Could I get some advice?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Locked
User avatar
Tofu Monkey
Member
Member
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:29 pm

Could I get some advice?

Post by Tofu Monkey » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:33 pm

At this moment in time I have three female rats who each have a lump. Two of them are roughly 15 months of age, and one is 21 months.

I was told that Charlie and Courfeyrac were sisters and they've both decided to get a small squishy lump under their right arm. I noticed Courfeyrac's on Thursday and I found Charlie's today. Courfeyrac's is about the size of a small grape and Charlie's is about half that size.

I don't know how fast growing they are because like I said, I've only discovered them over the last couple of days. Unfortunately, Charlie already went into surgery about a month ago because she had a small lump on the inner side of her bottom left leg, and a rather nasty abscess that needed cleaning. The vet said that the lump wasn't attached to anything and he's confident it won't come back. The abscess on the other hand was very deep and the vet said he wasn't sure if it will ever fully heal because he wasn't able to get to the bottom of it during surgery. (It apparantly went right down to the base of the tale)

I suppose with these two girls,I'm asking whether you think I should put them both through surgery now or wait? Is it too soon to put Charlie through surgery again? The're both very healthy, aside from Charlie's stubborn abscess. With age and health on their side, is this best? Or should I wait until the lumps are causing them problems and then opt for it?

With my other girl Wasabi, whos is roughly 21 months old, I'm having real bad problems. Every day I'm ummming and arrring and I can't decide what's best. The thing is that her lump is probably about 2/3 the size of a ping pong ball. It's on her lower stomach and at the moment it's not affecting her physically. The problem is that her health is just slightly less than perfect. She's always had a slight skin irritation (she had mites for over 3 months before her previous owner treated it and this caused her to get quite dry, flaky skin), although I don't really think this is detrimental to her health though, right? She's also been slightly nasal, sneezing slightly more than usual (but not much) and sometimes she makes slightly chirpy noises). She's been on baytril a couple of times, but every time the vet has checked her chest, thinking it was going to be a problem, it's always come back clear and healthy. I'm guessing it's something to do with her nasal passage as opposed to lung problems. Also, recently she began to bleed when she urinates. She was given antibiotics and it seemed to clear up. A sample was sent away but it came back that it was nothing to do with the bladder etc... and the vet said all he could think it might be is kidney related. Since I found the lump about a month ago, she's started to bleed slightly again and now I'm thinking that perhaps it's something to do with her lump (constriction or something?). Again, antibiotics seems to have stopped this.

Here's the problem. She's a very hyperactive little girl, she's never had any problems with eating/drinking, I've not noticed any sign of slowing down because of this lump/skin condition/nasal sound.

All I can think of is: Is there that much more of a risk because of the above? because I can't see the skin condition or the nasal noises being a problem. If it was chest related then I'd think differently.

Should I put her through surgery now or wait for a few months and then put her through when the lump is becoming detrimental to her health? Only then she'll be over 2 years old and there might be an even bigger risk?

Would the experienced rat owners consider her to have a much higher risk from what you've read?

I'm just so stressed out about this, in fact typing this has got me balling my eyes out because I know I'll regret putting her under if she doesn't make it through, especially as she is so full of life. Although I don't have a favourite rat, I am very attached to this one more than most of my others and I don't think I'll ever forgive myself if she dies during the op.

This worry is making me think I'll wait until it gets too big, but I feel if she had surgery now and everything went right, she's most likely to live longer, than have surgery in 4 months time and increase the risk of her not making it. Although if she didn't make it through surgery, say next week, I might have taken 6 months of her life away....

Please give me some honest advice because this decision seems to be dominating my whole existence at the moment.
I'd also like to add that my vets are extremely confident/knowledgable with rats. I've had two surgeries carried out by them and they've both been successful. I don't know if this helps...

I will be making an appointment with my vets once I get back from my trip on Tuesday, but until then If anyone can give me some good, solid advice, I might be able to sleep. :(
My beautiful family: Robot Timberwolf, Vegan Straightedge, Bree Van Der Rat, Wasabi Ninja, Mouse Kateer Mcstare, Charlie Peaceful, Courfeyrac Karimloo, Cleveland Chaos, Ixnay Dafoe, Shenzi Kiumbe.
R.I.P my angels :halo: Tofu Monkey, Zombie Apocalypse

User avatar
izzerie
Member
Member
Posts: 658
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:59 pm
Location: Ipswich, Suffolk, UK

Re: Could I get some advice?

