Dehydration

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Diablo

Dehydration

Post by Diablo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:37 pm

Have a very poorly rat at the moment, she's been eating little bits here and there but doesn't want to drink, I have some guardian angel on the way and have tried her with cucumber but she's not interested, the main thing she will have off me is yoghurt which I've put some daily essentials into, is theer anything I can do to stop her being dehydrated, I don't want to foce feed her water! :(
My pests Lola :smileyrat: Ezra :girly:
not forgotten: Menace :halo: Rogue :halo: Tiny :halo: Pixie :halo: Smudge :halo: Ruby :halo: Tallulah :halo: Pandora :halo:
http://tinytherat.blogspot.com/

a_wee_one
Location: From Scunthorpe, now living in Rawcliffe, near Goole

Re: Dehydration

Post by a_wee_one » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:48 pm

Some times wetting your finger wil encourgae them to lick it off. If they don't feel up to drinking from a bottle, try a dish and try offering her it on your fingers.
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

Diablo

Post by Diablo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:03 pm

yeah I've been doing that with water and soy milk but she won't take any off me today :(
not forgotten: Menace :halo: Rogue :halo: Tiny :halo: Pixie :halo: Smudge :halo: Ruby :halo: Tallulah :halo: Pandora :halo:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:22 pm

What liquids have you tried her with other than pure water? Obviously that's best, but if she's not drinking then anything liquidy is better than nothing, and sweet things will be more tempting. Also liquids warmed to body temp. are best. Ideas include milk, honey melted in hot water and allowed to cool, fruit squash, herbal teas, human build-up drinks, watered down baby food/ chocolate mousse etc.

However if she's not drinking even from a syringe or off your hand/ finger then you need to take her to the vets for some subQ fluids. It can massively pick rats up if they're ill, and they can go downhill really quickly if they're not drinking for any length of time - especially in summer. Ideally the vet needs to inject in a few different places rather than just one or two times to spread the water out in the body for faster absorption and to minimise risk of the skin seperating from the muscle (as can happen if only a couple of injection sites are used).

Once she's had a boost she'll feel better fairly quickly and may then feel up to taking water for herself. At that point I tend to add bio-lapis powder to the water/ liquid (vets should have it or similar in stock). It's an isotonic/ rehydration powder that marketed at rabbits, but good for rats too.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:54 pm

I use water with honey in when they are ill - gets hydration and sugar in in one go. However, I agree with Beri - if she's actually dehydrated and won't take liquids, it's an emergency vet job.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

Diablo

Post by Diablo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:50 pm

i tried her with some herbal tea, and she's had a bit of cucumber, we'll be going to vets first thing tomorrow.

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:33 pm

How did the vets go/ how is she now? :)
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

Diablo

Post by Diablo » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:59 am

Sorry to say guys we had to have her PTS she'd lost 40g of weight in just a week and the vet said she would probably continue to go down hill, I am devestated she was such a special rat :(