A tad bit worried after castration

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
MissBlackEyeliner

A tad bit worried after castration

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:49 pm

My Dylan was castrated today and I picked him up at about 430. He drank and ate on the way home in the car, but now he wont eat and he hasnt had a drink since :S
Is this normal or should I be worried?

xxx
From Erin
Polo, George, Dylan, Mini, Teddy and Stanley <3 xxx

Play hard on the bridge Brian (02/12/09), Bob (20/01/10), Spoon (13/04/11) and Jacob (28/05/11) xxx

tagalong

Re: A tad bit worried after castration

Post by tagalong » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:55 pm

just leave him to settle and sleep the rest of the anaesthetic off -see if he eats and drinks later tonight -some take longer than others to get back to normal
hope he is Ok
My boys: Sooty ,Sweep, Cookie, Muffin ,Fugles
My girls: Roxy,Millie,Isabel ,Polly
and all my little ones past and present

MissBlackEyeliner

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:15 pm

I may have posted too soon! lol he wouldnt eat all the lovely food I cooked for him, but he'd have come cheese and chocolate yoghart from my dad! lol

xxx
From Erin

Play hard on the bridge Brian (02/12/09), Bob (20/01/10), Spoon (13/04/11) and Jacob (28/05/11) xxx

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:32 pm

MissBlackEyeliner wrote:I may have posted too soon! lol he wouldnt eat all the lovely food I cooked for him, but he'd have come cheese and chocolate yoghart from my dad! lol

xxx
Perhaps he's feeling a little bit more solidarity from your dad! :lol:

MissBlackEyeliner

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:54 pm

Haha! I was fuming lol and I was able to feed him chocolate yoghart from my finger for the first time! Without him biting! :D Woop woop, maybe he just allowed this as hes feeling a tad bit under the weather lol

xxx
From Erin

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:29 pm

Some rats just take a bit longer to come back to normal than others. Generally if they've eaten and drunk since waking up then they'll be fine; they're just prefering to try and sleep it off. A good vet won't let an animal leave the practice until it's seen to eat and drink on waking up so he was probably just wanting to worry you really :lol: It can take up to 24-48hrs depending on the rat and the painkillers given for them to be awake in a normal way.

I'd leave him the fresh meal you cooked up for him in the cage overnight and a water bowl also. Not sure if it's just my rats because of always having bowls in the cage, but after surgery mine all drink a lot more if there's a bowl to drink from than the bottle.

Bit of extra protein and bit of extra green leafy stuff for a couple of days to promote healing, and that along with usual post-op ABs should see him fine :luck:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.
:hearts: All those who've moved on

MissBlackEyeliner

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:42 pm

I cooked him up some veg and what not and he was having none of it! Put chocolate yoghart and he was eating that! Typical, hes moving about more now which is good, I just worry to much i think lol

xxx
From Erin

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:47 pm

Something cooked and carby might be nice with oil, or some wet dog food if you have any. Something more meal-ish than just veggies. Glad he's eating something though - probably just milking it haha :lol: :lol:
*~~Beri~~*
with the ratlings: Orbit, Lanorial, Amdridh, Arkiadera, Esker, Brie, Larka and Foxtrot. Also Anfreda the hamsterling.

MissBlackEyeliner

Post by MissBlackEyeliner » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:55 pm

I gave him some ham and he had a tiny bit, I have two dogs so have plenty of dog food, ill give that a go! :) Thanks for the advice

xxx
From Erin

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:05 pm

No worries, hope he improves. To be honest, even if what he's eating isn't best, so long as there's something then he'll be finnnnnnne once he's slept it off. Just be aware that the night after an op the sleep tends to be very deep. The time when they're most likely to scare you into thinking they're dead :roll:
*~~Beri~~*