Hairless rats eye

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Becca:)

Hairless rats eye

Post by Becca:) » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:44 pm

My hairless doe Sugar had a scrap/rough play recently, about a month or so ago and I took her to the vet due to an eye infection. She actually had a little nick on the lower eyelid and the vet prescribed fucithalmic. After her two week course, it was looking better, and for the next two weeks my rats had to be looked after by my parents. I am now back home with them and her eye is infected again. I'm using the fucithalmic again twice a day, but my concern is that there is still a nick in her lower eyelid, it's healed but left a missing bit/dip - is this going to continually cause problems/infections for her? Her cagemates are always licking her eye and she wakes up with it stuck shut.

Vet consults are so expensive so I'm using the fucithalmic for another two weeks then seeing if it has cleared up.
Mhaya :smileyrat: Sugar :smileyrat: Fen :baby: Fae :baby:

ScattieMcRattie

Re: Hairless rats eye

Post by ScattieMcRattie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:36 am

if there is still infection in it which there probably is it may be worth getting a week or twos course of antibiotics to get the germs out and continue on with the eye drops also. i know vets bill are expensive but thats the responsibility we take on when we get pets. if there is bacteria in or around the eye still then i expect antibiotics will be what she needs to clear it up as the drops alone didnt finish the job enough last time in that the problem reoccured.

do you have any pictures of the eye?

if the actual eyelid is damaged, misshaped now due to the incident it may infact cause recurring problems by not keeping a nice seel around the eye and keeping the dirt out therfore causing reoccuring problems and irritations and infection. it may be something you need to monitor daily by just cleaning her eyes with a little warm water on a cotton pad or kitchen roll.

all that said Hairless rats are known for problem with their eyes anyways due to some having no eyelashes or malformed /ingrowing eyelashes, small eyes Etc.
" and the muttering grew to a grumbling; and the grumbling grew to a mighty rumbling; and out of the houses the rats came tumbling,"
Maidenhair Rattery Website
Maidenhair on Facebook
Maidenhair on Youtube

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:10 am

Hairless rats often have eye problems, due either to the eyelashes being absent (which allows gunk to get under the eyelids and cause an irritation - it has tobe removed either by the owner or the vet), or due to the eyelashes being curly or malformed which can result in them irritating the eye.

I would carry on with the fulmalthic, but also (before applying it) clean her eye with a very soft pad soaked in cooled boiled water (you boil it to sterilise it).

However, if it's a recurring problem, and hasn't started clearing with the fulmalthic within a few days, I think you need to go back to the vet. I wouldn't leave it a full two weeks.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

Post by Becca:) » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:28 am

Thankyou for your replies!

I fully understand about the vets, it hasn't seemed bad enough to panic over too much though yet as the drops are keeping it looking well.

I have tried endlessly to get a picture, though the difference to her normal eye is so small that my camera can't pick up on it! (And she is a wiggley girl!) Once she has washed the porphyrin away from it, it looks like her normal eye, bright and alert and she's stopped squinting it like when I first noticed the problem.. I discovered it was infected due to a bad smell from it, which has gone again since I recontinued the drops.

I think it's worth a vets trip again in a couple of days time, purely due to the point raised about the seal of her eye... I hadn't thought of it that way, her eye is being exposed a tiny bit and is probably fighting against this by producing excess 'goo'!

Also good idea to boil some water to cleanse it, I was wondering what I could wash it with that wouldn't hurt her eye :-) :love:

I will update after a vets trip, just hope they don't class her as an 'exotic' animal consult like last time... hairless doesn't mean exotic!!

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:34 pm

Rats (furry or otherwise) normally count as exotic in vets practices - ours do it that way. They shouldn't be charging you more for a consult as a result though.

Post by Becca:) » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:27 pm

Today was vet's day, with an interesting result!

Mhaya's coat is nothing to worry about and he thought she was overall looking good so that was a relief :)

He first put some dye in Sugar's eye to look under a light at it. There were no scratches and her lower eyelid seems to be healing nicely. However there was what looked to be a minute piece of fluff trapped in the very inner corner of her eye so he took her away to gas her and investigate. He returned in about 1 minute with a fully awake Sugar. With a nurse to assist he managed to get it out without gas, turns out it was a rather large (large to be in her eye) wad of hair or something! I can only presume that when all this initially happened, someone must have clawed her eye forcing some fluff into it while injuring the eyelid.

She has some different eyedrops - Ofloxacin I think, to use twice a day for two weeks again. I am so relieved there's no permanent damage done! Her eye is looking better already! She also has a big clogged up ingrown whisker near the affected eye, probably infected from her eye but he didn't feel it necessary to lance. I'll just keep an eye on it.

Poor girls had such a stressful visit... She's getting used to them now, knows to poo and wee on the vet right away, then wiggle and squeak like crazy!

Ooh and it was super cheap, charged me third consult which was nice!

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:02 am

Glad she's doing better now. Tbh wads of stuff getting wedged under the eyelids in hairless rats is a well-known problem - again it's because they can't clear stuff away in the way furries do. So it's something you may need to keep an eye on in future.

lilspaz68

Post by lilspaz68 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:36 pm

I had to have my nakie girl Lilith have to be gassed down and stuff removed from under her 3rd eyelid regularly. After she was just over a year old, it just got worse. She went a total of 8 times (twice we also had infections). We think she had a faulty tear duct and I would actually use natural tears and flush her eye daily. This helped, but eventually I would see her eye cloud, more porphyrin production and Lilith with the Lids of Steel had to go back to the vets again.