Vets Bills

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.

How much do you spend per rat per year at the vet?

0 - 50
16%
51 - 100
24%
101 - 150
13%
151 - 200
18%
201 - 250
No votes
250 +
29%

Total votes: 38

daffee

Post by daffee » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:37 am

I don't think it'll be possible to work out an average...just a contingency plan for if the worst happens . It obv. depends on how many ratties people have, where they came from and also how quick they r to spot trouble!

In the last 3 months we've spent roughly £125 on vets bills - It cost about £80 to de-lice all 9 of ours, and we currently have 1 rat under treatment 4 resp. infection. When we just had 2 we didn't have to go to the vets at all in about a year; and when I had my buck Fez at school he only had to go twice towards the end and it only cost me abot £25 in total! (I admit that was a few years ago in Devon!). On the other hand, we had to give away my 2 does i had at school and 1 of them had a tumour removed - i don't know how much that cost!

I think that as people have already said, saving a bit each month is best - how much depends on how many ratties - but prob at least £10-15. My vets charge £20 for 1st consult (plus meds) and £15 for subsequent visits (although they only chardged me £10 last week), so a course of treatment can add up pretty quick!
Midget Bambi Thai Indy Jasmine Olive Roland Lily China Jay Daisy Balthazar Matilda Monty Bob Milo Bartleby Bella Lucy Rosie Loki Towser Beamish Guinness Fudge Bailey Murphy Fleur Milly Maus Sheri Hari Sandy Fez

ali67

Post by ali67 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:53 am

Gosh, it's hard to give an answer to that. Last week I spent £230 :o . But previous to that I hadn't spent very much for a couple of months, and last week was quite exceptional as I paid for an emergency vet visit, plus an op.

If I had to guess I would reckon that the average would be about £50 a month (if you assume that for a few months it might be very little, then you get a big bill like I did last week) - now that I've got my finances in order, that's the amount I plan to put aside each month (*sigh*, £50 less to put in my pension fund :-? ). So, I'd say about £600 per year (that's not including any individual cremation costs, which cost about £70 per rat :o ).
Ali
:smileyrat: Meredith Elizabeth Jessica
:rainbow:Poppy Lupin Roger Fly Badger Fabio Dan Peter Giles Steely Yeti Brian Dillon Winston Jasper Yoda Ebony Susan Nia Edward Greg Tomsk Joe Penny Bronwen Charlie Naboo Claire Lenny Rebecca Sarah

Tara

Post by Tara » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:10 am

It is really difficult to work out an average, I've been keeping rats for 5 years and I'd estimate that I've spent about £500 on vets bills in that time, but about £400 of that has been in the last year alone :o
I find that with vets bills everything seems to come at once, in the last year we've had:
Emergency op to stich up wounds caused by fighting
Neuter
One operation to clean out abcesses that formed after the neuter and then weekly check-ups for 2 months as the abcesses took ages to heal.
A minor resp infection
Treatment for mites
And now treatment for an on-going resp problem that is refusing to clear up :-?

In the four years before that we've only had:
2 resp infections
and a lumpectomy
Most of our vets bills go on the credit card as I'm terrible at saving :oops:
Tara
:oldbuck: Bailey, :smileyrat: Ember, :dumbo: Jettrin, :dumboteen: Scoop, :dumboteen: Muck
Plus the agouti cutie fosters, :girly: Mummy Zafira and her 10 babies :baby:
:rainbow: Sleep well all my fuzzies at the bridge

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:27 am

*gulp*!! I knew our vets prices were very reasonable, but I hadn't realised just how much some of you had to pay... :o

A lumpectomy or nueter costs us about £35 (including check up afterwards), a consultation is £5, and meds are usually about £3 on top. If someone local wanted to save up a treatment fund, I'd probably suggest £5 per month per rat would be more than enough!
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

Nicola

Post by Nicola » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:34 am

My vets bills seem to come in waves!!

They'll be fine for months, and then suddenly I'm the vets best customer again for a bit :-? The last couple of months have been pretty pricey, with Jerry's scrotal abscess, Amy's lumpectomy, Rose and her ongoing jaw abscess and Cerys being snuffly on and off. Has probably come to about £200 altogether :o

My vets usually charge £60 for a lumpectomy, £16 for a consult, and about a tenner for a job lot of Baytril or Doxycycline (they usually give it to me in biggish amounts as they trust me to treat a lot of simple probs without needing to bring rats in to the surgery).
http://www.cariadrats.co.uk
Cariad Stud, for burmese, russian burmese, and chocolatey goodness!

Ripley

Post by Ripley » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:39 am

My vets charge £6.87 for a consultation, £36 for a lump removal including follow up visit and I can't remember what anything else costs off the top of my head! :lol:

Tara

Post by Tara » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:43 am

Mary, tell your vets they need to open a practice in South Wales, I can't believe they are so cheap :o
Mine are really expensive but they are the most knowledgable in the immediate area. An initial consultation is £26 and a follow-up is £18 but my vet usually charges me £18 for the intial consultation and £15 for follow-ups, 5ml of 10% baytril is about £10, neutering is £60 including one follow-up, mite treatment was about £35(consult and meds) but the vet gave me loads of ivermectin so that I'd have enough left over in case I needed it in the future.
I'm happy to pay it though as my last vets weren't at all knowledgable about rats, and the vets and the nurses at my current vets are lovely. The nurse who is normally on reception when I go in is on first name terms with bailey now, whenever I ring up to make an appointment for him she asks how is and always gives him a scritch when we go in. The vet we usually see used to keep rats himself and normally spends the first few minutes of the consult giving them all a cuddle :lol:
Tara
:oldbuck: Bailey, :smileyrat: Ember, :dumbo: Jettrin, :dumboteen: Scoop, :dumboteen: Muck
Plus the agouti cutie fosters, :girly: Mummy Zafira and her 10 babies :baby:
:rainbow: Sleep well all my fuzzies at the bridge

Rathole

Post by Rathole » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:05 am

£14.90 for a consultation, the first time i needed baytril and eye drops for oscar it came to £27, last time a consultation again for oscar, baytril and terramycin plus frontline for the cat and dog £60, i dunno what it cost individually as i didnt get a bill :o
He who lies down with rats, wakes up with holes in T shirt.

http://beltanerats.webs.com/

Cyber Ratty
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Cyber Ratty » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:16 am

It looks like RipleysRatPack has similar fees - so what excuse can these other vets have?? I can understand consultations etc varying, but the meds must surely cost the same for all of them.

Our's are very knowledgable too Tara, but they probably have relatively cheap premises (out in the sticks in a village) so maybe that helps.

I didn't shop around for prices though, I just opted for the best vets - we'll pay whatever we have to for the good of our rattys, it's just a shame there are such large discrepancies.
Mary x

my websites: Cyber Rats (picture site) / Zephyr Rats (rattery site)
(the star in the avatar is Calypso - r.i.p.)

aquajen9

Post by aquajen9 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:30 am

Cyber Ratty wrote:It looks like RipleysRatPack has similar fees - so what excuse can these other vets have??

I also pay similar Fees, Normally looking at aboiut £6 consultation, then about £3-5 for meds - although depends on what it is and how much.. Lump removals cost me £30 - then i think £10 to spay at the same time, or for additional lump removals.. Castration is £42.50..

I've spent the most on vets bills this last year.. but then before that I only had 5 rats max at one time.. and one of those rats, in her lifetime, cost me nearly £300!
Jenna and the rats of Hakuna Matata
Hakuna Matata Rattery Breeding for Black Eyed and Ruby Eyed Siamese, Russian Blue and Black. Some Dumbo and Rex.. Agouti Variegated and Topaz Variegated.

Hanlou

Post by Hanlou » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:31 am

My vet's reasonable 'cost-wise' I think. It's about £15 for an initial consultation, then about £8 for follow-up appointments. Baytril is about £6 (inc. VAT), so I really don't think they're too bad. When I took Rosie and Magpie together, though it was Rosie's first ever appointment there, he only charged for two 'follow-up' appointments. Mocha's neuter plus after-care was about £40.

