Bach Flower remedies?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Squirrel

Bach Flower remedies?

Post by Squirrel » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:08 pm

I was wondering if anyone had tried the above with rats, particularly for stress.

My rats seem to rattle when they are stressed and atm Lilac is rattling, I think because youngsters Midnight & Cocoa are constantly chasing her and trying to mount her during playtime, resulting in lots of scuffles and squawking. (They do it to Feather too. They leave elderly doe Courcelles alone thank God).

I'm thinking I'll probably start having the two groups out seperately until Midi & Cocoa get a bit older but wondered if anyone has any tips on helping rats de-stress.

Thanks.
Mummy to Courcelles, Lilac, Feather, Midnight & Cocoa

lilspaz68

Re: Bach Flower remedies?

Post by lilspaz68 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:38 pm

I wouldn't advise this if you are seeing actual symptoms. I used to use bach's flower remedy (rescue remedy) on very nervous rats for trips to the vet etc..but wouldn't use it at home if there is rattling. Then I would be watchign to see if the rat's immune system takes care of any problems or if they need the vet/antibiotics.

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:39 am

Thanks. We've started having the kittens out seperately and the adults haven't rattled since, so it was definitely stress. We have some Baytril syringes loaded and ready to go as they won't take it orally so we have to inject them and would rather not as long as symptoms stay at bay.

Do you think it wouldn't do any harm then to use Bachs for vet trips etc?

Neotoma

Post by Neotoma » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:49 pm

With the baytril, have you tried various methods of hiding it in food (olive oil seems popular among my guys, but I've used a nice stinky meat or fish paste in the past, and a lot of people swear by chocolate mousse)? I ask because injecting baytril, while ok when essential, can cause a burn on the skin, which if you are unlucky can turn into a quite nasty ulcer. So while it's something I'd do in an emergency (i.e. if a rat is too ill to eat), it's not something most people do routinely.
Alison and the horde of squish :smileyrat:

Squirrel

Post by Squirrel » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:54 am

Neotoma wrote:With the baytril, have you tried various methods of hiding it in food (olive oil seems popular among my guys, but I've used a nice stinky meat or fish paste in the past, and a lot of people swear by chocolate mousse)? I ask because injecting baytril, while ok when essential, can cause a burn on the skin, which if you are unlucky can turn into a quite nasty ulcer. So while it's something I'd do in an emergency (i.e. if a rat is too ill to eat), it's not something most people do routinely.

Yes you name, I've tried it. Tbh they did get bad scabs last time, but they healed fine. Most rats I've had will take the meds orally, these guys are awkward!