Could it be hayfever or resp probs?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
lavenderlush

Could it be hayfever or resp probs?

Post by lavenderlush » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:55 pm

Hi there, I've booked in 2 of my 6 month old boys, who are brothers, to the vets for tomorrow morning cos at first one of them was sneezy and respy sounding, then a couple of days later his brother sounded the same, so I dosed them up with baytril for 4 days. I've not given them any today, plus they sound 100 times better now, am still going to take them along to vet though but just wondered if it's a respiratory infection issue or does anyone think it could just be hayfever? The reason I ask is because the days they sounded sneezy/respy was the same days I had the patio doors open, which are in the same room, and the fan on to cool their cages down, do you think it might have been down to allergies or/and the fan blowing on them? The others didnt seen to be affected. I just want to be aware of what I need to push as regards meds from my vet tomorrow as it'll probably be a course of Baytril which is the first thing thats usually tried and I'm going on hols in a week and would love to have the correct diagnosis/meds on hand if they start sneezing again so my friend doesnt have to worry that the meds not working. Has anyone else noticed their ratties sneezing and having a noisy chest when doors open in summer? :???: If theres chance it could be hayfever/allergies then whats the med I need to look out for him prescribing and whats the usual dosage? many thanks x
My cheeky Girls: Buffy,Sweep,Pepper,Tinsel,Elf,Pinza,Melon,Papaya
My muscle men: Oscar, Nimbus,Raven,Zorro,Ollie,Hercules,Anson,Hermes,Hector,Ralph,Rory
Resting over the bridge: Snickers,Caramel,Fudge,Blueberry,Cherry

Toribob

Re: Could it be hayfever or resp probs?

Post by Toribob » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:05 pm

I wouldn't have thought a 4 day course of baytril would be enough for the rats. My vet prescribed at least a two week course of upper respiratory tract infection.

SuzyN

Post by SuzyN » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:57 pm

It is nowhere near enough, you definitely need 14 days for it to be effective, and whilst you may see an improvement after 4 days you really need to complete the course. :luck:
All of our past ratties will always hold a special place in our hearts.

Aquarius Stud breeding for British Blue, British Blue Agouti and Black, also from 2011 Burmese, Wheaten Burmese, Siamese, Golden Himalayan.
http://www.aquariusrattery.co.uk

lavenderlush

Post by lavenderlush » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:13 pm

Thanks Toribob & SuzyN, The Baytril I'd given them was some I'd had left over from a previous vet visit and there's literally only enough for 1 more dose each so I'm assumimg my vet will prescribe some for them tomorrow anyway, I was just dosing them up in prep to start meds for when I see my vet, my querie was to whether anyone else thinks it sounds possible that it's a hayfever issue they may have? If so, what is normal to have prescribed, any brand names should be expecting and pros & cons of taking them, or if its a resp infection is it best to run Baytril alongside Ronaxan?
My muscle men: Oscar, Nimbus,Raven,Zorro,Ollie,Hercules,Anson,Hermes,Hector,Ralph,Rory

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:18 pm

It is possible for it to be an allergy (in which case the vet would probably give an antihistamine), but it is more likely to be the normal rat resp issues, as there is no reason for an allergy to clear up with baytril.

If they have cleared up on 4 days baytril, I would continue with that for at least 2 weeks - I don't think you need to add ronaxan if the baytril is working (especially if it is only upper respiratory that is affected), you may as well keep it in reserve for when needed.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

lavenderlush

Post by lavenderlush » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:24 pm

Thanks Neotoma, I dont have any reserves of other meds anyway :( Ok, will concentrate on getting more Baytril. Was just curious as to whether hayfever, like in humans, comes and goes depending on pollen count, grass being cut etc, but it probably IS upper resp as you say, given on how many ratties suffer this, I've only ever had girls who had resp issues... Oh I tell a lie, had 1 boy too. Thanks you 3 for info xx

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:31 pm

I meant metaphorical reserve :wink:

I would assume they can get hayfever, but in 12 years I've not met it. In fact none of my resp issues have ever been anything other than the standard infections (except for one which was lung cancer - but don't worry about that, it's uncommon, and it was obvious). Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but I'd always rule out the more likely option first.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

lavenderlush

Post by lavenderlush » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:55 pm

I bet that was difficult to deal with, the lung cancer. Did you suspect it was more serious than resp issues from the onset? :cry:

lavenderlush

Post by lavenderlush » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:08 am

Back from vets with Ralph & Rory, he's put them on an 8 day course of Ronaxan, he says it sounds like an upper resp issue and wants to clear away any risk of mycoplasma while they're still young, hence the Ronaxan and not Baytril, wish I'd have asked for some Baytril anyway to have in.