Vet check

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Razcox

Vet check

Post by Razcox » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:37 pm

When people get a new rat or kitten do you get them vet checked?

With puppies we have always popped them to the vets for a check over within a couple of days of owning them. Its good to get them on the system and intoduces them to the vet.Just wondering if the same sort of thing applies to rats.
Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut her up with cookies.

Proud doggie mommy to Cassie, Ela and Raina - http://www.lukoinortherninuits.co.uk, rats Cookie, Pip, Noodle and the rat formally known as Charlotte.

Jemma

Re: Vet check

Post by Jemma » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:46 pm

I never have, but to be honest after keeping rats for so long I am more likely to pick up on potential problems than my vets (something they would agree with too as I’ve often brought rats in that they’ve not been able to tell had problems). It is a matter of experience though, if you are inexperienced with rats or your vets are experienced it could be really valuable. I must say though if I’m at the vets with another rat and I have some youngsters around I do tend to bring them along to just get a feel for the place and meet the vet and nurses (who love rats).
Jemma
Muse rattery
North of England Rat Society - next show Preston 25th June

CrazyBadger

Post by CrazyBadger » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:03 pm

I have in the past, but I think I would probably not bother now. I sometimes take others along with me when I go with whoever needs to go, so they are all registered etc. Last time I went with newbies for a general check I got charged a Whopping £32 consultation fee to be told they were perfectly healthy :o
^^^ Owned by Spyro :smileyrat: Skittle :smileyrat: Badger :dumbo: Shadow :dumbo: Whisper :smileyrat: and Smudge :smileyrat: ^^^^

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:16 pm

No, not unless they look like they need it.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:05 pm

Not routinely, nope! But if someone else is going to the vets then they come along too - to experience a bit more travel and the general smells of the vets.
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

annc

Post by annc » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:29 pm

I get them on the system with the receptionists, but that's all.
Ann Clifton
Rattie mum to Batgirl,Wingnut,Ratarilda,Easter,Smeeze,Squeakles,Dika,Star,Autumn,Winter,Tinsel, Christmas,Rattifer Ratalie,Badger,Ermine,Belle,Steele,Lightning & Lumiere
Hamster - Chip - Numerous hamsters and ratties at the bridge.