Baytril or not?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
Jembean

Baytril or not?

Post by Jembean » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:23 am

In the past couple of days I've noticed that Cushty's breathing has been a bit wheezy. It seems to come and go, and I've noticed it most when they're having their out-of-cage time; he's still as active as usual and is eating and drinking fine but I'm making a vets appointment tonight, hopefully for some time this week, just in case.

I'm guessing if they prescribe him anything it'll be Baytril, but I'm sure I've read on here that Zithromax should be used for younger rats. The boys will be 3 months this week - is that too young to be given Baytril? Is there a "cut-off" age so to speak, and if so, what is it? You've all probably answered these questions a million times before but I'm worrying. I'd hate for him to be given the wrong thing :(

Zuzana

Post by Zuzana » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:37 am

I suppose it will depend on your vet. Our vet prescribed Baytril even though Lolly was only 2 months (it was before I found out it's not suitable for young rats). I asked our vet about it later (well, one of them) and he said, that Baytril is the only registered drug to use on rats. So now I'm trying to find another vet who is more open minded. Anyway good luck at your vet's. Fingers crossed.
:love: Poppy :love:
:rainbow: :love: Lemina, Lulu,Yuna, Rikku and Spud-u-Leeka, Lolly, Buttons, Blossom, Bambi, Buttercup and Bubbles, Keaton and Buster :love: :rainbow:

Julie84

Post by Julie84 » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:39 am

Cut off is 12 weeks so I think baytril should be fine if that is what he is prescribed. As it comes and goes, mainly during free range time, I'd be inclined to examine other possible causes before medication though... Is there an air freshener in the room they free range in, are you wearing perfume/scented deodrant/hair spray when you handle them, do you have the heating on all the time and all the windows closed, are there any other pets etc?

Best to pop him along to the vets anyway as they will hopefully be able to see if there is anything else going on but I would expect him to have more continuous symptoms if he had an infection that required antibiotics. :-?
Love Julie &
:girly: Esme & Lyra xxxx
Greatly missed :rainbow: Beau, Florrie, Mario, Izzy, Schnitzel, Ellie, Kaiser, Violet & Lily :halo:

Jembean

Post by Jembean » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:38 pm

Thanks for your replies :)
They free range in the bathroom and there's no air fresheners either in there or in my room, where their cage is. There is however one on the landing between the two, but I'm not sure if that could effect them since they literally just pass it on the way through, and are usually in a carrier :-? Apart from that there's nothing I can think of, I don't use perfume etc. and the heating's usually switched off by the time they free range, with a window open if it's too stuffy.
It's strange, I just had another listen to his breathing and it sounds almost like a whistle, like when you breathe through your nose and one nostril's partly blocked.
I'll see how he is when they free range later and will do as you say and take him for a check-up anyway, better to be safe than sorry.
Good to know the cut off as well, I'll keep that in mind if (*cough*when) I eventually get more babies. Thanks!