Damaged legs or back

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
eduffield

Damaged legs or back

Post by eduffield » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:39 pm

my rat minka is not looking too good right now. She fell about 5 days ago and hurt her leg and was limping. A day or two later she seemed ok and i thought it was all going to be fine. Yesterday the problem got a lot worse. She is now very slow and basically lying still and can't move around very well. She has definately not paralysed her legs as she can walk very gingerly but seems in pain. I think its just one leg thats hurt but i'm not sure. She has squealed a couple of times when i've picked her up but not when i move her legs. She is fluffed up but still eating and drinking. One leg is held close to her body. I'm quite worried she's got a spinal injury but just wondering if people think this likely or if it could just be a broken foot or something.thanks i'd really appreciate people's thoughts
Libby Duffield
:smileyrat: Minka, my weird little black hooded and :smileyrat: Noodle, my champagne hooded beefcake.
RIP Misty, Truffle, Peaches, Lola and Ruby. I miss you everyday and love u all so much.

RattyRenton

Re: Damaged legs or back

Post by RattyRenton » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Have you taken her to a vet? It sounds like she is in desperate need of pain relief.
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

eduffield

Post by eduffield » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:52 pm

i have given her metacam she'll be going to vet 2moro
Libby Duffield
:smileyrat: Minka, my weird little black hooded and :smileyrat: Noodle, my champagne hooded beefcake.
RIP Misty, Truffle, Peaches, Lola and Ruby. I miss you everyday and love u all so much.

RattyRenton

Post by RattyRenton » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:53 pm

It could be a broken leg or just a really bad sprain. Poor girl :( . Metacam is brilliant stuff, should help a great deal

Edit: It'd be better to move her to a small cage/carrier to restrict her movement for a day or two
Heather x
and the Ratties; Marley, Dylan, Ewan, Charley, Dale, Mitch, Milo, Timmy, Archie, Arthur, Bruce and Basil

:rainbow: Thorston, Si, Dave, Roger and George :dumborainbow:

eduffield

Post by eduffield » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:00 pm

I'm so worried about her she's only a year old. I hope it is just a bad sprain she's looking really unwell. I can't believe she was fine two days ago and now can hardly move :(
Libby Duffield

emily97

Post by emily97 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:10 pm

Poor little girl, I hope it all go's well at the vets and it's just a bad sprain.
Emily and my four lovely girlies Topsy :girly: , Heidi :dumbogirly: , Sophie :baby: and Vanity :baby:

eduffield

Post by eduffield » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:01 am

Thanks its nice to talk to people on here about it because not many people realise how important she is to me. :(
Libby Duffield

emily97

Post by emily97 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:08 am

Well I understand completely I worry alot when anything is wrong with my ratties, let us know how you get on at the vets.
Emily and my four lovely girlies Topsy :girly: , Heidi :dumbogirly: , Sophie :baby: and Vanity :baby:

annc

Post by annc » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:04 am

I do hope all goes well at the vet's with your little girl
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:39 pm

I'd guess that she knocked / broke / sprained something in the fall (no way of telling from a distance), and then the injury site has swollen - which would result in both the original problem, and potential pressure from the swelling on nerves. It's also possible that she did a minor injury originally, and then exacerbated it some how.

It's not really possible to tell if it is leg or spinal from a dsecription, as either could cause that sort of symptoms. Hopefully your vet will be able to suss it out.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

eduffield

Post by eduffield » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:32 pm

Woah she's made a miraculous recovery 2day i came home from work and she looks just like her old self. Still a bit fragile but loads better. I'm hopeful she's going to be ok now but i think i'm going to keep a close eye on her just in case. I'm so pleased i was so worried i'd have to have her put to sleep. She's one year old on saturday and now she can have a nice birthday celebration :)
Libby Duffield

Bazu

Post by Bazu » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:10 pm

It might be worth taking her in anyway just to get it checked out - there's always a risk of her having another flare-up, for instance. I always go for the 'peace of mind' options where I can.

Glad to hear she's perkier anyway :)
Orca, Minke, Myst, Nova, Exi and Fye

Never forget you Isis, my little whiskery angel...

emily97

Post by emily97 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:16 am

Glad she's feeling better but as Bazu said it no harm in getting the vet to look at her. :wink:

Hope she has a wonderful birthday! :birthday: