What is best?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
scabbers

What is best?

Post by scabbers » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:08 pm

I have been reading through the health posts for days now trying to find something similar to what Woody is going through and I have found people who describe nearly the same.Since their posts their loved ratties have passed on usually the vets being involved.Now I,m feeling as i should let Woody go but I just cant decide as one minute hes got a burst of energy and will eat a small something and drink from the syringe and the next he doesnt want to know and lies there looking just like hes about to pass on.He doesnt want to be touched yet he seems to ask to get out of the cage by standing with all his energy at the bars and when the cage is open actually getting out but as soon as he is out he wants to go back and then lies there again legs splayed.Sometimes Midge pushes him away and sometimes he grooms him.Midge is hale and hearty.Woody is a terribly thin old man.Sometimes he climbs the bars of the cage to the top(i have a rabbit cage so theres no drop )but he get himself somehow to the top and then drops as his energy goes on him.This is strange behaviour for him and he doesnt seem to know what hes doing half the time.I dont want to think hes in pain or distressed and dont want to take him back to the vet to be pts if there is any chance he will be happier slipping away with Midge there.I also am thinking of Midge being left as the last remaining rat and how lonely he will be.I will be there for him of course but he hasnt been the same since Bob died a couple of weeks ago and he seems to sense that Woody isnt well.How do i know what is best?
Never forgotten and always in my heart-Red,Feargal,Menace Midge,Blaze,Bob and Woody.Weasel,Roy,Vinnie,Poppy,Bell,Buffy and Dee Dee.Also Iggy and Lenny who i was mummy to for a while.xxxxxxxxxxx