Scabby Nipple?

For all aspects of your rat's health, from prevention, to symptoms, to treatments and veterinary care.
tigershadow

Scabby Nipple?

Post by tigershadow » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:41 pm

Well poor Cheese has a red scabby looking nipple (her top left one) Its quite rough to touch but I don't think its a lump. She doesn't look stressed by it.

Was just wondering if anyone could explain this one? I'm taking her to the vet in the morning.

Cheryl
:hearts: Rats: Cheddar and Cheese :hearts:

:hearts: Bunnies: Oakley and Bailey :hearts:

tigershadow

Post by tigershadow » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:57 pm

Update: Just picked her up and its bleeding :o

We're treating it with a veterinary disinfectant lotion.

Cheryl
x

helensy

Post by helensy » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:29 am

Hope the vet can shed some light on the cause of this, keep us updated and scritches for your girl :)
:love: Static, Nymph & Indy :love:
:rainbow: Storm, Kami, Ginny, Arian, Melfed, Saki, Snoffles, Mirage, Oasis, Hope , Pandora, Hex, Anie, Pheebs :rainbow: Together Again xx

tigershadow

Post by tigershadow » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:00 am

Just been to the vet this morning and she gave Cheese a thorough check. She reckons she could have nicked it on something or had a scuffle with Cheddar, but thought it was odd that it's only the nipple that's scabby and red.

So i'm going to keep a close eye on it and if it swells (please please no) or carries on bleeding too much then i'm to go straight back to the vet.

But on a good note the vet reckons we're competent owners *i like that vet* to be able to take on rescue rats, which is what I plan on doing. Just ordering a bigger rat cage today. :D :D

KatieD

Post by KatieD » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:38 pm

:o Please keep a VERY close eye on it as it could possibly be a sign of a sarcoma or adenocarcenoma starting :(

However, it could also be just a scratch and nothing nasty. If it grows or changes in any way other than healing, get her to a vet asap.

IF it did turn out to be either adenocarcenoma or a sarcoma, it isn't the end of the world. I had a 2 year old rat, Caraway, who was diagnosed with adenocarcenoma and subsequently developed a sarcoma as well and she made a full recovery with aggressive treatment. She lived for a further 10 months after her treatment finished.
Katie and the boys
Brecon, Moss, Zephyr Mithrandir (Harry) and Zephyr Urban Spaceman (Sam)
x

tigershadow

Post by tigershadow » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:56 pm

:o If she gets worse and I have to go to the vets again, I will make those suggestions to them. Now i'm going to look them up for symptoms and keep an eye on her.

Thankyou for the help KatieD

XxX