Scaly tail

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Anthony

Scaly tail

Post by Anthony » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:24 pm

Hey there,

one of my boys has an extremely scaly tail. Like, it looks all dry and you can pull the scales back and spike them up. As a whole, he isn't the cleanest rat. He loves nothing more than peeing on a plastic shelf and then bathing in the pee, so his hygene isn't great (perhaps it's related, I don't know). The bottom side of his tail (so under) isn't as bad and is a pretty normal tail.

Just wondering what this could be, if I can fix it and if it's a problem?

Cheers ^^
Ollie :dumbo:, Oskar :dumbo:, Riley :smileyrat:, Joey :smileyrat:, Rupert :smileyrat: Eska :teen: , Erik :teen: and The baby :dumboteen:, Miles :baby:, Axel :baby:

RIP Louis, Minnie & Ginger <3

emily97

Re: Scaly tail

Post by emily97 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:07 pm

One of my girls ( Topsy ) sounds just like your boy, bad hygiene all that sort of thing, her tail get's alot like how your boys tail sounds I just put a little bit of Olive Oil on it, just brush the Olive Oil on the tail with a pastry brush or any small soft brush. That may help.
Emily and my four lovely girlies Topsy :girly: , Heidi :dumbogirly: , Sophie :baby: and Vanity :baby:

Ratty_Rhian

Re: Scaly tail

Post by Ratty_Rhian » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:21 pm

I agree with olive oil too. It's safe and works. You can also drizzle a bit over their fresh food e.g. Veg or cous cous etc if you think their coats are a bit dull.
Anwen, Ceinwen , Delyth, Hazel, Ruby, Willow :smileyrat:
Astrid, Beth, David, Dora, George, Josephine, Jonathan, Maisy, Mel, Merlin, Patra :rainbow:

Member of the EC!