Post by izzerie » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:12 am

It's a tough one, a really tough one. What I would do is talk it through with the vet and see what they think is best. Don't feel you have to make a decision there and then, but just being able to sound someone out that knows your rats and has more knowledge can be helpful in making a decision :)

Sorry if I haven't been very helpful!
Albert, Annie, Matilda, Sidney, Ivan, Mozart, Samson, Pablo, Tabitha, Rose, Violet, Hettie, Billy, Horatio, Flash, Atlas, Bentley
At the bridge: Henry & Rupert

Sidney's Safe House for Rats

User avatar
myzoo
Member
Member
Posts: 614
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:35 pm
Location: wigan lancashire

Re: Could I get some advice?

Post by myzoo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:31 am

:love: hi only you know whats best for your rats but if i was in your situation i would rather get the lumps removed now while they are stronger and more likely to cope with been put under .i always think pervention is better than a cure so i would opt for surgery before they start having problems.if i waited i would worry that the damage my not be oprable or repairable it is a very hard decision because you see them so full of life and it not affecting them too much so you dont want to cause any stress or take any risks.

it sounds simple but why dont you write down the pros and cons off surgery and see what has the most i know it sounds simple but it can help but things into perspective somtimes things look clearer on paper.

i wish you and the ratties all the best whatever you decide good luck :luck:
sending lots of healing/health vibes :love:

User avatar
a_wee_one
Member
Member
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:01 am
Location: From Scunthorpe, now living in Rawcliffe, near Goole

Re: Could I get some advice?

Post by a_wee_one » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:42 am

Recently i had a lump removed from my porky girl, chubbo, while she was healing from that - we noticed a 2nd lump on her groin. We weren't sure if it was an injury or swelling so kept an eye on it for a couple of days. It didn't reduce or go away sio she has just had surgery for that as well. Within the last 3 weeks she has had 2 lumps removed. It's not detrimental to her. She was more woozy this time but i don't think she had been out of surgery as long as she had with the other one so was still quite smacked up.

The longer you leave lumps, potentially the harder they are to remove. With your older girl it might be worth taking her in for a consult when you take your others and ask the vets advice with her being a little older / slight problematic breathing.

If another lump appears on the chubster, she'll be off back. We were told with the 2nd lump it looked more aggressive so may come back so now she's getting daily prodded and pokes. Much to her annoyance! :lol:

I would definitely take them to the vet at least for his proffessional opinion. But don't worry about surgery being close together. Chubbo was litterally just over 2 weeks between hers. The only rason we didn't take her in sooner for the 2nd lump was we were waiting for infection to clear from her previous surgery wound. :luck:
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

User avatar
Tofu Monkey
Member
Member
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Could I get some advice?

Post by Tofu Monkey » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:37 am

Thanks for these very helpful posts, I'm going to make an appointment for Wednesday, armed with a list of questions to ask my vet.

As if to make matters worse, another one of my girls has developed a lump, in the same place as the other two. How unlucky can I get having three rats all develop squishy lumps under the same armpit, in under two weeks?
My beautiful family: Robot Timberwolf, Vegan Straightedge, Bree Van Der Rat, Wasabi Ninja, Mouse Kateer Mcstare, Charlie Peaceful, Courfeyrac Karimloo, Cleveland Chaos, Ixnay Dafoe, Shenzi Kiumbe.
R.I.P my angels :halo: Tofu Monkey, Zombie Apocalypse

User avatar
a_wee_one
Member
Member
Posts: 657
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:01 am
Location: From Scunthorpe, now living in Rawcliffe, near Goole

Re: Could I get some advice?

Post by a_wee_one » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:16 pm

I had 2 mice develop lumps in exactly the same place literally within a week of each other. One was much faster growing and she was PTS within days of me noticing. The 2nd lived happily for a few weeks with hers and it was actually a 2nd lump that ended up being the one she was PTS for as it was under her front poors and she was starting to struggle to walk/eat. I was pleased with ehr we had more warning and were able to be prepared. With She ra it came on literally over night and grew almost over night. Horribly vicious that one.

Some get them and soem don't. I have the Chubbo with her lumpiness and none of my other girls ahve them despite being similar age. *touch wood* i hope this is the last i see of lumps.
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests