Limping

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Tofu Monkey

Limping

Post by Tofu Monkey » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:43 am

I think my rats are out to get me with all this illness :x

About 2 weeks ago one my girls stopped using on of her front paws and would not put it down. There were no cuts/swelling and she let me fiddle with it without kicking up any fuss. I left it a few days to see how it panned out and within 3-4 days she started to put a little pressure on it and the next day she was back to her usual self.

Then yesterday night I noticed that she was not using one of her back legs (on the opposite side from her poorly paw). Again there is not swelling/cuts etc...

She seems fine in herself, and I've not noticed any odd behaviour or lack of appetite etc...

Could this be a coincidence that she's either slept on it funny/twisted it a little during play, or could it be something more sinister?
My beautiful family: Robot Timberwolf, Vegan Straightedge, Bree Van Der Rat, Wasabi Ninja, Mouse Kateer Mcstare, Charlie Peaceful, Courfeyrac Karimloo, Cleveland Chaos, Ixnay Dafoe, Shenzi Kiumbe.
R.I.P my angels :halo: Tofu Monkey, Zombie Apocalypse

Neotoma

Re: Limping

Post by Neotoma » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:16 pm

It sounds like either:

She keeps doing something daft and twisting a limb

or

There is some sort of nerve / neurological problem going on (e.g. possibly causing numbness)

Either way, with a second occurance, I would suggest a vet trip for an opinion.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

Tofu Monkey

Re: Limping

Post by Tofu Monkey » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:45 am

Thank you. I will take her along with my four lumpy girls, when I go in tomorrow. :)
My beautiful family: Robot Timberwolf, Vegan Straightedge, Bree Van Der Rat, Wasabi Ninja, Mouse Kateer Mcstare, Charlie Peaceful, Courfeyrac Karimloo, Cleveland Chaos, Ixnay Dafoe, Shenzi Kiumbe.
R.I.P my angels :halo: Tofu Monkey, Zombie Apocalypse