Advice on lice please? :-)

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
CJ Loves Rats

Advice on lice please? :-)

Post by CJ Loves Rats » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:03 pm

Hi peeps,

I have 4 rats. Pretty certain 3 of them have lice (small brown/orangey red things just visible to the eye lurking around the belly/leg area - moving too!) so I guess the 4th one probably has or will get them at some point too. Anyway - I have no idea how they got them :( My cage is cleaned very regularly! I've bought some Beaphar today (containing Ivermectin) it contains 4 pipettes. My question is - do I apply just once and they'll clear up? Or do I have to go back & buy a second pack to apply later (because of eggs). Any advice would be appreciated. And if I do have to apply the drops a second or third time, how long do I leave between treatments? Sorry for all the questions! I'm writing this in my lunch hour & rushing a little bit to type it all out on my iPhone. Lol!!

CJ

Blossomgirl

Re: Advice on lice please? :-)

Post by Blossomgirl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:18 pm

You need to apply it 3 times. So now, then again in a week, and then a third time a week later. And you need to scrub your cage thoroughly, disinfect it all, and freeze/ throw out any and all wooden things in the cage. Fabric things (like hammocks) need to be washed at a minimum of 60degrees, but preferably 90, if your machine does that. And I personally recommend spraying your cage and cage furniture with Beaphar's 404 spray, to make sure all bugs in corners and whatnot are also dead and gone.

And don't feel bad - it happens to everyone. I discovered last week that my hamster had bloodsucking mites! The fuss cleaning everything in the house, and treating EVERY animal in the house (at that point 13 rats and 1 hamster) was enormous!
Proudly owned by Bryan (Habana), Victor (Matfield), Percy (Montgomery), John (Smit), Ricky (January) and Ruan (Pienaar) - our gorgeous rugby boys.
Foster mummy to Toby.
Loved and sorely missed: Os (du Randt) and Friemel

spoiled_rat

Post by spoiled_rat » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:03 pm

Blossomgirl wrote:You need to apply it 3 times. So now, then again in a week, and then a third time a week later.
Ivermectin stays in a rat's system for 3-4 weeks, so weekly doses are not needed.
http://www.freewebs.com/spoiled-rats/
The Kingdom of Spam Ears.

Blossomgirl

Post by Blossomgirl » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:43 pm

I stand corrected.

But I do think it's odd that I've always heard the dose should be repeated to catch the bugs in every part of their life cycle. And my (very rat-savvy) vet said so too. Hmmm... time to do some research, methinks!
Proudly owned by Bryan (Habana), Victor (Matfield), Percy (Montgomery), John (Smit), Ricky (January) and Ruan (Pienaar) - our gorgeous rugby boys.
Foster mummy to Toby.
Loved and sorely missed: Os (du Randt) and Friemel

CJ Loves Rats

Post by CJ Loves Rats » Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:28 pm

Thank you very much for your helpful replies Blossomgirl & SpoiledRat. So it's only 1 dose that's needed? I will scrub the cage & everything in it this evening.

Kind Regards

Carissa

Jinx94

Post by Jinx94 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:03 am

I used the beaphar spot on a couple of weeks ago, along with giving everything a VERY thorough clean, but I will be dosing again in a couple of weeks just in case any nasties did get left behind. It might be a good idea to get another pack so that you can repeat it just to make sure that they've gone :) Although when I checked my boys the next morning, I couldn't see any evidence that they'd ever had lice :lol:
mum to Ozzy (a very zippy siamese self) and Alan (Ozzy's laid back and adorable brother)

soon to be joined by Blaise, Quinn and Luca!!!

Aliwoo

Post by Aliwoo » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:05 pm

i've only needed to apply that stuff once and clean them out thoroughly etc and that's been that. it's great suff heh
another baby woo due 22nd feb 2010 :)

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:33 pm

spoiled_rat wrote:
Blossomgirl wrote:You need to apply it 3 times. So now, then again in a week, and then a third time a week later.
Ivermectin stays in a rat's system for 3-4 weeks, so weekly doses are not needed.

The NFRS handbook states that ivermectin should be given every 7 - 10 days. I always give a course of three treatments.
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

spoiled_rat

Post by spoiled_rat » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:26 pm

Cyber Ratty wrote:
spoiled_rat wrote:

The NFRS handbook states that ivermectin should be given every 7 - 10 days. I always give a course of three treatments.
There are quite a few newer research papers showing otherwise, and I'm sure there's something on here which has mentioned similar...I will search...found it!!!! :D
AlienRat wrote:In light of more recent studies, and some data that Beaphar has, they recommend every 4 weeks because ivermectin can stay in the system for up to 4 weeks.
This has also been discussed on the NFRS forum with Ann agreeing with 3-4 weeks is the norm within the body :D
http://www.freewebs.com/spoiled-rats/
The Kingdom of Spam Ears.