Rat sucking belly in?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
AndyBob

Rat sucking belly in?

Post by AndyBob » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:12 pm

:sickrat: Just been giving my rats free roam time and noticed one of my girls went back to the top of her cage. She appears to be hunching her back, sucking in her belly is the best I can explain it and not moving a lot as well as her belly seems to be "beating" very fast. Any advice is much appreciated and if anybody in Plymouth is willing to come take a look at her that would be great.

Thanks

Andy
Last edited by AndyBob on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duke & Dodger (Dumbo Blue Self), Jim (Dumbo Black Berks), Chester (Dumbo Black Hood)
Ashen (Black Hood), Rosie (Black VariBerk), Star, Lucky & Patch (Black Roan), Ellie (Dumbo Agouti Self), Misty (Dumbo Blue Self Rex)

pinkfearie

Re: Rat sucking belly in?

Post by pinkfearie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:18 pm

Mine does this, she has a respiratory issue. Get her to the vets, Bella was that bad her breathing covered up her heart beat. Shes been on antibiotics which have done wonders. SO vets asap :D
You may be waiting 2-3 days for a response otherwise on here lol

AndyBob

Post by AndyBob » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:19 pm

I assumed as much it seemed very sudden though, is this normal? one minute she was out playing the next this.
Duke & Dodger (Dumbo Blue Self), Jim (Dumbo Black Berks), Chester (Dumbo Black Hood)
Ashen (Black Hood), Rosie (Black VariBerk), Star, Lucky & Patch (Black Roan), Ellie (Dumbo Agouti Self), Misty (Dumbo Blue Self Rex)

a_wee_one
Location: From Scunthorpe, now living in Rawcliffe, near Goole

Post by a_wee_one » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:20 pm

Yes definitely vets pet, ASAP if it's come on suddenly as it could be phnemonia and need urgent treatment.
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

AndyBob

Post by AndyBob » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:00 pm

Ok, she has been taken to the vet will let you know how she is once she comes back. Thank you for your responses. Just out of interest what can cause this? I ensure their area is dust free, feed them a healthy diet, they always have water, suitable bedding, and use ecobed as a base litter. Am I missing anything?

Thanks

Andy

pinkfearie

Post by pinkfearie » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:22 pm

Bella came to me with her resp infection already in place. I have no idea what causes hers, she lives on future bedding and I try to make sure everything is dust extracted/free to avoid a catalyst. It may be worth asking your vet. It might be bacteria caused/allergy/anything :S
RatrulesUK who used to post on here cant put one of her rats on anything but newspaper as hers had a reaction to finacard. So its varied reasons why its caused

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:25 pm

I have 3 that are all respy. These were from a pet shop though so i assume it's from being kept on rubbish stuff originally or down to genetics as far as i'm aware they're all the same litter.

I keep mineon future bedding (cardboard squares) and have always kept them well ventilated and clean. The rest of my furries are fine so i know it's somethign to do with them as a group.

It doesn't appear to me you're doing anything wrong. So don't worry too much. Some rats just get poorly.
Chubbo, Bill, Ted, Bo Diddly, Bo Derek, Brain, Daisy, Ruby, Rusty, Cthulhu, Dagon, Winston, Adrian, Lionel , N'yarlothep, Dotty, Ermintrude, Twiglet, Boo

RIP William, Orinoco, Wellington, Minni, Mabel, Ivy, Maude, Doris, Rico Suavé, Runty Rocky, Pinky

AndyBob

Post by AndyBob » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:44 pm

She has been given Baytril 0.05ml twice a day and Metacam 1ml once. Isn't 0.05ml Baytril too little an amount? I think they made a mistake and its supposed to be 0.5ml.

a_wee_one

Post by a_wee_one » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:47 pm

what percentage is the baytril?

AndyBob

Post by AndyBob » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:52 pm

Not too sure; says 0.50 mls Baytril oral solution. Its not much of a problem as we are taking them back to the vets tomorrow during normal hours so will check with them then.

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:54 am

The baytril dose depends on the solution strength (which is normally 2.5%, but maybe not always), and also her weight.

My 500g boys were prescribed 0.1 ml of a 2.5% solution twice a day, (which, once you do all the conversion maths, matches the NFRS recommended bulk dose of 10 mg / kg), so if she's smallish 0.05 ml would be in the same ball park.

ETA: 0.5 mls would be half a 1 ml syringe - I've never given that much baytril even with the biggest rats on the highest doses, so I don't think it's an error of that kind.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

saz87

Post by saz87 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:39 am

http://www.fancy-rats.co.uk/information ... ct=baytril

this is a good page to read up about baytril, it answers most questions about dosage etc.
:luck: :luck: good luck to your little one
Sarah-Jane, owned by:
:dumbo: Wilbur Wooster, :dumbo: Otto Bigfoot :dumbo: Captain Marley-Smuts
Forever missing all at the :rainbow:

pineappletastic

Post by pineappletastic » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Just wanted to say that hunched posture and side sucking can be a symptom of pain, and doesn't necessarily have to be respiratory, but the metacam should help with that. Did the vet say what was wrong?
Andrea
Owned by Nestor, until I can get him back home.
Missing Castor and Pollux, Del Boy and Rodney, and Orpheus.

AndyBob

Post by AndyBob » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:11 pm

The vet actually said she was fine except a bit "chesty" so will be getting a second opinion tomorrow as that was not my usual vet. She still seems to lack appetite for her usual food even turning her nose up at monkey nuts but more than happy to eat yoghurt and banana, she is drinking OK though so am not too concerned with the lack of appetite at the moment. Will keep you updated.