I think my rattie is going blind

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Gracelilian

I think my rattie is going blind

Post by Gracelilian » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:40 pm

I have a ruby eyed rat, he is about 26 months and he has started biting. I think he thinks we are food because it is a grab bite he holds and then pulls until he realises it's not yummy, stops and licks me.
What do you think? He is still eating and drinking and navigating, I have added extra hammocks so no long falls. How can I tell if he is blind? Thank you
Owned by Jacko, Popcorn, Ben and Jerry :D

RIP smudge, love and kisses
RIP badger, miss you lots!

ErnieG!

Re: I think my rattie is going blind

Post by ErnieG! » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:46 pm

If he's ruby eyed, his eye sight is bound to be poor anyway.
It might be that you had something yummy on your hands? Or you smelt nice.
There is a certain hand wash that my lot go crazy for and grab my hands :roll:

Does he have any signs of cataract at all?
if not, then it might just be as he's getting older his eye sight is getting worse.
Emma and the rodents, Meryl, Esmeralda and the 3 unnamed girls.
Kuzco, waiting for some friends.

Waiting for me at the bridge Jasmine, Francesca, Francis and Ebony :rainbow:

Gracelilian

Post by Gracelilian » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:54 pm

He also bit my brother 3 times ): I think it's just getting a bit worse. He is still okay and waddling about, eating, sleeping , drinking basically being a rat (: I'm hoping he isn't blind blind. Maybe just worse eyesight.
Owned by Jacko, Popcorn, Ben and Jerry :D

RIP smudge, love and kisses
RIP badger, miss you lots!

Alijane

Post by Alijane » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:24 am

Blind isn't a big deal for a rat. Lola, my ancient girl, is blind now and it makes almost no difference to her. Yes, she sometimes grabs my finger rather than the bit of biscuit, but she lets go pretty quick if I eeep at her. Most of the time, she gets it right, though! She finds her way round the cage fine and even manages OK when I put her onto the sofa when I am cleaning them out. She just potters round slowly, sniffing her way around. She sticks pretty closely to her daughter, Rosie, which I kind of hope means she won't fall off anything ... though Rosie isn't best bright and is probably the more likely to take a tumble! But not being able to see really has had no major impact on Lola's life. She is just dandy :hearts: