Coat quality has become poor

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Becca:)

Re: Coat quality has become poor

Post by Becca:) » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:23 pm

:lol: Ahh at least it's not lice or anything, she is my lazier lady! Is a toothbrush a suitable tool for tail grooming? They all have disgracefully mucky tails since their new newspaper litter, probably due to the ink. They seem to dislike me playing with their tails trying to encourage the dead skin to flake away so I wondered if a toothbrush might hurt them? (Sorry for my endless questions!)
Mhaya :smileyrat: Sugar :smileyrat: Fen :baby: Fae :baby:

Jemma

Post by Jemma » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:26 pm

Tooth brushes are fine for tail cleaning, just be very gentle and try and not brush against the fur / scales (unless you are really gentle and flicking off a loose scale). I actually like to use the rough section of a really cheap washing up sponge (the ones with the scourers on the back), if you wet it and add some liquid soap and then pul it down the tail (from base to tip) a few times, twisting now and then it cleans off the majority of the muck. I then use a soft tooth brush to clean up any more sticky bits. If it’s the first time you have done this on them don’t be surprised if you get a load of loose scales off the tail, this is essentially dead skin, and one of the reasons why I think occasional tail cleaning is actually good for tail healthy (just like occasional brushing can help fur and skin health).
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

Becca:)

Post by Becca:) » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Ooh that's a really good idea I will buy some for the 'rat stuff' box!! =)
Yeah I just think they look so mucky at the moment, and they're always getting their tails wee'd on and such. They barely ever clean them! They used to be so pretty and pink too!
Mhaya :smileyrat: Sugar :smileyrat: Fen :baby: Fae :baby: