to Abcess Topically - HELP!

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Claire.

Apply AB's to Abcess Topically - HELP!

Post by Claire. » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:54 am

Hi guys

My youngest rat, Misty (shes 1 year and 8 months), has a facial abccess. It appeared very quickly on Monday and opened on Wednesday. I have Baytril and Synolux from the vet. He wouldn't prescribe antirobe and I had to beg for synolux.
Thing is she wont take any! I've done all the usual tricks, malt paste, baby food, treats, bread etc. Nothing. She tastes it then goes a bit weird for a few minutes and wont have any more.

So I'm wondering about applying the synolux topically? I have it in tablet form, and I heard somewhere that if I still crush it and mix with a bit of water I can apply it to the open abcess?

Hope someone can enlighten me as shes getting visibly poorly now. I know there may be an underlying problem but I want to try as hard as I can with the abcess in case thats all it is
Five lovely girlies - Maisie :girly: Maggie :girly: Mini :girly: Misty :girly: Molly :dumbogirly:

Missing my first girls - Milla :love: Missy :love:

Betterstar

Re: Apply AB's to Abcess Topically - HELP!

Post by Betterstar » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:37 am

I don't know about applying it topically, but you could crush it, mix with water/ribena/something tasty and syringe it directly into her mouth?

Are you bathing the abscess at all to prevent further infection? We've had a lot of success putting manuka honey on abscesses to stop germs growing..
Sian & Boojum, Minnow, Poot, Esme, Oak, Burdock, Ptarmigan, Blunder and Jacques.
Missing Hugo, Krindle, Dandelion, Baron, Winder, Snark, Snapcase, Snufkin, Twirl, Somer, Musket, Hodgkins, Urs.

Rhi01

Re: Apply AB's to Abcess Topically - HELP!

Post by Rhi01 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:01 pm

Betterstar wrote:I don't know about applying it topically, but you could crush it, mix with water/ribena/something tasty and syringe it directly into her mouth?

Are you bathing the abscess at all to prevent further infection? We've had a lot of success putting manuka honey on abscesses to stop germs growing..
I would have said everything Betterstar said :D
Rhiannon with Charlie, Fizz, George, Gus, Inga, Kent and Oscar.