He's reasonable too - when I had to treat my lot for mites recently (forgot about that!) it cost £28.70 for all of them, (8 rats) and that was including some baytril for Magpie and a consultation for her. He examined Magpie, heard me out, and then injected Magpie with the ivermectin on the spot, and gave me explicit instructions on 'dosing' the others orally for the mites and gave me the bottle of stuff to dose them.

He knows me very well (am known to the surgery as the 'rat-woman' so you can tell how uncommon rats are here!) and so was happy with this. I was soo glad, as my two groups don't get on, and taking them all for treatment 3 times would've been a nightmare, especially as I have to catch a 'bus to get there. Although I don't think he's absolutely brilliant in terms of rat knowledge, he is willing to listen and respects my point of view. He's the best I've found in this area (Another couple I tried were basically hopeless with small furries - very cat and dog oriented) and as the vet's is right next to the 'bus stop it's very handy.

Some of the vets round here are in the middle of nowhere, (impossible to get to on a 'bus) and most are more 'horses, cats and dogs' type vets, so I'm sticking with this one. Eventually I hope to move into the village where this vet's is, which would be even easier!

Errm, sorry for long post! :oops:
Love Han and the (( Lilliput Three - Nisha, Lila and Koko )) :girly:
:rainbow: Goodbye Mollie, Blossom, Flora, Fudge, Rolo, Bailey, Tia, Honey, Poppy and Daisy xx

ratty lover0099

Post by ratty lover0099 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:46 pm

near on £20 for consult where i go, and it cost me £160 to hve 2 girls in for lump removals.

expensive but when you kno he loves rats and is doing all he can for them then worth every penny. id pay more even, if i knew they were clued up about rats.
Karen.
Currently rat-less :(
:rainbow:Splodge, Hodgheg, Tia, Spot, Orchid, Domino, Rico, Lily, Fern, Dotty, Savannah, Ebony, Eclipse, Vixen, Gem, Sapphire, Aura, Bracken, Willow, Eira, Addison, Echo, Wispa, Gilbert, Albert and Herbert.

ikklebeastie

Post by ikklebeastie » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:54 pm

Wow! I didn't realise that it varied so much :o

We do try to put some money away each month for the rats, but in the last two months all that has gone straight to the vet, not the savings account :-?
I think that my vets are relatively reasonable price wise - and they definitly seem to know what they're up to, and they all love the ratties :)

I think that I'm going to increase the amount that we save per month to atleast 30, maybe even up to 50 when we can afford it, because although we're managing fine, and we have a good savings account built up (which is earmarked for our wedding) I think that if we were hit with a tumour or something really bad, we might struggle at the moment to find the money except from the wedding fund.

Thanks for replying guys, it's very interesting. :D

Midnight Rose
Fancy Rats Team
Fancy Rats Team

Post by Midnight Rose » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:15 pm

I&K2003 wrote:This has been a very expensive year for us!

ditto here!

A weeks worth of marbocyl for 3 rats was £22.95. That was my last visit. But I've had the Champers back and forth with bad chests for months now, only the Champers. Sometimes it's more (if they have nebuliser time or a steroid jab) but it's usually about £22.95 a visit no matter how many rats or the problem as she has a 'small animal charge' I think.

ETA: the small animal charge is for treatment, if it's just a consultation or a series of appointments for injections etc there is no charge. I think a neuter is £35, that what the ferrets are anyway!
Valiance Rats - London based rattery breeding to extend average lifespan and improve health in the variety American dove and dove agouti.

North of England Rat Society - Pet Initiative

Solar

Post by Solar » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:32 pm

Can't remember how much consultation is, but I'll tell you next week after pay day :roll:
Got three rats with res problems and one with a lump that needs removing and if it doesn't cost too much I'll get him neutered too as he's an annoying little git. lol
The boys: Squadcar, Paddywagon, Alkatraz and Leavenworth

My angels always remembered.