Slight Swelling

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
seekee

Slight Swelling

Post by seekee » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Slaanesh had a minor trauma yesterday - the door closed on her head, but apparently gently. (I wasn't at home at the time.) It wasn't on her neck, and whilst she was stunned for 10-15 mins, she recovered okay and eats/drinks/runs/climbs/sleeps fine. I got back today and noticed that her face is swollen - as if she just has puffy cheeks, but it really is slight. Again, she was happy and active and didn't /seem/ to be bothered by it - it certainly didn't stop her antagonising her sister.

I wouldn't have thought twice to go to the vets if she seemed at all put out, and if she shows negative signs at all I'm going immediately, but I was just wondering if it's worth waiting to see if she recovers fully on her own, eg if the swelling is gone by tomorrow or has at least gone down. I'm posting this because I'm torn between letting her get on with it (going to the vet is 'inconvenient', in that it's out of our way and we don't have transport, but I wouldn't hesitate if I thought it necessary) and going to the vets just in case. I appreciate that many may say we should go anyway - and I am likely to - but was wondering if anyone had experience of mild swellings and if it's likely she'll be okay. She's only young, if that changes anything.
Nurgle & Slaanesh <3

Neotoma

Re: Slight Swelling

Post by Neotoma » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:26 pm

I've not had experience with the head, but I've had minor swelling due to bruise / twisting on legs and it's been ok - however, head is obviously more potentially serious.

I think your best course of action is to ring the vet and ask them if they think they should see her.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

seekee

Re: Slight Swelling

Post by seekee » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Had it persisted, I planned to do that/go anyway, but thankfully she was pretty much back to normal the next day. Unfortunately, it hasn't quelled her obsession with doors... more preventative measures needed methinks!

Thanks for the reply!
Nurgle & Slaanesh <3